Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 223 flywheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OfficerBimbo, Oct 29, 2016.

1. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Some questions for you ford truck mega minds about my 58 f100:
    1. where can I get a remanufactured flywheel for a 223 6 cylinder?
    2. Will a y block flywheel fit on a 223?
    3. Do they make flywheel shims for a resurfaced 223 flywheel?
    Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Normally, on old cars and trucks, you just get the flywheel reground (at a machine shop), and put it back together with a new or rebuilt clutch.

No shims required....

Is there something specific wrong with your flywheel that makes you think you need to replace it?

3. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks Squrrel. There are SOME cars that, when you resurface a flywheel, you have to shim the backside, to compensate for the reduced thickness of the flywheel. If not, your throwout bearing will not engage the clutch. I have also been unable to find a minimum thickness spec. for this flywheel (looked in the manual… combed the internet….). I would really like to replace the flywheel with a remanufactured one, but I'm not sure if anyone sells them.

4. squirrel

squirrel

uh...this is an old truck, things were done differently back then. The shim thing is for modern cars with non-adjustable hydraulic clutches. Yours is adjustable. and the only reason to replace the flywheel is if it has deep cracks from being way overheated. Standard procedure is to have it ground, and don't worry about it, it'll be fine.

5. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Well said, though, at some point, the clutch will not disengage if the flywheel is too thin. If I want to replace what I have, where can I get one? I've searched all over.... This flywheel is becoming like a unicorn!

6. squirrel

squirrel

Have you looked for a used one? I doubt you can buy a new one anywhere. It's not a very popular engine application....

But seriously, why make it more difficult than it has to be? just get it resurfaced, and put it back in

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you measured what you have as far as thickness to work with or talked to a machine shop about it. Usually they only take a few thousandths off one anyhow maybe .020 or .030 max to get a smooth surface. These old rigs weren't built that precise to begin with and usually have more than enough adjustment in the linkage.

squirrel likes this.
  8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I just got a new flywheel today for an OT engine (possibly going in 40's truck). When I opened the box, I was surprised to find the surface of the flywheel to be rough. Is it typical for some manufacturers to ship a flywheel without having the face dressed for use? Do they figure it might rust up on the boat from China or sitting in a warehouse, so they leave that up to the customer?

9. A V8 Y block flywheel will fit a 223 or 262 ford 6.

10. town sedan

town sedan

I have never tried to fit a Y-Block flywheel to a 223, but I believe Old wolf when he says it will fit.
    A new 32lbs steel billet flywheel is available from John Mummert, but it isn't cheap. See if your current flywheel will clean up and work before spending $300+ on a new one.
    -Dave

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Because we race them, I have a supply of 223 flywheels, but as mentioned I understand the Y Block and the 6 are the same. McTim will know for sure. I know the ring gear is the same and they pop up on evil every so often and you might check there for the flywheel.

12. squirrel

squirrel

According to Hollanders, 223 and 272 and 292 truck flywheel from 58-64 with 11" clutch interchange.

note that this is NOT the same as the car flywheel

(sorry, I guess I should have looked it up in the first place...I didn't realize my Hollanders book included truck stuff)

13. squirrel the only difference is the truck flywheel is heavier and has the bigger diameter clutch. The 262 six that replaced the 223 in my 55 ford wagon has a 292 Y block flywheel with the 11 inch clutch. 50 years ago I installed a small disk flywheel from a 62 ford car 223 engine on a 292 in a 56 ford car. Now after 63 for the small block and falcon 6 engines and after 64 for the FE the flywheel interchange becomes complicated. Stuff like a 410 & 428 flywheel is external balanced and will not work on a 390.

14. town sedan

town sedan

The 1960 Ford full size car shop manual list the police & taxi 223 as also getting the "big" clutch. Don't know if the flywheel would be any different except for the pressure plate holes, but as we all know Ford did have a better idea every day of the week and tried to use them all.

Back to the question from OfficerBimbo, pull the flywheel and take it to a machine shop, or two, and see if they think it's savable. This isn't some late model Anglo/Eurasian pos. It's any old Ford and if it hasn't been severely used 'n abused it should clean up ready for another 100,000 miles.
    -Dave

15. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders says the truck flywheel does not fit cars.

16. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Thanks for all the info. My flywheel has been resurfaced. I noticed that the clutch fork is approaching its aft limit to Diengage the clutch, which leads me to believe that this flywheel will have to be replaced at some point. I am doing some work on the truck now, so I thought it would be wise just to replace it now. To further complicate things- it utilizes a 10 inch clutch (it was mentioned that an y block flywheel would be a good swap and that the y block uses an 11 inch clutch). Guess if I can't find a replacement, I'm just going to try to have fun smoking this one, and then just drop a inline 300 in! Again, I really appreciate the info!

17. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

I am going to call John Mummert to pick their brains...