Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Keith English, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Keith English

Keith English

Ok heres the deal..my 235 in my 53 is given me a problem i cant figure out..please help..it will start and run till it gets warm then it dies unless i keep the choke hrotpulled half way or the throttle slightly pushed..it will not run by itself when it gets to running temp..its a 54 engine bored forty over..fentons single carb rebuild..new plugs,wires,cap,points, and co.densor..it ran fine at first..any help please

2. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

sounds like a carb issue. i had a problem with one not running unless the choke was pulled. i rebuilt the carb and she was good to go. you said it was rebuilt. do you have the mixture set correctly?

3. Keith English

Keith English

Probably not i hate messen with carbs...i set it at a full turn.. and a quarter out..

4. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

hmm i would check that. like i said, sounds like a carb issue and not an engine issue

5. Keith English

Keith English

Ok i will..thanks man

6. 72hd

72hd
    BANNED

check carb body to base tightness . grab top of carb & twist side to side-for some reason they loosen in that area-I've had two that acted like yours is acting &fixed both by pulling carb & tightening 2 screws

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

did you remember to put this between the carb and the intake?

Attached Files:

8. Good advice, I was just going to say that! It acts as a giant vacuum leak and the choke being on compensates for it. I used to see them loose on almost any Chevy 1 BBL I had in for a tune up.

I would check for a gross vacuum leak first, just so you can see the difference. Let it run with the air cleaner off, place your hand over the top of the carb, if the idle picks up and it smooths out, you have a vacuum leak.

Bob

9. Snarl

Snarl

Vac leak or plugged idle circuit. Make sure the throttle shaft holes aren't overly worn. If they are, you'll need to get a different carb.

10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

My throttle shaft bushings were worn on mine did the same, also make sure the spacer block doesn't have small hairline cracks, seen that too

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You have an exhaust manifold heat valve? If that is sticking and is not opening, it could make the engine run rough and not idle. Check that out too.

12. Keith English

Keith English

checked everything out, all the screws and bolts are tight, the spacer has no cracks that i can find..tried to re-adjust my mixture but doesnt seem to change anything no matter where i have it. pulled the breather and put my hand over the top and it killed the motor so i am thinkin there isnt a vac leak any were. i am goin to order a rebuilt one from the local parts house and try that. i need to get the ol girl back on the road. thankd for all the help guys, if a diffrent carb dont help i might bring this thread back up...lol

13. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As d2 willys said CHECK the heat valve on the exhaust manifold for free operation . Stuck closed or partly so will cause your symtoms.

14. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

the ol 235 that I had was the valve in the exhaust manifold and the spring that goes on there. it was broken and I had to add a piece and spot welded it to the proper length and curled it up a little bit.

15. Keith English

Keith English

I maybe miss understanding, but mine only has the stock intake, i removed the exhaust and added fentins...is the valve u guys are talkin about in the lower part of the intake were the two were bolted together?

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep ,with the Fentons you no longer have the heat valve.

17. Keith English

Keith English

ok thats what i was thinking just maken sure tho