Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

If I ever get to go.........please show me where the "Suede Palace" building is located! :)

Big Plan Dan, loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  2. Both very nice builds, and, as most rods are, a source of ideas and inspiration for us "bums" slogging away in a hot workshop. The '36 is my favourite, but I could be biased.
    Must catch the big silver bird one day and see that show!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. I was pulling for "Tweety"... couldn't wait to see more pictures posted on this little Texas Hot Rod.. Congrats to the 2019 AMBR winner.. Was just wondering are those wheels one off ? seems like I have seen those on other builds...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Blue Pearl

Blue Pearl

The thing I liked best in the AMBR competition was the map showing Cory Taulbert's road trip from Metro Detroit. P3720232.JPG

5. The AMBR award hasn't been about 'hot rods' for years. Once the pro builders got a foothold, it was over. Sure, a 'traditional' or even trad-styled honest-to-god Hot Rod or two is entered every year, but I can't remember the last time one won it. It's become Hot-roddings' equivalent of a cross between the Paris Auto Show (where how cutting-edge it is counts) and Pebble Beach (where minute detail and rarity is King). But as a place to see the very best in craftsmanship related to our hobby, the AMBR (and the Ridler Award) are where you come to see it. It's always educational to look at them, even if they don't have much traditional cachet...

I miss the outrageous winners of the past; the Ala Kart, the XR6, and yes, even the Invader. While these don't easily fit the mold of 'traditional', there is also no doubt that they sprung from the minds of Hot Rodders. A real hot rod will have a certain 'rawness' and should generate excitement. Most current entry's trade detail and sophistication for those qualities, to their loss. To me, they're all more than a bit sterile.

And again, my hat's off to the 'Tweety Bird' crew. One thing that I admire greatly is they resisted the pressure to 'over restore' the car. I'm sure that cost them points, but kept it true to it's roots.

6. Thanks for the pics! iphone or no, good photos.
    I'm not trying to be negative, but looking at these pics
    ( and others), it hit me why I no longer go to the AMBR show.
    I was thinking that it was the hassle, the crowds etc. but I realized that isn't it.
    Most all the cars are flawless, perfectly executed and constructed, thoughtful engineering and design.
    But I realized it's the same reason I don't attend the Winternationals anymore.
    The cars just don't have soul. As said above, the rawness is missing.
    The peak of such things is fifty to sixty years ago. That's when it fit the culture, it was new and exciting. Now....not so much. EVERYTHING nowadays is slick, perfect and professional......be it movies, TV, music, cars, car shows, the drags, Indy , everything. But it also seems sterile, without character and dry.
    I'm NOT criticizing ANY builder or car, not at all. But maybe that's just my ages talking. I realize it looks different to young people, but I am what I am !
    You could lock me in a barn with every tool in the world and I'd NEVER be able to even come close to the crazy good skills displayed! But that's not really my point.
    It's the age we live in. I'll stick to small gatherings, the odd car at the beach ( or where ever), "nostalgia" (GOD, I hate that term) racing, reading books, black & white photography...the basics. Must be my old age! But this stuff just doesn't do much for me! It's like silicone boobs. LOL
    Thanks again, looking forward to more postings and pictures.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  7. Like this? The winner in 2016.
    24189910.jpg

Irish Mike, Tim, Blues4U and 10 others like this.
  8. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I was hoping Chad Adams’ car would have won.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Surf City likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is awesome.

10. Faux traditional.... '40s era exterior styling, but with a SBC in it? And no hot rodder who wasn't colorblind (or just plain blind) would have painted his car that color in the mid-late '50s...

If you're building a traditional car, it needs to be era-correct or it's not really traditional is it?

11. "Trad-styled"your words does not denote era correct.

Irish Mike, Tim, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  12. The sbc didn’t debut until 01/01/65
    Fact

(Sarcasm)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Well, to me 'traditional' and 'traditionally styled' are two different things, but are united in that both should at least semi-accurately reflect the era of the build in their 'flavor'. As I see it, it's impossible to build a 'traditional' or even 'styled' '40s era hot rod if you bring in parts newer than about '53 or any production OHV V8. A Lincoln or Caddy flathead? No problem. A OHV conversion on a flathead? Again, no problem. But once you go to a production OHV V8, you're out of that era and the build should reflect that. If the '16 winner had a '49 Olds or Caddy in it, I might give the car a pass, but not with the SBC.

The introduction of the SBC in '55 was a paradigm shift; the flathead was dethroned, guys quickly learned that the early running gear wouldn't live long behind these more powerful motors so more modern parts became common. The HAMB period of '55 to '65 saw gradual wholesale adoption of then-current parts and hasn't let up since. Where the problem for a 'true' traditional build comes in is with one major (SBC) and a few minor exceptions (SBF/FE Ford/RB Mopars), most of these early V8s and a lot of their associated parts went out of production by '65 and are no longer either easy or cheap to find/build. Guys started substituting the newer stuff on their otherwise 'correct' '55-65 era builds, and 'traditionally styled' was born. Throw in the custom wheel revolution of the '60s, and there was more blurring of the lines.

I'll add that I personally think that a lot of traditional rods were built all the way into the very early '70s, it was the fat tires that came into vogue that spoiled these. The Blue Streaks/Wide Ovals never did look right on rods.

14. Just don't like those wheels......but who em I to judge.....

15. Blue Pearl

Blue Pearl

What ever "it" was it was over in the mid 90's when Boyd Coddington told the promoter he wasn't taking his car out of the carrier unless he was guaranteed the AMBR. I don't remember if this was the show in Oakland, or the Cow Palace or the old train station in San Francisco when the Arena was being renovated. Maybe someone else remembers that fiasco. I mean Boyd's car was great but that was fixed.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Politics have been around the AMBR for years; Tex Smith was told he better get the XR6 done and to the show because it was already decided he would be the winner.

loudbang, deucemac and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walking in, it's on your right....it's the only building on the right. It wasn't as "suede" as in the past in my opinion.

Irish Mike, Blues4U, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. That '36 was a complete masterpiece. I am really glad I got to see it in person. All other contenders were stunning as well.

Deuce-Deano likes this.
  19. I really love all these car show experts that know of all the fixes and politics that go on, but were probably never associated with the show or the judging.

Mick

20. Blue Pearl

Blue Pearl

I told myself I wasn't going to do Suede Palace this year, there's three days worth of stuff to look at and I'm only good for one day in a row, now. So I covered around and inside Bldg 5 to begin the day, cool customs, I'd say, and then, of course Bldg 4 starting with the pin strippers charity auction. Done and out of Bldg 4 and up "Redwood Street" then looped around the garden railroad checking out the outside cars until I was about done walking with only the Suede Palace between me and the tunnel to Lot 9. Why not, I was there and had to walk that way anyway. What a pleasant surprise, real paint, all over the place. And I got to sit on the floor watching the Joey and the Showmen surf band show for half an hour resting up for the final hike to Row F.

21. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

So was I. After reading and looking at all the pictures on the Hamb it was awesome. That is such a beautiful roadster.And the map added to the coolness.The 36 is really nice too and congratulation for winning.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

You watch the video that HEMI32 posted to really appreciate the work that went into this car and this only what you can see how about the rest you can't see? 350 CNC machined parts, nice build, Tweetie is in a class by it self not taking anything away from Tweetie

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Pinkee's '36 is the textbook example of impeccable design paired with impeccable execution. That car was nothing short of beautiful, and the top profile alone should be the benchmark for all cars to follow.

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like them all.
    Show cars or drivers.
    Some more than others for sure.
    Has to have a look - sit right - attitude.

I've become ( over the years ) more of a preserver of history type cars ( as long as they are safe and not too much deterioration - like rotten/ broken frames, axles suspension etc. ).
    Has to be safe.
    Paint you can buff out - and what's a little faded paint or a scratch or two here and there.
    Original Engines with paint by oil film ( can't buy that in a can ) it's natural.

Original once Hot Rods or Customs from 50 - 70 years ago and early 60's to early 70's Muscle Cars preserve them as long as possible for me.

rod1, engine138 and Dan Hay like this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Gary I have too agree with you . I feel the same way. Personally ,I am more pleased and interested to see a traditional built hot rod at a show then a then a mega $$$ cream puff.

Ranchero59 and Sky Six like this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

No one's mentioning the Bldg. 9 cars – all Model As. I'd bet there were a bunch there that this audience would like.

27. 13clicks

13clicks

I wonder if back in the 40s - 60s if they were saying that the radical built show cars had no soul? I think anything too perfect and built with CNC machines are soulless unless you CAN'T tell they are built with 300 CNC programs. Just wondering... I dig all the entries this year....

28. 13clicks

13clicks

That section with the historical Model A's was my favorite. Soo many incredible stories with the cars was neat to see and eyefuck. I went there at first and came back for a second look... found neat things I didn't see the first time.

29. I think if we had a time machine and traveled back to show those builders this site they would have some interesting thoughts.
    1, probably proud people still care and still building
    2, wish they had some of our technology
    3, laugh their butts off at the things we complain about

Surf City and X-cpe like this.
  30. For a guy to have 38 runs over 400 at Bonneville and win the AMBR is impressive no matter how deep your pockets are. A true car guy won and there's nothing wrong with that, Congrats.