Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 CHEVY Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchev1952, Aug 5, 2016.

1. oldchev1952

oldchev1952

Opened up my gasket kit from FEL PRO and found a flat exhaust gasket and a donut. I'm assuming I only use one gasket, not both? This is for the exhaust end, not the manifold end. (Right hand side of pic, not the gasket between the intake and exhaust...) There wasn't enough left of the original stuff to tell if both were used.

Attached Files:

• 235.jpg
      235.jpg
      File size:
      208.6 KB
      Views:
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Have to see the headpipe ...

3. squirrel

squirrel

Take pictures of the manifold where the pipe connects, then we can help you figure it out.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like every set I've ever used. Intake/exhaust combo, the one under the intake for carb heat, a donut for the exhaust head pipe to the manifold, and then for some reason a thermostat housing gasket.

5. Egor

Egor

I used the one above the donut for the thermostat housing, l did have the top end set with head gasket.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. oldchev1952

oldchev1952

Flange is shown. Thinking that theres a tapered side and a rounded side on my exhaust donut too.

Attached Files:

7. squirrel

squirrel

looks like it could take a donut. Do you have the head pipe?

8. oldchev1952

oldchev1952

Stock image. Current pipe is buried down in the car. Has flange.

Attached Files:

• pipe.jpg
      pipe.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Ancient Iron

Ancient Iron

10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are both manifold to exhaust pipe gaskets. The donut is the most usual one to use. As noted above there will be a taper on the flanges that the donut sits in when the manifold and the exhaust flange are bolted and squeezed together. In some instances the flanges are flat and you would use the flat gasket. If you have the tapered manifold/flange I would suggest that you go to the parts store and get an insert pipe-----I know Advanced Auto has these. They are about 4 " long and one end is larger than the other. You slip one end up into your manifold, then slip the donut up over the insert and then bring the exhaust pipe up over the insert and bolt it together. This will give you an inner pipe and will keep the donut from blowing out periodically.