Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Cochran

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Stogy likes this.
  2. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

That pic rocks....

3. Always dug that picture~!

4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

As for the JJ blog, my family has no heirlooms. Always too poor, too busy outrunning bill collectors and all family photos and such were lost in a house fire when I was maybe 6 years old, living in RHeilander Wisconsin. We left the farm house to go somewhere and came back to a smoking basement.
    I have to live vicariously through others...

5. I am in the process of aquiring the parlor Stove that was in grandads farmhouse. The house is still in the family, the stove has been sitting in the garage since before I was born. I asked about it 15 years ago and got no repsonse, had dad ask at Christmas time and it is mine for the taking! This stove might be 100+ years old and is one of the few links to my moms side of the family. I cant wait to put it in my porch!

6. radredrod

radredrod

Cool pic, but even with her having forgiven you, I'd frame it, and send it back to her for one of her walls. This way, it would mean even more to the both of you. I'd frame your copy as well! I have a framed pic of my gramps working in a foundry...Hell on Earth at the time. -Greg

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Poor Aunt Judy :( .....at least make and give her a copy;)

Our family (both sides) have always been into taking family snapshots. My folks have albums from their parents which someday I will get along with all my folks photos, slides and films. Wish they were more car related. Still nice to look at though.

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

isn't it funny how exciting it is to look at a glimpse into someones life who's so close to you, but so far away

i have a few copies of pictures from my family, they're like gold to me!
    Any old pictures really

9. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Ha, i'd a done the same thing. Thats great.

10. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

ha, i remember that. and the aggie maroon chevy. i'm sure your aunt never expected to get it back.
    my grandmother has a great snap of her in their 5 window 32 that they sold because the shifter would "pull out of the floor".
    happy holidays

did you ever find that "wolf's head" oil sign?

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

MY Dad...about 1938 at an airshow in nearby (from my hometown) Jefferson, Iowa...note the cars behind the planes...

R-

[​IMG]

12. Beemer

Beemer

Here's one I found while digging through a crate of old pictures my great-grandmother had. Back of the picture says "Hays, KS 1926". My great-grandfather is the one on the left.

Attached Files:

13. Stealing from the Aunt.......Nice!! Do you know where in Ada the shop was? OKC is my home.

14. when my gradfather died in july 2006 he left me his 53 ford truck and a boat load of vintage tools,while cleaning out the shop and office i found various "goodies" several packs of sinclair lube stickers,old repair invoices and records from when my great grandfather opened the family auto repair buisness and boxes of OLD pictures,if i ever figure out how use my wifes scanner i will scan & post! GREAT THREAD!

15. retro54

retro54
    from PA

We have the hood ornament off of the big old Diana enclosed car that my grandfather learned to drive in, we also have a picture of that car with the ornament on, so the story is verified. I'm not at my parents place so i can't post a picture, but apparently the Diana ornament is super rare (Diana, Moon, etc.) so it's cool to have something of his and have the rarity to boot...

the car looks like the advertisement below...

Attached Files:

16. JamesG

JamesG

Thats cool. Not only to have your name on a photo like that, but to have a man standing there that looks like you in front of the place and to know that you share the same blood as him.

Now thats got soul.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

18. Here's one of grandfathers...

This photo was taken in September of 1955, as my Papaw (Henry Manning) stood in the doorway of his small family grocery store.

Papaw died in July of '87, but the store stayed open until the early nineties, when poor health forced my grandmother to close the doors.

The old store building provides a rare common thread between my father's childhood and my own. Each of us have priceless memories of growing up around the old store.

-NM

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Ryan,

Do you know the approximate dates the garage was open? My dad was born in 1935 in Tupelo, Ok just a few miles away and lived near Ada growing up. I still have relatives there.

Larry Teel

20. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

Bet you would love ta have that sign, wouldn't you Ryan?

21. bobblehead

bobblehead

That is exactly what I was thinking.

22. SHRUM

SHRUM

My father raced flatrack for many years and when I got into it Years ago I snatched up all his old photo's and racing stuff. (Some leathers,hot shoe,various other goods) Still have not found the Old racing film and film of my dads friend jumping 8 Cars. I almost got his trophys,but I told him if he didn't get them out of the 55 gall. drums I was taking them.

He built them a shelf and they line all the way around his garage.

His 50 Ford is another heirloom,His father gave it to him,and he will give it to me.

23. rixrex

rixrex

My Dad and my Uncle Dick both went to the Spartan School of Aviation in Guymon Okla right after WWII, also a little time at Ft. Sill..They went on to open the Medina Valley Flyers school and field in Devine Tx. did crop-dusting after flight lessons..I still have the "Flying S" my Dad welded up out of round stock and hung on the gate to the field..it was almost an exact rip-off of the Sikorsky logo...

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Read Ryan's post #17 in this thread.;)

25. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

maybe you could take that scan along with others add them to one of the digital picture frames and send it to your aunt

26. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey ryan, speaking of family history, any relation to jackie cochran?? the winner of the 1938 bendix trophy race??
    [​IMG]

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

I friggen love that picture Chris. I was hoping you would post it up.

Look at all that belt driven shop equipment!!!

28. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

I was asking my uncle Robby (he works for the Cherokee Nation in Tahlequah, Oklahoma) and he sent me this link to an interesting article about the early generations of the Cochran family and the Cherokee Civil War.

http://www.ionet.net/~okhombre/cochran.htm

For those who don't know, Ryan's Grandfather and my Grandmother were brother and sister, so we have a lot of the same family tree...

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I hadn't thought of it... But this image probably means a thing or two to you as well... I mean, technically that's your grandfather (once removed?) too - right? If you want a hi-res of the image suitable for printing, email me... It blows up gorgeously...

The sign... I would kill poor innocent people for it. It's long gone I'm afraid though. I've spent most of my adult life looking for a Wolf's Head sign to match the one in the picture. I've got a ton of them that are similar, but have never found the exact sign.

RevKev, There is a Jackie in our family tree from that period... but I haven't heard of any relation. Maybe my pops will speak up in this thread.

30. This has been a tough year for my dad. His wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, very advanced, with maybe a year to live at age 40. Her boss fired her when he fujnd out she had cancer and would need chemothreapy and would miss 3 hours of work a month, so she now has no insurance. So anyhow, there is no money to be found at their house as you could imagine. So on christmas, my dad came over with a wrapped package for me. I opened it, and it was a book entitled "Ford at 50" from 1953, fords 50th anniversary. My granfather was a feasibilty engineer at Ford's world headquarters in dearborn. He worked his way up from pushing tank shields onto railroad cars. Fought in world war II as a tail gunner, and returned to ford after the war. I have his ford rouge badge. In July 1976, he killed my grandmother, and then himself. I wasn't born until 1981, so I never knew him. It's something I have never really asked my dad about, and probaly never will. I have a picture of my grandfather in his dress greens in 1940 something and I look EXACTLY like him. Being so into cars and having such a love for ford, it is tough knowing my grandpa was an engineer at ford, and would have so many great stories to tell. I have no grandparents, and never did. They all died before I was born. But anyways, the book is very neat, and also has a few articles form papers and magazines inside it. It also has the letter that came with the book talking about Fords 50th anniversary. Kind of a neat present, better than anything new he could have got for me, considering I dont need anyhting anyhow. My granfather also bought 2 detomaso pantera's new, and stashed them in a barn up north here in michigan, but it burned down. My dad says he didnt trust banks. I bet there is a box of cash burried somewhere up north on the property he used to own.......

James