Register now to get rid of these ads!

218 Perfomance bolt ons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Copy Cop, May 11, 2011.

1. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

well i got a 1953 Plymouth Cranbrook with the original 218 L6 and i was wondering what options i had for bolt ons, for example multi carb set ups, dual exhaust, 4 barrel carb? any info to squeez a little more out of my 6 will be greatly weclomed! :cool:

2. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

Langdon's Stovebolt has 2x1 intakes as well as headers.

3. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

any info on these, price or where i can find more info on them?

found the website but i dunno if i can gain much from that for the price

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. moparmike

moparmike
    from Austin, Tx

They make the engine look cool.
    With my 230, I just have it tuned right with stock pieces and find it motivates just fine. You could spend a fortune trying to get maybe 175 horse. If you want to haul ass I'd suggest an engine swap.

5. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

i don't wanna haul i just wanna squeez a little more out of her to make it a little easier to get around and possibly more dependable without doing a motor swap, i saw something about a 4barrel intake option but i can't find anything for plymouth, and honestly if i can gain another 50-75hp out if her i will be more than pleased.:D

6. hkestes

hkestes

Log in over at the P15-D24 Site there is a lot of info there on the flathead Mopars.

Langdon's Stovebolts he has dual carb intakes, cast iron headers.

Edgy Speed Shop he has dual carb intake, finned aluminum head, and he regrinds cams.

If you don't want stuff now, you can find vintage parts on EBay from time to time but they usually go for steep prices.

A fairly cheap way to increase performance is to have your head milled. Your stock 53 has a 7.1 compression ratio, if you mill it 0.050 you will bump your ratio to around 7.7. Just make sure that you use some clay on top of valves first to determine how much room you have before getting it milled.

Look for a Borg Warner R10 OD transmission they were in early 50's model Dodges and then in the Plymouths starting around 53. It is a direct bolt in swap for the stock 3 speed. Then just add a few wires for the electrical controls and you are good to go. I have one in my 48 Plymouth and it made it a completely different car on the highway.

Paul Curtis https://home.comcast.net/~pjplymouth/ has an adaptor to put an S10 T5 behind the flathead.

Then find a good rearend with about a 3.73 gear.

Now since you have built in all this extra speed :cool: check out Olddaddy here on the HAMB as he sells a pretty much bolt on kit to put disc brakes on the old Mopars. The extent of the "fab" work is drilling and tapping the spindle mounting holes to a larger size.

Here is my 218 with the parts from Langdons. I will be swapping to a 230 shortly which will get all the parts from the 218 plus the new Edgy head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Copy Cop

Copy Cop

Awesome Responce! thank you so much for the info! it looks like i got my work cut out for me. :cool:

8. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

Do you have the hy-drive with your 218? I didn't really see any adapters for other transmissions for that engine at stovebolts, if you don't have the hy-drive, what are you using?
    ~Jt