Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 chevy dist with tach drive ??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bowtie56jw, Jan 13, 2016.

1. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

hey fellers is there such a thing as a tach drive type distributor with vacuum advance for a 235 bolt?
    i ask because in looking for a tach for my 57 chebby ive found several nice vintage style mechanical drive tachometer's but only a couple electrical ones.
    thanks man
    jeff

2. squirrel

squirrel

Vacuum advance isn't really part of the distributor on those engines...it's clamped to the outside of the housing, and turns the whole distributor.

I don't know if there is an aftermarket tach drive distributor for the 235. The factory tach equipped cars (like the Vette) that had the 235 used a generator tach drive, not a distributor tach drive.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Are you sure that's a tach drive boss? doesn't look like one to me....but I'm not an expert on Mallory distributors, I only have a couple for V8s. But all the ones I've seen have another boss below the main round housing, which holds the tach drive assembly.

Also it looks like the clamp area is different on this one, than on the normal 235 distributor. Vacuum advance might not fit without some modification?

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I agree with squirrel, this is my Mallory for a late flathead. As you can see the unit I have is either vacuum retard or advance. I have not checked it yet. Gary:) PA090015.JPG

5. squirrel

squirrel

That's what I was guessing, thanks for the pic! and since the vacuum advance version does not need the stock clamp type vacuum advance, the different base design on the 180 distributor is not an issue. You just need the right clamp.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Jim,
    The distributor in Robert's pic was in a GMC going by the holddown ...

7. I think Jim is correct here.

If it wee me I would either find a genny drive (they are not hard to come by) or drive it with the cam snout, they make a doubler to drive a tach from a spud on the cam shaft. May be hard to fix one up on a 235 but no hill for a stepper right?

8. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

thanks guys i didnt know the tach drive was on the gen. i will start looking for a gen with a drive.
    unless someone has an old 6 cylinder electrical tach for sale :)

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you want to up grade to an alternator Some Massey tractors used a delco unit with a tach drive.

10. squirrel

squirrel

i looked into the tach drive generator a few years ago, I think the power steering generator (with the pump mounted on the back of it) and the tach generator used the same armature, with the splined end on it, and mounting holes on the rear frame. The tach had a different adapter than the steering pump, of course, but it might be easier to find a generator from a 55-59 power steering Chevy, and find the tach adapter parts from a tractor.

but I never did get real far on this, so I may be wrong.

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

We had a Mallory for a Chevy/GMC 6 that we sold on eBay last year. It had the mechanical tach drive. And I don't remember if it had vac adv.