Register now to get rid of these ads!

226 in A frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PCD2GTHR, Aug 5, 2012.

1. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

New to the forum, see introduction http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722936 , and while not new to playing with cars, I am new to the rod building thing. You guys have provided me with much information and inpsiration before I even joined.

My question...does anybody have/know anybody that has/or have pictures of a 226 Flathead ('49 with toploader) in a Model A frame? I'm thinking of using it as a temporary mill until I get my 8ba going. The plan now is to make my own motor mounts and hopefully use a cross member out of an F1 and trim it down to use the pedals. (Trying to get cross member and pedals from the guy I bought the motor/trans from as he is doing a 302/T5 swap.)

Also, I have a '49 Shoebox I'll be using parts from. Would that rearend be a good candidate to go behind the 226?

I would love to find out some more info/tips, especially pictures. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

3. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Sorry can't help but are you from the Outer Banks?

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

You want to install an engine that is significantly longer than the V-8 as a "temporary" until the V-8 is done? To me that doesn't sound too logical. First of all, I don't believe the 226 will even fit into the "A" without some major mods to either the body or the frame (I'm thinking frame/wheelbase extension). If you go to that much trouble, why not make the 226 the permanent engine and have something unique? The V-8 will go in the space that the original 4 cyl came out of without much trouble-it's done all the time..

5. Ted H

Ted H

There is a HAMB member from the Spokane, Wa area who has a Model A roadster with a 226 in it.

I can't remember his HAMB name but you can probably get his contact info from HAMBer Chris.

6. flatout51

flatout51

I had an issue of Magneto years ago where someone had a 226 in a 30-31 coupe... It had 2 carbs and the second one was completely in the firewall... If i can find the mag ill post some pics later.

7. flatout51

flatout51

And the rearend would be way too narrow

8. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Close. Gates County, not far from Elizabeth City if that helps you out.

Well, looking at the way the 226 mounts are offset, I didn't know if it would place the tranny at the same(ish) place. The way that thing looks is growing on me.

I'm aware of how easily the 8 will work. I don't think the 226 would be TOO much work. Only difference would be length I would think?

I'm sure somebody has done this, I'm just looking for some pics mainly to see how involved they got to make it work.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  9. "truck cabbed rat rod." the magic words to get you flamed off this site.

10. David Chandler

David Chandler

Heaven forbid the use ot the RR word.
    I'm mocking mine up for a chevy 250, and both the firewall and the placement of the cowl will need to be addressed. But with a modified body, I don't have to worry about the thing hanging far beyond the rear of the frame, just to make it fit.
    But I think the 226 is a nice choice. My neighbor has one in a Hudson coupe.
    Good Luck.

11. RayMiller

RayMiller

Yea saying rr you think you shit in someone's post toasties lol. They get over it tho and good luck on your build dude!

12. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Aiyeeeee.....gotcha.

Plan right now is to use a truck cab anyway...so it probably wouldn't be too bad. I like a small cab for some reason so we'll see what happens.

Thanks! I really love the two door sedan body but I don't have the spare coin for a body I like right now so I think I'm going to use what's available to me as far as drivetrain and body go.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A Model A with Ford flathead 6 is the cover car on one of the HRM annuals, I think about 1954.
    That being said...a v8 FH can fit into an A with early parts setup. A six is substantially longer and will require either stretched wheelbase or body setback or a firewall setback that will require leg amputation.
    For a quick idea go look at a '46-48 Ford and note the two sets of holes for radiator yoke...probably someone here can post pics and a number.

14. there is a 226 powered model a in new england. I do not know who owns it now but it was charlie chandlers, I have seen it on here but cant find a picture. cool car, howard towne built>

15. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Thanks for all the info guys. I haven't even got the frame off my trailer to start stripping it yet; I was just curious as to how much of a hassle it would be. I'll have the 8ba out of my '49 this weekend hopefully; it will most likely have to be rebuilt. Meanwhile, I found an early flattie that supposedly runs well for a pretty good price, so I may try to pick it up.

Looked at the bellhousings on the 8 vs the 6 when I got the body off the '49 yesterday, I'm not 100% sure that toploader will bolt up like I hoped...

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford 6 trans is different casting but innards and rear mount are same as 8...I assume '4-48 stuff here. Trans will of course be several inches back from where a V8 would put it. Remember also early ('48 and back) V8 fits an A much better than an 8BA because front setup on 8BA is longer to clear distributor. 8BA really should get early cam and pumps as a minimum adaptation to fit an early chassis well...engine length is pretty critical in an A that is not radically rearranged.

17. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Well dang. Think I'll scoop that engine up then. So the '49 6 cyl trans won't work behind an 8?

Good news is...the 8ba was free and I didn't pay much at all for the 226 and trans...

18. Crankhole

Crankhole

Can you post a pic of the flat 6 toploader trans? Don't think I've ever seen one.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Different generations cranking here...what year and model? I think pickup '49 6 adapted to regular early style trans, passenger all is different from early Ford. "48 and back six got same gears, different case...I assume there was a toploader for the early setup 6 since it was available in '41-up pickups.

20. Crankhole

Crankhole

I've got a post-'49 6 that I'd like to mate up to a toploader, if there is such a thing.

21. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Well...let me rephrase. Not a top loader just a floor shift instead of column shift. I got in the habit of calling it a top loader but I know people reading this are confused and think I'm an idiot...

22. PCD2GTHR

PCD2GTHR

Sweet! Seen enough to put into perspective just how long that thing is once you put it in a frame...I couldn't drive the thing with my long legs. Killer car though!

By the way...lovin that shoebox in your avatar. Sits just right!