Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 Chev power steering. Help-info+pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

Going to be putting a Mustang II rack with power steering in my dad's 51 Chev hardtop this winter. The crank pulley is a single groove. Did they make a dual groove pulley for power steering? The pulley sits between the balancer and the engine with not much room to spare. I'll have to fab new brackets for the alternator and ps pump, could I get away with running a single belt? Out of the whole swap I think that this will be the toughest part to figure out.

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

is that car already a "front steer"?

3. Rocket88

Rocket88

Let me add a bit more detail. We are going to install a complete M II bolt in crossmember with power brakes and steering. The engine is already side mounted, but I'll have to figure out the steering pump mount.

4. Kustm52

Kustm52

There were some '53 up cars with power steering, but the double pulleys are rare. There's not a lot of room to mount a pump, I have seen one design that mounted a plate on the front of the engine, then mounted the accesories off of that plate, and used a serpentine belt. This setupe used a amc water pump rather than the stock one...it was kind complicated. I think I would just get a manual rack...

Brian

5. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Early 50's GM power steering pump was driven off the back of the generator.

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

one place you can check with is allen(alan?)grove.they make all kind of brackets.no billet stuff,best i remember,all flame or plasma cut mild steel.
    the stuff fits too!
    search for them on the net,should have an on line catalog.
    good luck

7. Rocket88

Rocket88