Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 chevy six popularity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59buick, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 59buick

59buick

My previous post was deleted, so I will try again, simple question are Chevy 235 motors still popular for hot rodders?

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like anything, some like 'em and some don't. aathey certainly are traditional.

3. I dunno how popular they are but I am contemplating keeping mine in my 54 chevy, But I can never make my mind up!

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I would say they are NOt popular, most of the rods and customs I see are V-8 powered. I love my 235, wouldn't trade if for anything else in my truck. It's just unusual enough to get a lot of smiles and nods of approval at the local cruise nights. As far as power goes, a 235 will help you develop the character trait of patience, but they look cool, sound great, and are very reliable.

5. codeblu

codeblu

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

popular with the bombs.

7. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

I'm keeping mine in my '55 Chevy

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It depends on what a guy whats to do with the car he builds. 235's are reliable old engines if you don't plan on getting somewhere real fast and don't plan on taking a lot of long, hard and fast cross country road trips. If you have several extra hours for a road trip to Austin for Roundup or an extra day for a road trip to the HAMB drags or maybe a bit longer than that for a road trip to Bonneville, head on and go with the 235. Or if you don't do road trips a 235 is great but it isn't and never has been viewed as a serious hot rod motor by very many people. Back in he day a guy with a Chev six who wanted to make the car run would probably have pulled the 235 out an put a 302 GMC under the hood with some goodies in it or swapped to a V8.

9. RATRODCHEVY

RATRODCHEVY

I don't know that I would call them popular. I like mine because it's not a small block.....and they look really cool with twin carbs.

10. Yup, got the matching number 235 in my '57.

11. Won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon. It's never let me down.

Sent from my fax machine

12. We are putting one in our Bonneville car. Try the social group here.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to keep a 235 in my 37 p/u,the one I rebuilt has developed a couple issues so I picked up another that will go in soon.

14. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

Got a 1955 version in my t,with a 3 spd .love it.

15. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

'49 Chevy half ton, '56 235, '848 head', Fentons, dual Carter/Webers on a 50's vintage Edelbrock intake, '62 3sp+od, '57 3.90 rear end, daily driver only vehicle the last 15 years, 70-75 mph all day long, dozens of 1K+ trips. Fast? I wouldn't say so. Ability to merge and stay/pass in traffic? No problem.

I've got 70K miles in this configuration, got my inspiration from Tony (he's on this board), Jack (RIP great Inliner), Grant (originator of t-5 conversion, or at least a publicized one) and others of course. I chose this route (an extremely cheap way to do it) due to heath conditions that prevented me from making a lot of money, ergo, spending alot to make a prettier ride. I go to car shows and people dig my truck, let them sit in it, take pictures of their kids in it and so on and so on.

"It's more than likely you'll go your way and I'll go mine". Bob Dylan and others I suppose.

regards,

Cosmo

16. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

This is a 250 and with the billet it's NOT traditional of course. But I'm posting it to show straight sixes can be waay cool looking in my opinion. And they can do it in various styles of "dress".

And they can be made to go like hell too. I know the Chevy 292 and GMC...what are they, 302? straight sixes can run with an SBC when they're set up properly.

[​IMG]

Hope this makes others consider keeping their straight six....but in more traditional trim.

17. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Solid motors yes, cool yes. Hot Rod, well not so much... It's possible but not common place.That bieng said, Ive got three of em.

18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put my lot in with a 235 and I'm keeping the engine in my '58 Biscayne, I doubled down and got a T5 for it as well.

19. PackardV8

PackardV8

Depends on your definition of the term. Hot rodders building for sheer speed, the 235" was never, ever popular. Today, for nostalgia cruisers, yes, many consider running a 235" to show more bedrock hot rod fortitude than giving in to bellybutton. Your opinions may vary.

jack vines

20. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

I've based all my chevy car/truck buys because it had a 235. My 58 235 makes mehappy.:D

21. Keith English

Keith English

i have a hopped up 235 in my 53..and wouldnt have it any other way, they are cool to look at and i like inlines, fun to mess with to...

22. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I ran one for years in my 57. It was my daily driver. I swapped a 283 into it after it started smoking real bad.

23. teddyp

teddyp

I had a 49 with a 235 in it and it ran great but i put a sbc,s in it and like it better to me a six is like a flathead there are some guy,s that love them and can make them run like hell and a chevy 6 or a flathead ford with a set of glass packs have the best sound

24. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

I think inliners are vintage and can be made to look really cool. I am putting a 261 Chevy with a 5 X 2 two barrel intake on mine for that cool look. It will be hopped up so it will go like hell in addition to looking cool. Plus who can beat that straight six sound...

25. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I rum an inline 6 in my truck. Works for me

Attached Files:

26. Little Terry

Little Terry

I like em. There seem to be quite a lot around, but I'm not sure how many people are running them because that's what they want or how many just run em because thats what is already under the hood.

Personally it was a compromise between adding a little more power and finding a motor that would go into the truck without too much hassle.

27. James Curl

James Curl

I've run one in my 55 Chevy pick up as a daily driver for years with the OD on the three speed it will run with traffic. I commuted 28 miles each way on I35 for years and never had a problem in traffic. I run a 390 cfm Holley on a Clifford manifold with Fenton headers and a S 10 60 degree V6 HEI distributor that has been modified to fit in the 235. I do not drive it as much since I retired as I have three vehicles to choose from when ever I want to go any place. Still try to drive a couple of times a week.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Don't have a 235, but I have a 270 out of a '57 GMC that I plan on building for a custom hiboy project. Of course, performance parts for the I-line engines come at a premium, so if you're looking for power at a decent price, there are plenty of other mills that will get you there on a budget.

29. I ran a 235 and now run a 261.
    Any one can stuff in a Chevy small block and for a lot less money.
    As for trips we have run up to Morrow Bay , Pomona all freeway driving from Alpine CA "San Diego County".
    Next spring its Yuma AZ
    I wanted to go "Old School" :D
    Its all in the rear-end gearing.
    We run a 3:08 with a Saginaw four speed.
    Running at 65-70 MPH not a problem.