Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 and 3 speed - Does yours whine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott F., Jul 20, 2012.

1. Scott F.

Scott F.

My tranny seems to whine in first and sometimes second gear. Not real real loud but it's definitely there. Doesn't do it under load in second only when 'coasting'. In first it does it both under load and coasting.
    Scott

2. squirrel

squirrel

pretty much normal for old transmissions. When I was a kid I stuck a 396 in front of one of the old Chevy 3 speeds, it made quite a racket in 2nd.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Squirt some wonder snot in it, Morey's or the like. Even STP will quiet gear noise.

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

The 3 speed in my '57 whines in 1st and 2nd and has for the last 55 years!
    If it didn't then I would get worried.
    KK

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Have some cheese with that whine!

6. hard to say ... i cant hear much over the exhaust... lol (open header)but my previous 235 with a 4 speed had the same issue , i think its pretty normal , like pope said above some good ol fashond turtle snot will help

7. Scott F.

Scott F.

I have some 85 - 140 gear lube. Is it ok to drain the trans and refill with this?

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

When I was a lot younger, and standard transmissions were the norm, you could always tell a Chevy by the whine they made. It's a unique sound and it grows on you over time, you come to expect it.

9. Scott F.

Scott F.

HA! stuck my finger in the filler hole and down as far as i could and didn't get it oily. Who thinks it will be bad for me to run GL5 until I can find some GL4? It might take me a week or two to find the GL4.

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

85/140 is for Mopars, 90 weight is what you want or some cool morning you may not get it into gear!
    KK

11. Scott F.

Scott F.

Well, the gear lube all ran out at the back of the tranny. Looks like whatever seals up the rear of this thing is need of replacing. I've read a lot of threads about several different types of seals back there. Even a brass bushing. ANyone have a decent exploded drawing?

12. My O/T 1962 Triumph TR4 has had a rear end whine for 20 years. I claim to be using the "Catastrophic Destruction" method of troubleshooting, but it just keeps on plugging away.

13. Scott F.

Scott F.

My dad has told me stories about a 50's stude that he bought for $50 in high school and tried to use that method to solve the smoking engine problem. He wasn't able to bring it to a conclusion either!

14. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Closed drive shaft chevys we used to regularly drain the excess lube from the diff and put it back in the tranny, it just would run downhill to the diff!

15. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Your oakie bushing in your torque tube is bad. Just drain & refill like Terryble says. If your trans has some miles on it, thicker viscosity lube like you've got will slow the leaking some...but it'll still do it. I'd just keep an eye on the fluid levels on the trans & diff and keep rolling until its a huge issue (leaking out the axle seals onto the brakes).

[​IMG]

I have the same issue as you with the oakie bushing and 85-140w is what I've been using in my '47 for two summers and so far so good. It is harder to get into reverse in the cold, but I just take my time and its fine. Once its up to temp it shifts the same.

That Chevy whine is such a wonderful noise...reminds me of every old Chevy my Dad and brothers worked on. They all sounded like that, its a happy whine.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  16. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Darn it, Daryl, you make me laugh. Seems as tho we shoulda been neighbors as kids or something. "That Chevy whine" as you say is so ingrained in my memory... irregular slap of vacuum wipers, whining squirrel cage in the heater housing, damp smell off that old cloth and mohair and seat stuffing. Just a sleepy 4 year old snuggled up on the bench between mom and dad, headed home on a rainy night. LOVE that whine...

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Hahahahaha!!! "Okie Bushings"?!?

18. Ole don

Ole don

Buick had a loud whine in first and second, Chev had a light whine, but the best was LaSalle. A buddy had a 49 Ford with a built 371 Olds and LaSalle trans. In first, he could get on it hard and it sounded like the PD was behind him with the siren going.

19. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

As a native Oklahoman, I take great resentment to this. In today's new normal environment, this part should only be referred to as a "Central American Bushing". :D

20. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Okie Bumpkins 20 UT 36!

21. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

The Okie bushing was made of fibrous material much like a rear main rope seal. When it wore out, the lube would run downhill, through the seal.

22. If you can't hear that whine there are 2 possible causes- you aren,t moving or you have just gone deaf. If someone could come up with a small electric pump which goes from the rear axle back to the trans to refill the oil which has gone "downhill" , you could make a fortune!

23. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

National Chevy Association makes a replacement okie bearing that you tap in from the front of the torque tube. It pushes the old one back so you don't have to tear apart the rear end to remove it. Works well.

Chris

24. snaptwo

snaptwo

I owned a '46 and the whine was there from day one . Keep the box full though 'cause the earlier trans had bronze bushings instead of needle bearings on the countershaft. I never knew of the "Oklahoma" seal and always wondered why the rear axle made oil . Learn something new everyday !