Register now to get rid of these ads!

216 engine on a stock 47 fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PLANETGETLOW, Jan 24, 2014.

1. PLANETGETLOW

PLANETGETLOW
    from Arizona

Sorry for the stupid question but what is the outside filler neck located on the passenger side of the engine block for? Sometimes it will blow coolant out of it. Should. I fill this up or not?

2. 1st off read the rules , please post an INTRO.

2 pictures help , looking at my 216 I don't see a "filler neck" for coolant unless your speaking of the shut off from the water-pump that would go to the heater core , if so turn the valve all the way off or remove it and install a pipe plug.

3. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

thats probably the road draft tube. i've seen some that have a cap for oil fill.

4. PLANETGETLOW

PLANETGETLOW
    from Arizona

Sorry ill post a bio when I get on a PC instead of this iPad, and yea I googled road draft tube, that's it. What's its purpose

5. its purpose is to ventilate the crankcase;) , it shouldn't blow coolant:eek:, good luck

6. PLANETGETLOW

PLANETGETLOW
    from Arizona

It doesn't blow coolant out of it, I guess I stated that wrong. and maybe it's coming from somewhere else but i THINK I have seen some come from somewhere in that area before.

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The old road draft tubes predate the pcv valve, they allowed the crankcase to vent but
    were a major pollution source and as the old oils were non detergent the oil that came from them could be very nasty looking, easy to see why someone not familiar would think
    it was coolant.

8. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Here is a pic of the road draft tube. Diluted oil and crankcase condensation could drip out of it. With a lot of blow-by it can be a mess.

[​IMG]