Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 216/trans/torque tube value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMONTY, Sep 30, 2016.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

Wondering what a running 216 engine trans and t/t and rear axle from a 1952 Chevy is worth? Got it listed on CL and guy wants to trade a Shopsmith 10ER even/steven for it? Any thoughts? I'm no woodchuck!

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The 216, 3-speed transmission, and torquetube driveline/rear end that came out of our 51 Bus Coupe I GAVE AWAY, just to get rid of them; they too were running/driving. Everyone seems to want a full pressure 235 or 261, and not the "dipper" 216 or 235 dipper style motors. To a restorer, they may have some value. Our engine/transmission went to one guy who wanted to see/hear it run, and I delivered the driveline/rearend to another guy 50 miles away, and I was happy to find someone who actually wanted it; usually, everyone wants the Powerglide versions with 3.55 gearing, and not the 4.11, or 3.70 if it's a 53-54 manual transmission setup.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

^^^^What he said. Shopsmith s are cool.

4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Seen some Shopsmiths on fleabay for between $400 and $550. Might be a worthwhile trade?

5. jlckmj

jlckmj

I tried giving the trans, torque tube, and rear end away. I had it on several boards including the HAMB and noone wanted it. I ended up keeping the trans and giving the rear end to a scrapper.
    I think the 216 has some value, but not much. I would make the trade.

Jim

6. RMONTY

RMONTY

I actually struck a deal with the guy. I think it will work out for both of us. He is building a little putt-around bucket of old school style and I'm getting a couple items I need for my project. Amicable on both ends so life is good!