Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 223 ford questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ferdyeight, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Damn. Panama and stine. Next to the house.

2. I'll have to run a compression check.. I haven't had much time to mess with it other than swapping the wheels and tires and trying to get it to run right to go to the gas station and back for a 6 pack, but I guess I will have to pull the valve cover and check to make sure valves are all good, as well as change the distributor and check into some of the other things I saw on here.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

These trucks go so much better when powered by a Y Block engine or a Ford inline 300cid six cylinder.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Nailhead Jason likes this.
  4. I can't bring myself to v8 swap this truck. Worst case scenario I'll have to rebuild my other 223 and swap it In there. I been dreaming about this truck since I was a little kid..

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Do a compression check to make sure the engine is solid. Check the head riser valve to make sure it's free. As stated earlier the Load-O- Matic Distributors are a big draw back The 300 six distributor can be used by changing to the 223 gear and using a 1964 oil pump the 300 used a 5/16 oil pump and the 223 used a 1/4 drive but in 64 the 223 went to a 5/16 drive.

6. Tommy Waters

Tommy Waters

I drove a '58 F100 panel truck for years with a stock 223 for years, changed to 340 something gears and drove it everywhere as a dd cruised 60-65 on long trips no problem.

7. Well it turns out I got a 4 speed from a BIG truck. With the e brake mounted on the tail shaft of the transmission. And my GPS calculated top speed is 52mph. Time for a 5 speed swap, most likely with my spare 223. I gotta rebuild the fuel system in this truck now as well as replacing the front springs and probably a dropped axle.