Register now to get rid of these ads!

230/283 Chevy Engine length

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Did a search but could not find anything.
    Can anyone tell me if the rear of the bellhousing sits in the same position in a '63 Chevy for both a 230 six cylinder and a 283 V8 using the same bellhousing?
    I am wanting to get my drive shaft cut ahead of time.
    The six had a Saginaw 3 speed, and I am going to a Saginaw 4 speed with a 283.
    The difference in case lengths is 16" on the 3 speed and 21 1/2" on the 4 speed, which would mean I need to cut 5 1/2" out of the front driveshaft.
    However, before I do that, I need to make sure I am apples to apples on the length of each engine.
    (Yah, I know I should probably wait until the engine is in, but for time sake would like to do it at the same time)
    Thanks for any help,

2. Truckedup

Truckedup

All I know is if you have like a 68 Chevy pu truck and put a V-8 to the 6 cylinder bellhousing,the V-8 sits back more than a truck that was V-8 when new.

3. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Yes the bellhousing should be in the same place.

4. samurai mike

samurai mike

yes it is in the same place. three speed overdrive and four speed use the same driveline.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion but the driveshaft would be the last thing I would cut after everything else was bolted up and in place. Money is getting tight lately.

6. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

My answers are based on a '65 C10 so I don't know if it applies to a '63 but would think so ? I replaced the 230 in my truck with a 283 using basically all the original 230 parts ( bell housing , clutch , z bar , motor mounts , etc. ) .The only exception being the the block mounted pivot ball from the 6 cylinder will not fit the V8 application and will require getting the appropriate one from a V8 . If your truck has the original bell housing cross member then the engine will be located appropriately . You indicated you have the short transmission ( as I do too ) but plan on switching to a later model fully synchronized 4 speed model . If so , it will be longer in length and the driveshaft will require shortening . The length of the V8 is obviously shorter than the 6 cylinder and will place the fan a little farther away from the stock radiator .I haven't found that to be a problem .But , I did have the stock radiator recored because of leaks . Hope this helps and if you have more questions , I'll be glad to help if possible . Good luck !

7. David Chandler

David Chandler

I replaced a blown 250 with a 305 in a 77 Nova. I didn't move the transmission. I did have more space between the radiator and the fan, so I added another fan spacer, with longer bolts.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's dealing with a 58-64 "X" frame car with a two piece driveline. The bellhousing IS in the same spot, the transmissions are "shorter" (3-speeds and Powerglides), except for the 3-speed overdrive and 4-speeds as mentioned already. Any chance on locating the "correct" drive shaft from a 3-speed overdrive or 4-speed car? Try 348-409.com classifieds (I'm guessing they have a classifieds). Otherwise, you'll need to cut 3" out of the front shaft. I build aluminum Powerglides for the local bracket racers, and find the 25 inch long Glides all the time, FREE; no one seems to want anything other than the 28" long models. Some of the dragster guys will use a 25" Glide, or a shortie kit that makes them 18" long. Butch/56sedandelivery.