Register now to get rid of these ads!

215 inline 6 just a push rod or bad cam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vein, Jan 15, 2012.

1. vein

vein

A week ago I had a adjusting nut back off on the rocker arm assembly. It was the #2 exhaust. I went through and readjusted them to spec which is .015. I drove the car around and it ran fine with no oil pressure issues or radiator temp problems. I also ran a vacuum gauge check the gauge read fine. OK. fast foward a week later as I pull into work my car sounds horrible. So I got towed home. I pulled the valve cover off assuming that I had a nut back off and everything was tight. I then proceeded down to the side cover on the distributor side. I took that off and notice that the #2 exhaust push rod was not sitting on the lifter it was sitting off. NOT WHERE THATS SUPPOSED TO BE. So I proceed to loosen the upper rocker arm assembly I pulled all my pushrods and checked them and none are bent, So I replaced the #2 pushrod with another one. But haven't proceeded to do another adjustment. My question is what would cause this? Is my cam toast? If it is the cam, can I put in a new cam without pulling the motor? or should I just pull the motor and look at it having rebuilt? Thanks guys!

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Put everything back together and adjust. Turn engine over and see if the #2 exhaust rocker moves as much as the rest. If it does most likely not cam issues. If your gas is old and smells bad you may have a sticky valve. Hell just hose that valve stem down with carb spray for GP,won't hurt a thing.

3. vein

vein

ok will do!

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Like John mentioned, you might not have adjusted that one rocker correctly the first time the nut loosened.