Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 intake ring necessary?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Medic4lifejr, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Found leak at intake manifold using carb cleaner. Man,i sprayed brake cleaner same exact area, wasted cans and never found a leak.
    Are the alignment rings necessary?
    I have re-tightened the manifold bolts and still have a leak. My manifold gasket is a felpro

2. squirrel

squirrel

I assume you are missing the rings, and think that might be the problem? It's job is to keep everything aligned, but it probably also helps seal just a little bit.

Brake cleaner is not a fuel, but carb cleaner is. so it works better for finding vacuum leaks! :)

loudbang and Medic4lifejr like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Manifold warped?

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bored some guys Edmunds intake for alignment rings. It came without them. You could see by the marks that he had bolted the intake on so low it leaked. With rings he had to get the holes lined up.

loudbang and tractorguy like this.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How about that bakelite block under the carb ? They crack, warp, & leak between the manifold & bottom of the block from old age. I sand them flat & seal to the manifold with 3M weatherstrip cement.

loudbang and Medic4lifejr like this.
  6. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

I sprayed that area as well, I was only able to find leak at intake bolting to the head

7. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

my old gmc 6 cyl leaked with two different gaskets when I put the rings in no more problems.

loudbang, Medic4lifejr and squirrel like this.
  8. 270ci

270ci

Yes....to do it right they're needed. But if you don't care about a fouled gasket, then leave em out. Since that heavy cast iron intake and exhaust HANG off the side of the engine and there's minimal gasket surface around those three small ports anyway, the rings are used for a darned good reason. Just no comparison to a V8 where the intake has a fighting chance to settle into and stay in a nice valley.

9. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

What 270ci said. Exactly.

Truck64, loudbang and Medic4lifejr like this.
  10. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Ok thanks everyone i have ordered the rings. Attempted double gasket didnt work also added weatherstrip cement lol worked for a minute. So i have ordered the rings also after searching the forums also ordered remflex 2027 gasket.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Medic4lifejr

Medic4lifejr

Been a while you guys. After all repairs I still found vacuum leak at intake manifold by spraying starting fluid. I have intake manifold rings installed and remflex gasket. I'm thinking now maybe my manifold may be warped. Can a machine shop resurface intake manifold?

loudbang likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

Medic4lifejr and loudbang like this.
  13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Anyone who has a belt sander can surface a Chev 6 intake as long as all 3 ports are on the table.

14. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

I had a machinist resurface mine as an assembly

Check your shop manual for assembly. I believe your suppose to torque in sequence including the heat box.

Also if you dress it down you’ll have to take as much off your rings to avoid them holding out the manifold

[​IMG]