Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 "848" head info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gotit

gotit

I have searched and didnt find any exact answers to the info I need on surfacing the head and how much to sink the valves or if to even sink the valves. If i sink the valves what do I do about push rod length?

I have read that people have surfaced the head as much as .125" and sunk the intake valve the equal amount and I am curious as to how you get the valves adjusted.

Thank You

Gotit

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

The rocker arms are adjustable on the pushrod end. Check on the Inliners site for more info in the Tech Archives.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

As I recall more than .060 off the head you had to sink the valves. Several ways to get around the valve stem being efective longer. Shorten the rocker end of the stem and/or use hardened lashcaps . That would enable you to retain proper rocker geomerty. The adjuster will take care of the stem sitting higher but at the probable issue of the geomerty being off to a greater or lessor degree. Do recomend confirming valve to piston clearence with a bit of clay.

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Simply use washers under the rocker arm stands, equal to the amount milled, as per California Bill's Speed Manual (1954).

I have a 216 milled .100" that was done this way. Only the intake valves need to be sunk
    (=the amount milled).

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

They only prob there is it then throws off exhaust valve geometry.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Not a fact. We're dealing in straight lines here. The resultant gap is simply adjusted out
    at the rocker arm.

7. gotit

gotit

I get what he is saying but I am also wondering how it works for other people. I figure if the head is milled .100 inch and the push rods are the same length then how do you compensate? It would be opposite on the intake side but multiplied x2 by sinking the valves.

I see the point in taking the .100 inch off the top of the valve but now that I know of lash caps, I think .100 needs to come off the exhaust side and .200 off the intake to make the push tubes the correct length.

I asked my engine Machinest about cutting the valve tops and he mentioned the hardness being removed. I am surprised he didn't mention lash caps since he builds a ton of rounds round motors.

Thank you for the advice and please keep it coming

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. gotit

gotit

Any more information?