Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 six and oil smoke out the tailpipe but good compression?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustic, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Rustic

Rustic

235 SIX IN MY 61 CHEVY TRUCK IS SMOKING OUT THE TAIL PIPE. CHECKED THE COMPRESSION AND IT IS AROUND 150LBS IN ALL CYLINDERS. I SUSPECT THE VALVE SEALS BECAUSE THE TRUCK SAT FOR A LONG TIME AND IT IS SMOKING THE MORE I DRIVE IT. BUT COULD IT BE ANOTHER PROBLEM? AND IF IT IS THE VALVE SEALS HOW MUCH OF A PAIN IS IT TOO CHANGE THEM AND WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT? :confused:

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Been a long time since I had a Chevy 6 head apart, but I don't recall that they had much of an oil seal on the valve stem. A small "O" ring under the retainer/keeper or something ?

In any case, I think you are on the right track. If the rings and valve seats are good, as the compression figures suggest, oil may well be going past the valve guides, either because of a seal problem or just normal guide wear.

I remember in the 60"s when I work for a Ford dealer, we would have SBF V8 and Inline 6's come in smokin' blue.....change out the valve stem seals, without pulling the head, and Bingo!.....no more smoke. It may be possible to do something similar to your Chev 6.

Smeone more familiar with your engine will likely have additional info to post.

Ray

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

An older engine that sat for a while might have enough sludge to block the oil returning from the head. I'd pull the valve cover to see if it's sludged up. If it is the valve seals, they aren't too difficult to change. It could also be the oil rings on the pistons.

How much oil does it use? Does it foul spark plugs? You could try changing the oil and use a 30 or 40 wt oil.

4. Curt B

Curt B

Umbrella style seals are available and work good IMO. Check guide clearance while you're there.

5. Rustic

Rustic

Do they offer a umbrella seal my napa store and lmc only shows a o-ring. Is this a retro fit?

6. Rustic

Rustic

Does use a good bit of oil but it does not foul the plugs,it runs great otherwise. I thought that maybe the valve seals maybe have cracked and fallen apart from lack of oil and use.

7. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Have you adjusted your valves lately?

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I would think you could use an umbrella seal from "something" that shared the same, or slighty smaller, stem diameter. Just need to make sure there is enough space between the retainer and the guide when the valve is fully open to as not to deform the umbrella.

Ray

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

What oil are you using?

11. Snarl

Snarl

make sure you didn't just overfill the crankcase.

umbrella seals from an SBC will also work.