Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 belt squeel culprit? HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Greetings,
    I've been slowly tuning up an old 1953 Chevy truck (235) and recently I've been getting a squeel noise from somewhere in the water pump/generator area. I thought maybe it was a bad part in the generator so I replaced that with a freshly rebuilt unit, but am still getting the same squeel as I was with the old generator. I've adjusted the belt tension a few times and I still get the noise. Here is a link to the truck running and the squeel. Any help or reccomendations is much appreciated!
    Video link:

2. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like you might have some pulleys with different widths? the belt appears to be too narrow for the water pump pulley, but I can't really see the other pulleys well enough to tell what's going on.

if the belt is bottoming in the pulley, it will not grip the sides as it should, and could squeal. The way a V belt works, it is supposed to wedge into the V groove, and not bottom out.

upspirate likes this.
  3. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Thanks for the insight Squirrel. I recently changed the belt and a couple days after that was the first time I heard the squeeling start. I'm planning to replace the belt this afternoon and see if that helps. Thanks again.

4. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before you replace parts, maybe spend some time looking at how it's set up, and see if you can find the problem???

If there is one pulley that wants a 3/4" wide belt, and another that wants a 3/8" wide belt, you probably won't be able to find a belt that fits both pulleys as it should. My guess is that someone has replaced parts with the wrong parts, over the years.

Zac B likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 36roadster

36roadster

As Squirrel said, itn looks like your pulleys dont match your belts. Those stovebolts used a wider belt than a modern (60's and later) engine, I think it was called a "B" section belt. Repop generator looks like it has an "A" pulley, and you have an "A" belt , and the water pump has a "B" pulley.

6. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy changed the belt width around the mid 50s, and you can get dampers (crank pulley) and water pumps and generators with either size. But they need to be all the same, if you want it to work well.

7. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

I've been doing some research and it looks like 54-55ish they switched sizes on WP/CP/and Gen. Hard telling what is on this truck as came from the factory in '53 with a 216, and at some point the previous owned swapped it out for a '54 235 and no telling what parts he used.

8. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can tell what parts he used, by looking at them.

Is the crank pulley groove as wide as the groove in the water pump pulley?

9. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Ended up getting a narrower belt and squeel went away. As always, thanks for the insight and recommendation.

Just Gary likes this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm surprised that a NARROWER belt fixed it. You may have the squeal return once the new belt gets a little time on it. Were the sides of the old belt shiny and smooth?

11. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Not sure about the sides of the old belt, as it ended up in a couple pieces when it failed and then got caught up on the radiator fan while driving to work the the other day...ugh....Anyway, based on my investigation the previous belt was rubbing just a tiny bit on the top edge of the generator pulley as it came down from the water pump pulley. The narrower belt fits the generator pulley much better and I have no more squeel.
    The belt I have on it now is actually the one the autozone computer reccomended for my engine ('54 235)...I'm usually skeptical of what they recommend, but in this case I've been driving the truck daily for the past few days with the new belt and no issues so I'll take it.