Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 to 235 swap help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by project 41, May 29, 2012.

1. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

my 46 chevy 216 motor is stuck solid so i have a 1956 235 to replace it with. looks like the front mount plates are totally different the 46 is wider i guess i need to swap the mount plates as the 56 plate doesnt look wide enough to drill holes in it my questions are how do you remove the crankshaft balancers and mount plates? how do you then install the balancers? DOES MOTOR NEED TO TURN TO REMOVE MOUNT PLATE? thanks in advance for any help

2. Snarl

Snarl

removing the front motor plate requires tearing down literally half the motor and requires buying a full gasket set in order to accomplish.

Have you actually made measurements? I've not heard of anyone having a problem with drilling 2 holes in the later plate.

Perhaps using a front motor mount from a '47-54 truck will work? I know it will work with the '56 motor plate. You would just need to compare it with the '46 mount as far as height and the bolting to the frame.

If the '46 has 2 separate rectangular type mounts, perhaps you can just move them closer together?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Remove crank pulley ,oil pan ,timing cover , side cover ,rocker cover,rocker assy, pushrods, lifters,dist. cam ,then front motor plate. In that order,most people just drill new holes in plate thats there.

4. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

the 46 has two seperate mounts they are farther apart than the 56 plate is wide. i really dont want to change the plate.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Adapter plate?

6. can you just fabricate and weld a plate to the new 235 and make it fit ???

7. project 41

project 41
    from colorado

i havent seen any adapter plates patricks says the plate on the 56 can be drilled to match the 46 mount location but i have to say it doesnt look like it can i will check it closer