Register now to get rid of these ads!

22nd Annual Gunnison Colorado Car Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fivewindow Johnnie, Jun 10, 2009.

1. IT'S ON AGAIN PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!

The 22nd Annual Gunnison Car Show in Gunnison Colorado. This years show is August 21-22-23, including a Cruise-In, Open Show and Breakfast Cruise.

FRIDAY AUG 21, 5-9 PM: Cruise-In on N. Main St. First Four (4) blocks closed for participant parking, Live Band, Street Dance, registration booth, food vendors and more.

SATURDAY AUG 22, 8 AM -3 PM: Open Show in Jorgensen Park, awards ceremony at 3:00PM.

SUNDAY AUG 23 : Breakfast Cruise to Crested Butte, an ol' mining town 26 miles north of Gunnison. The main drag (Elk Ave.) will be closed off for participants to park on the street, another mini show in itself.

Details and entry forms can be found at: www.gunnisoncarclub.com

This year the show has some great features, the Friday night Cruise-In just keeps getting bigger & better and this year will be no exception. From Lincoln Nebraska, The Mezcal Brothers will be performing. Saturday the Show will be held in the recently remodeled Jorgensen Park from 8AM to 3PM. And yes, the remodel is complete !

Our special guests should amaze even the most grizzled HAMB veterans

DJ.....none other than Alex "AXLE" Idzardi. That's right, of the Shifters Car Club SO-CAL, Viva Las Vegas Car Show, and Suede Palaces and Pavillions everywhere. Axle will be spinning great music throughout the day and lending his special charm to the show !

Workshop.....Presented by Dave Crouse, award winning car builder and owner of Custom Auto, Loveland Colorado. Custom Auto has restored some very historic cars such as: The Joe Nitti Roadster, The Berardini Brothers 404 roadster, The 303 Bell Crankshaft Special, and the Larry Shinoda Chopstix Special '32 3 Window Coupe. They also have many great contemporary builds completed, including my own, Green, Hemi powered Five-Window Deuce, that won "Best of Show" in the Suede Palace at the GNRS this year(thanks guys !).

The Lee Iacocca award will again be presented by the Gunnison Car Club. This year it is going to secret recipient, who we know will be in attendence at the show. And who, we also know, is very deserving of the award. It should make HAMB'ers happy.

Also, am currently working on (with lots of help from "Fast Eddie Stokes"), putting together a Drag Car Display. Including such cars as Two Ford Thunderbolts, one with a SOHC Cammer in it. Tributes to the Ronnie Sox '64 Comet, and Ronnie's '65 Comet with the Hemi. If anyone has a like style Drag car and would like to participate in the display, PM me. If we can wrangle Ten (10) or more cars, the club will create a class for them, and present an award.

Don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. Also, inlcude an e-mail and I will send you hotel contact information.

Will be adding info along the way and bumping this occasionally to keep it in view............Johnnie.

2. Also, as usual, Laura and I will be having our traditonal after show party, with generally 100-150 people. This is a Lonely Knights gathering and is invitation only. The Mezcal Brothers will also be playing, the food is catered and there are plenty of refreshments. If any HAMB'ers think they would like to attend, PM me and we can talk about the details.

If anyone is interested, a HAMB Meet and Greet can be arranged at the show, as could a HAMB parking area. I lay out the park for the parking and if enough HAMB'ers would like, a group parking area it could be put in place, would just need to get some reliable numbers close to the show.

Guys, please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions whatsoever. The traditonal showing in Gunnison is getting stronger each year. Any and all help to keep that trend on an upward climb would be appreciated.

And please, any of you who have attended the Gunnison Show, nows the time to chime in and "Testify" !

Thanks, Johnnie.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

hmmmm....sounds like a good time for a hoosier to get outta this place hahahah....look out colorado....i may be on the way

4. If you make the trek, I'll get your bed ready......and maybe even put a Red-head in there for ya ! Beat that........

Yancey, damn I wish I was gonna make it to Indy this year. The Road Rockets show is great ! Work just isn't going to allow it. Maybe next time.

Johnnie.

5. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

we understand my man.....i am marking this show on my calendar....i am pretty sure that i havent been to colorado yet and i need to mark that off on the mooning map!!!!

lol only a red head hahaha.....ill be solo soo go for it hahahahah

6. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Cant wait to see the Mezcal Brothers. Always a good time and the after party is not to be missed! Plus the drive over is great. Beautiful country!

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Guys, my wife and i have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming good friends with all of these Colorado Rod & Custom boys, and it's an honor to be DJ'ing their show this summer. I look forward to checking out scenic Gunnison and its vicinity . The car show seems to be shaping up real well so if anyone is thinking of coming out for the first time i can tell ya first hand these boys know how to party and have the abilities of showing anyone a great time.
    See you guys there !

Axle

8. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

I've heard great things about the show, and the location is hard to beat. see ya in august.

9. Just a note to anyone thinking they might attend:

Lodging fills up fast in Gunnison. The reason is that our car show is concurrent with Western State College's "welcome back weekend". Lots of folks in town that weekend.

PM me an e-mail an I will send a list of all the local Hotel / Motel info. Book a room now, you can always cancel it.

Johnnie.

10. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

You may have heard this before, but the August Gunnison run is an EXCELLENT car show and party. When I go, I start out with a mind-boggling drive west on Highway 50 from Pueblo to Salida, then up Monarch Pass – awesome in and of itself. (This entire cruise is totally drivable and easily navigable, even in an old car.) Eventually I arrive in Gunnison – which is always picturesque and refreshing – and if I’m early enough I can still see tons of rods and customs lining the old main drag on Friday night. The Saturday car show is exceptional to boot. It is well-run and highly enjoyable. In spite of the fact that the show is very eclectic (I mean, who doesn’t think it’s a little kooky to see a Ferrari and a bad-ass ’53 Studebaker in the same venue?), it’s well-worth it. There are just plain a LOT of bitchin’ cars there… The Saturday evening shindig at Johnnie and Laura’s is truly the piece de la resistance of this weekend. I have to struggle to think of two such remarkable individuals who show such terrific hospitality, all for the sake of having a seriously great and memorable time, and expecting absolutely nothing in return except maybe a humble thank-you. I’ve gone for the past three years, and can’t imagine ever missing one in the future. That would be like trying to have sex with a hamster – scary and pointless, unless you’re just that sick… Studely says have a freakin’ awesome summer, and he’ll see you in Gunnison on August 21!

11. Studely

Studely
    from Pueblo, CO

Yancey!!! I can't tell you how crazy and fun it would be it you came to the Gunnison show... Also, my regrets about not being able to make the Road Rockets show are right on par with Johnnie's. That was without a doubt one of the coolest car shows and just weekend parties in general I've ever been to in my life! Like the old song says, "I seen some things I ain't NEVER seen befo'!" Hee, hee.......... Damnit, Yancey! Do it!!!

12. Here is a list of local lodging options for those coming. Book now, the town WILL sell out.

1) ABC Motel Inc, 212 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-2400 * 800-341-8000

2) Alpine Inn, 1011 Rio Grand Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-2804 * www.gunnisonalpineinn.com

3) Best Western-Tomichi Vlg, 41883 US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1131

4) Columbine Victorian Hotel, 136 W Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-6834

5) Comfort Inn, 900 N Main St, Gunnison, CO 970-642-1000

6) Days Inn, 701 W US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-0608 * 888-641-0608

7) Gunnison Inn, 412 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-0700 * 866-641-0700 * www.GunnisonLodging.com

8) Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Stes Gunnison, 910 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 877-410-6681

9) Island Acres Motel, 38339 US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1442

10) Long Holiday Motel, 1198 W US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-0536

11) Mountain View Lodge, 117 N Taylor St, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1799 * 800-800-3395

12) Quality Inn, 400 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1237 * www.choicehotels.com

13) Rodeway Inn, 37760 US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-0500 * www.gunnisonrodeway.com

14) Super 8, 411 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-3068 * 800-800-8000

15) Swiss Inn, 312 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-9962

16) Water Wheel Inn, 37478 US Hwy 50, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1650 * 800-642-1650 * www.waterwheelinnatgunnison.com

17) Western Motel, 403 E Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1722 * www.westernmotel-co.com

18) Wildwwod Motel, 1312 W Tomichi Ave, Gunnison, CO 970-641-1663 * 866-770-1663 * www.wildwoodmotel.net

13. arbs1976

arbs1976

I freaking can't wait! The Gunnison show is always a highlight for me!

14. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

sound like a cool show

15. mad-cad

mad-cad

Thats the weekend after Bonneville speedweek,might aswell bring the Bonneville racer down and stick it in the show.Sounds like a fun time.

Tim

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'll have to take a look at the commitment calendar. But looks like a good chance I'll be there, even if only for a saturday. And I'll bring along my striping box as well.

17. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

We will be there, Havent been before heard it is a great time!!!!

18. arbs1976

arbs1976

Yeah Tim we would love to see your Bonneville car over in Gunnison! Or even your big caddy!

19. BigDfromthe303

BigDfromthe303

I'm gonna have to be there. Looks like an excellent time.Might even have the model a ready.

20. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I am going to try to make it with the family

21. B.coupe

B.coupe
    from Mile High

Going to start planning now for this one!!!!
    Keep me in the loop.

22. knkbyerly

knkbyerly
    from Colorado

23. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Damn, sounds like a killer show but I'll be in socal that weekend

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Certainly an event I've always wanted to make but I'm planning on the HAMB Drags that weekend. I will be thru your area earlier that week though on my way to the HAMB Drags from the GG Spokane, WA event. I will stop and say hi for sure.

25. Next year we are moving the show up one weekend as to not conflict with the HAMB drags. So, to all the folks who like the drags, (who can blame you), hopefully this will free up your schedules. In the past there has been a local conflict that will no longer exist next year.

Will keep the updates coming !

Johnnie.

26. 1931av8

1931av8

Johnnie:

Hotel reservations made. Looking forward to seeing you and Laura again!

Tom

27. GEET

GEET

28. Geet,

Go to the website; www.gunnisoncarclub.com

At the bottom of the home page there is a place where you can click-on and print a vendor application. I handle the vendors and have nothing of your sort yet, so it would be great ! Would definately be an asset to the show.

Johnnie.

29. GEET

GEET

Printed....
    date saved...
    we will be there!!
    WHAT SIZE SPACE IS AVAILABLE?

[​IMG] Geet!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  30. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington