Register now to get rid of these ads!

21 stud flathead options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49anglia, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 49anglia

49anglia

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, i did search but didnt find much and im unfarmiliar with terms.

I have a UK 21 stud flathead.

I still needa few parts that ill aquire as and when but need to know what to look for.
    I need water pumps, distributor, starter motor, genny, exhaust manifold and carbs.
    Are these 21/24 stud specific?

The engine will be pretty stock except for some flow work. Can i raise compression? After market heads aretn readily available are they so can i skim the stock heads, or use copper sheet gaskets?

I want to use an aftermarket inlet manifold, what manifold/carb set up would you recomend for a reasonably stock engine?
    I want to get this sorted first as the engine is in the living room and i want it to look nice so the wife doesnt moan to much :D

Dont want to spend a fortune on this motor, its just a bit of fun:)

Idiot brit who knows nothing about US engines :rolleyes:

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is this a '37--'52 type with provisions for pumps in block, or a '36--back with only inlet holes in block?? UK made both...don't remember your pictures from earlier posts. If '37 type, pumps match '37-48.
    Gen...'33-48 will fit, I think UK used both USA several types and Lucas units...
    Starter...all 221/239/255 same, 60 and automatic trans different
    exhaust...all '32-53 fit
    Carbs...all three bolt interchange, some UK engines used four bolt Solex or something, some WWII Bren engines had 2-barrel manifold adapted to 1 barrel.
    Distrib...UK used USA three bolters and two different Lucas...my preference would be USA 2-bolt distrib, requires simple spacer (or adapter/spacer) to use on your rig...
    Least trouble for a quick aftermarket setup would be a dual with Stromberg carbs. Total trouble/expense will depend on manifold...there are tall ones that allow total bolt on, better ones that require generator move. This latter is easy if '37, gets complex for '36.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Put on pics...would like to see how engine is equipped. Lots of variety in UK only parts.

4. 49anglia

49anglia

Ill get some pics up tomorrow. The block is in the boot of my BMW at the moment and the rest is in the shed.

The water pumps bolt to the block but dont know if both types do that. Looks like the impeller slides into the hole in the block, 3 bolts around the outside i think and one bolt inside the water outlet (stupid idea!!).

I think i have a 37 on engine so eveything should be pretty easy.

Inlet manifolds, if they require moving the genny where to you mount it/run if from? I figured i'd probably end up custom fitting an alternator somewhere anyway.

So, twin carb manifold with twin strombergs hey, sounds good to me. Would triple carbs be OTT?

Any makes of inlet vastly better than others?

Thanks.

Oh, any specific pics you want? Engines in bits just need to take the cam out.

Out of interest, i was looking for big end bearings, do US engines have one set of shell halves for 2 rods? 8 halves in an engine set. Do the rods spin on the bearings then?
    Just curious.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

USA uses one set of bearings per 2 rods, full floating...cuts total friction, almost eliminates rod problems at high load or rpm, costs more, requires careful fitting...some British engines used 2 versions of odd bearings that lock to rods. At least one of these can take USA/Canadian bearings...get a repro Pilot manual.
    Your engine uses normal '37-48 pumps, can take early heads with pumps up there too.
    Manifolds are available with odd carb spacing to allow generator in normal place.
    Most 'Super" duals require generator bracket on head, some might allow room for alternator in cenbter. Tall supers like Edelbvrock/Offy/Evans probably best for performance.
    Triple most likely excessive for 221.
    On pics, just trying to figure out origins and history, the UK used these in so many ways.

6. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Give Nervous Bob a ring. If there's stuff you can't find he probably has it on his shelf :D

7. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

49 anglia you want to speak to Pete at nordian [email protected] or nervous bob on 01359230027, both are very good with flatheads of all varieties. for all the parts you would need to build it speak to pete or bob - they have all the bearings etc. in stock and are in england - no need to be sending away and possibly getting the wrong pieces.

a good please to start would be to get a pilot engine book as I am guessing your engine is from a pilot, the books are on ebay all the time or the early ford club might have something worth reading.

you dont often see twin carb manifolds for them, dont think ive seen a triple carb manifold for a 21 stud but im sure they are out there. if you do get a triple carb manifold think about blocking off the end carbs as it would be way over-carbed. as for gen mounting you get mounts which go over each head which bolt on, or you could use a small alternator in front of the manifold on a slingshot type bracket - there are lots of options.

for heads get a set of ali heads then polish them, they look pretty cool, you could get them skimmed a little to raise compression but it would run good with a decent valve job

8. Mart

Mart

The Pilot motors use a Lucas starter, with a finer pitch on the ring gear teeth. I have a hunch, not sure, just a hunch, that a USA v8-60 starter is the same, maybe someone can add further info. The English starter will not fit a USA sump. So you must use English starter, flywheel and sump as a set. No problem if they're in good nick. As Bruce has said, water pumps common with USA, inlet manifolds common with USA early style.
    I've ran 2 94's on Edelbrock and Thickstun manifolds with success on a 21 studder.
    Ignition can use Lucas, USA diver's helmet or 2 bolt crab style on an adaptor. I'd recommend the crab style on an adaptor.
    English sumps are available NOS from flatheadv8 on UK ebay.
    Mart.

9. 49anglia

49anglia

Great, thanks folks.

Ill ring bob soon about bearings.

Ill stick with 2 carbs.

I have sump, flywheel and clutch but the rign gear is a little ropey.

Ill leave that descision for another day.

Where can i get ally heads for it? I assumed there super rare for 21 stud.

And yeah, pilot motor.

10. Bentcoupe

Bentcoupe

i have a 21 stud english motor in a T bucket im putting crab dizzy with 'adapterplate' and us 47 alloy inlet manifold with rest original I think the motor was a 'Thames Trader'