Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mail Call

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Great photos, Ryan. The fellows above look a little chilly; we finally got below 80 down here...

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Ryan,

You've got some cool stuff in your inbox. I'm glad you were able to take your passion and make it a vocation.

That first picture reminds me of being a kid with some friends in the Irish Hills of Michigan not far from MIS. His dad had something old and rotted that he cut up and used around the farm. Called it 'Horse.' When he tried running it with just a slow moving sign, the cops told him it had to have plates because it started life as a truck or a car. When he asked them which one, they couldn't tell him so he said it was a tractor and off we went!

4. Very cool.........the Dual purpose car slays me.

5. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

The picture above looks like what people around here refer to as a doodle bug tractor, I see them a lot out in the woods and fields in the country, usually there isn't much to use off of them as they had a hard life and not only do the bodies get cut up but the frames are usually shortened also.

6. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

ok Ryan, share some details of the drag race with that Mercedes. Curious why the "Shit Shit Shit" comment :)

-scott noteboom

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's the first HAMB Drags. My dad surprised me and drove up for the race. After nagging me all night, I finally agreed to race him the next morning. His custom built and blown v12 ran a 12.84... with the air conditioning on... I lost...

SHIT! SHIT! SHIT!

8. That Kompressor is the only late model car to be allowed at the HAMB Drags. Everything stopped when Doc and Jr lined up!

9. Honestly... I have no idea what this is. Could it be a chenille Jalopy Journal patch :cool: ??????

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i saw that Shoebox Ford "former cover car" a couple years back when i was driving out that way. forgot where exactly it was but remembered stopping and looking at it and all the other old cars there.

11. repoguy

repoguy

Hell, if we're talking about an s600 series Benz, isn't that pretty close to what they pull down in bone stock trim????

Talk about haulin' serious ass in a 2 1/2 ton luxo-boat.

12. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

From what you have shared about you and the old man's early racing adventures, I'd say he's earned the victory lap! And hot '55 Chevy for your first car - dude, he can adopt me anytime.

13. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

That first picture is missing a caption: Buddy, which knob is for the defroster?

Edit - Damn, Paperdog beat me to the punch. And I like his line better.

14. autobilly

autobilly

That jet dragster looks like a hoot. The driver might be safer in a cowboy hat!

15. Like that Riv you had. In your bio,you list 3 cars,the 38 and 2 A's.Have you ever shown a picture of the second A?:confused:

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hmm.... the bare metal coupe w/ full skirts. Seems like I saw something like that around Gary Howard's place?
    I could be way off.... it just looks familiar.

Love the "Mail Call" pics!

Malcolm

17. oaktree

oaktree

Hey Dude,
    You

18. oaktree

oaktree

Hey Dude, You make me grin! pop

19. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

There's something pretty damn cool about that.

20. I sent that first pic to Ryan a few weeks ago... I'm honored that he chose to use it.

To me, this particular shot captures the essence of true old-school hotrodding. Here are the details regarding this photo.

That's my grandfather, Cecil "Buddy" Taylor at the wheel. Also riding in the jalopy are my Papaw's brothers. That's Uncle Fred Taylor sitting in the middle... Uncle Dan Boley seated on the outside of the seat... and Uncle Johnny Taylor standing on the rear.

That icy backroad is at a place called Manning's Chapel in Cocke County... That's in rural East Tennessee.

Some things to note regarding this photo include the single headlight and the upside-down Pepsi bottles that are being used as gas and radiator caps.

A bit dangerous? Perhaps... But it still looks like a Helluva lot of fun to me.

If memory serves me correctly, I've been told that this car was bought by my uncle Johnny (standing), who rescued the old heap from a life of being used as a sawmill engine.

Whatever it takes to get one back on the road, right? Maybe this shows where I inherited my love for old cars.

Thanks for loving this picture like I do.

Sincerely,
    Nathan Manning