Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 226 "G" performance parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boomscatty, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Boomscatty

Boomscatty
    from MN

Hey all, I'm new here and just picked up a 28k mile 46 Ford Super Deluxe coupe from the original owners. I'm in the process of building it into a period correct hot rod and wanted to keep the six but I'm having a hell of a time finding old school performance parts for this thing. Really want a dual carb intake and split manifold but it seems impossible to source... Any help out there??

Thanks!
    Scott

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Given the scarcity of Knudsen or Edmunds heads & manifolds (the only ones made for that engine as far as I know), you should think about fabbing your own intake and headers and milling the head. In-line engines aren't terribly difficult when it comes to intakes & headers-they're u-bends & elbows with a few flanges thrown in. Buy a manifold gasket set and use that as a pattern to burn/laser/plasmacut/waterjet a master flange.

4. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

I wanted to build a later model "H" flathead Ford 6 and looked for over a year for an affordable aluminum head and dual carb intake.
    The only head I saw for less than $1000 was a Nicson that looked like it sat in the bottom of a septic tank for years and the guy wouldn't budge for less than $500.
    I sold the 6 off and used a V-8 flathead instead.

5. Boomscatty

Boomscatty
    from MN

That's kind of what I'm finding. Will a 59A V8 bolt right in with a motor mount change to my 3 speed?

6. I had an Cast Iron Exhaust manifold split by a guy in California. Got his name from the HAMB site here. Did a good job but pricy!! I had my Cast Iron head milled .060 locally for about $60.00 Found a fair condition Aluminum dual 1 bbl intake and in the process of getting it in shape. Paid $150.00 with two carbs for it. Found a 3/4 race cam and Aluminum timing gear. Also got a Hudson Dual point dist. being modified to fit my 49 H 226. Yes it is difficult to find these parts but I am always looking ,Don.

7. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

If you can weld you can get flanges here:
    http://www.victoryheaderflanges.com/headerflanges_ford.html
    (Never ordered, just found in a www search)

For those that have split the exhaust, do you divide the manifold or just add a second outlet? Anyone have photos?

I've seen later inline Fords (photos) with the intake milled open on top and a new plate added - clamped in place - with multicarbs on top. I would think something welded would be better. I was thinking about adding another 1bbl flange at each end of the manifold. Would that be the best place or would the distribution be off? Anyone have a photo of a 3x1bbl for these engines?

How much should the head be milled?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  8. Hi, My Exhaust Manifold was divided. I was told by the guy that did it that there would be two distinct exhaust notes you can hear. Several ideas out there as to where to split it. Have not had mine fired up yet so I cannot answer at this point. As far as the milling of the head I had .060 taken off. Was told that is about all you should do! I did take a stock Intake manifold and bolcked off the center port for the stock carb. and welded in two flanges where the aftermarket ones are located. I was lucky to find an Aluminum one so I will be using that one. I will finish up the Cast Iron one and try it to see how it performs. A guy by the name of OLD BOB is on this site and he was a great help answering many questions I had. Don

9. I put a divider plate in my cast iron exhaust in the center where the heat riser plate was. I left the edges of the plate unsealed to allow some crossflow. Every oldtimer that I talked to had a different theory on dividing the cylinders, everything from 50% to 100%, 4/2 division, 2/4 division, 3/3 division. I went with 3/3 division because it was easiest and blocked it about 75%. It does not have the mellow tone of a Chevy six, but it sounds pretty good with two glasspacks. Sorry I didn't take any pictures and it would be hard to get one with everything installed in the car.

10. Dale,
    I agree with you 100 percent here. Building and intake and exhaust for an inline flatty is not rocket science. Most split exhaust were done at home as well back then.

For a cam shaft a regrind is the simpliest and most proven method. There are still cam grinders out there that have some idea what they are doing.

11. Reds Headers have a split exhaust manifold for 226, but its for a H series. They give a real nice note too.

http://reds-headers.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=764

Do a search for Knudsen and Cyclone (or contact cyclone kevin on here) or even Nicson.
    A cyclone head sold not long ago on E#*y for $600.
    Keep on the look out ............................ it could take a while find.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012