Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 227 Bullet Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Dec 31, 2019.

1. I have tried two times before to have a build thread on my coupe and failed with not keeping them updated. This post will be the definitive one as the car is almost completed after buying my coupe in 2002.

In 2002 I and Metalshapes here on the HAMB found out about this coupe for sale. After driving up from Tucson to meet with Ron Olmstead we were greeted at what could be described as the ultimate hot rod house. Ron Olmstead has been building hot rods basically his entire life and now facing old age and realizing he would never get to build all of them he had stated to liquidate his stash of projects.

After looking at the coupe body we were told that another coupe body would be for sale as well. We each made separate deals with Ron Olmstead for our prospective bodies and parts and loaded the trailer back to Tucson. Ron being the old school hot rod guy told us we had one week to change our minds on the bodies and if we bring them back he would refund our money as he kept each of our payments in separate envelopes. Needless to say, we were very happy and called just two days later to tell him we were keeping them.

Metalsahpes and I started with my coupe since it was cheaper one in the entire lot we bought together and in worse shape. my body had 227 bullet holes in it and that became the car's name. After cutting the body apart we began with the floor and worked our way up with re-chopping the car 3 inches from stock with filler pieces we got from Ron from another 5 window that Ron had chopped which became the Holly Roller Coupe.

After the body was squared and chopped correctly it was one me to finish the car to what I wanted. 17 years later with two trips to Austin Round up and countless trips to LA CA and Tucson from Phoenix, the car was taken off the road for final paint and body and now on original 32 rails with Industrial chassis reproduction X member kit and original frame squared by Industrial Chassis.

Its been a long road on building this hot rod and being featured in two magazines while in bare steel and rust. Rolled and Pleates and Low View Magazine. This January the car has been accepted into the Suede Palace at Grand National Roadster show. Here is a bunch of photos from start to almost finished. Stop by and say hi if you are at the show.
    scan0103.jpg scan0104.jpg scan0108.jpg DSC00002.JPG DSC00001.JPG

Attached Files:

2. kh9gLtLVRne6Sopjev8sdQ.jpg 7HTIr21kRLqI+c1xM0keTg.jpg xLn%iTaATeK+teT0t8WDvg.jpg uw%39ziqRVCp9fUaQwRMLw.jpg This is it for photos you will have to come to GNRS to see the car finshed. Feel free to follow me on Instagram at HotRodRon_Carlsten.

3. Beautiful! After all these years of admiring your car since you first started building it, I don't think I ever realized it had Beetle tail lights. I'm digging the rear spreader bar. Well done!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Hot Rod Ron like this.
  4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

WOW!! I say I say WOW!!!

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great6 job! Beautiful. Lippy

6. brady1929

brady1929

Badass hot rod, Ron.

7. Bugguts

Bugguts

Wow! What a transformation! Nicely done.

8. Man, that turned out nice !

brady1929 likes this.
  9. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what it was to what it is, Wow! Love it and the taillights and the rear bumper and............... Happy New Year

brady1929 likes this.
  10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impressive. Beautiful

11. Thanks, guys for all the comments. See you at GNRS.

Stogy likes this.
  12. Damn, will you look at that, looks great. Congratulations.

I guess there is hope for the rest of us with long term hot rods. I guess i better get back to work on mine.