Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 engine shaking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hobbyjp, Aug 30, 2010.

1. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Well I've been driving my car alot more and I keep fixing something new every week. Last week I broke down after the radiator cap came off and I had a bad misfire once I got it running again. The car didnt over heat just dumped water. I replaced a bad iginition resistor and replaced the condensor for good measure(they gave me a 12 volt condensor dont know what I was using before). Well the car starts like a champ runs and drives good but the motor seems to be shaking alot at idle. I notice when I look at the distributor it almost looks like its wobbling but the whole motor is. It never really seemed to do this before. The timing or fuel mixture might still be off a tad but she runs good. I played with it a bit today but adjusting the timing and the idle/fuel mix didnt seem to stop the shakes. any ideas.

2. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Condensers are not voltage specific. The only thing that matters is having the correct capacitance (micro farads). Did you by chance pull the plug wires when you were tinkering?-then put them back in the wrong order? Double check firing order. When it dumped water, it may have been due to a blown head gasket-that could easily cause a miss and shaking.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Could be as simple as too much advance, stovebolts don't like that. Crossed wires are a good bet, too.

4. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

I didnt screw it back on tight before I started down the road for a 20 mile trip. expensive mistake. I dont think the head gasket is blown. the plugs look good and and it runs good. When it was running crappy I didnt realize the ignition resistor was bad so I kept changing the timing took apart the carb and cleaned it and moved the distributor a few teeth on the pump. I'm gonna recheck everything today and reset everything. changing the timing didnt really stop the shaking. i would just advance or retard until it started to die but the shacking stayed about the same.

5. Are the motor mount rubbers worn out?

6. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I would check the motor mounts and trans mounts too. That was the problem in my 55 with a 235...

7. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

The motor mounts are old but Its never been a problem before. I would think that it would slowly show its self if it were mounts not just one morning when I crank it up. It doesnt shake the car either you only notice if you look at the motor and distributor. the distributor doesnt seem to have play only moving with the motor and it catches the eye more.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Old style Chevy 6's dist. do move around a bit ,the whole dist body moves when the vacuum advance is working. And watching one while the engine is running you can see it move. Now Set the timing back correctly ! Double check firing order and maybe consider a new set of plug wires if the ones on there are more than a few years old. If the engine has solid lifters check the adjustment.

9. hobbyjp

hobbyjp
    from socal

Its not the normal turning motion from the the vaccum advance.