Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 starter grinding after 12 volt Conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by droplord49, Sep 16, 2018.

1. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I’ve had my 54 Chevy on the road for about 2 weeks now. It’s bone stock, with a 235 and Hydramatic. The generator gave out yesterday and I had a few good alternators laying around, so I decided to go ahead and convert it to 12 volt. My problem is that it always started fine with the 6 volt battery(just slow as usual), but now it grinds about every other time I try to start it. I have to move the shifter through the gears and back to neutral and then it will start. It seems maybe as if it’s starting to spin before it pops all the way out? I’ve read 6 volt starters might be popping too far out with 12 volts on them? Perhaps the starter was getting weak already and the extra voltage is pushing it over the edge? Should I have it rebuilt, try shimming it, etc.? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.