Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2017 TURKEY RUN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34toddster, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I'm wanting to do something besides sitting around getting over full on this coming Thankgiving, I ASSume the Turkey Run is worth doing one time.
    Anyone have any input on the Fun Factor that have gone to this event over the years?
    Thanks in advance!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Been going for the last 6 yrs..Spend most of the time over on the beach @ BelAir Plaza shopping center..Thats across the street from the LaPlaya motel ..Place is packed day & night with a constantly changing array of cars...Ton of fun , free but small and parking places are scarce later in the week,..Friday & Saturday late night gets a bit crazy ... You'll see and hear some really outrageous vehicles cruising thru..
    Only been to the Speedway show twice in the 6 yrs..

34toddster and FrankenRodz like this.
  3. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I go every year. It's two hours away for me. Should be on your bucket list. Huge event. Thousands of cars. Enough HAMB friendly cars to keep me returning. Special HAMB parking. Ask here for info. (I don't use it because I park with old non-HAMB friends.) Centrally located handicap parking. Huge swap meet. Some say if you can't find what you need it doesn't exist. And lots of vendors of new stuff. Also huge car corral but mostly non-HAMB cars. Very good assortment of food vendors on the field. Definitely go out to Bell-Aire Plaza in late afternoon. I usually leave the field around 3:00 or 3:30. Increases the likelihood I'll get a decent place to park. I sometimes camp out in front of a daily driver hoping they will soon leave. VERY, VERY crowded. Some guys give up and leave but it's worth trying to find a spot. You'll see cars there that you won't see on the field. As said above, some guys never go to field - just to Bell-Aire Plaza. But you should definitely go to field.

34toddster and Floater03 like this.
  4. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Franks on point. It definitely is a must see event at the speedway. Greg Pellicar? has a thread he does every year for HAMB parking inside the track. Nice spot too. Bel Aire Plaza has become a parking lot of cars for sale, most don't move all weekend. If you go, stay on the beach and set up a chair on the sidewalk in the evening. Lots of cruising on the "strip". They do have a few things in the parking lot at the track in the evening as well. Check out their fb page, Daytona Turkey Run, for more details.

34toddster likes this.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Been going since 1996, just an hour away. You can't see it all in one day, no way. It's a very good show and swap, well worth the trip, I never do the beaches hotel parking lot scene. IMO, the Moultrie GA swap meet the week before is a much better swap meet in regards to prices and old parts. They (Daytona) usually have a "celebrity" visitor meet and greet in the paddock area, last year was Butch "Eddie Munster" Patrick, one year Bobbie Allison a year or so ago it was Candy Clark, Cindy William and Bo Hopkins, along with a clone 32 and 55. By the way, if you go you need to get one of the GIANT fried tenderloin sandwiches!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    34toddster and Floater03 like this.
  6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Looking forward to going, my 20 YO Grand daughter is coming along so she can look at all the Tig Welding, Ha shes welds for a living and looks at the world thru a welding helmet
    Thanks for all the replies we will be there from Thursday leave Sunday
    Thanks!

Floater03 likes this.
  7. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Hey 34toddster, my Dad and brother should be there parked in the turn 4 area. Yellow `37 Ford Coupe and a `51 Ford shoebox, matte black. I can't make it this year. If you get a chance, you have to check out Racings North Turn. It's a restaurant/museum on the beach where the cars would come off the beach and head back down A1A. Good food and lots of car and bike memorabilia.

34toddster likes this.
  8. long island vic

long island vic

wake up at 7.00,, cross silver lake bridge be one of first in line,,get bacon
    and eggs at track, walk swap,, leave about 400,, quick shower,, eat beach side,, find a spot at belair,,,leave about midnite...get a few hours rest ,,,,repeat for next few days , slight detour at bigums,,always a parking spot,,detour too molly browns,,,life is good............theres a grayhound on the beach side to send your parts home,,,,if you can,t find a spot at belair just find a parking lot on a1a and set up a chair

Floater03 and 34toddster like this.
  9. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

You'll have fun! I've been going for 43 years! Hard to believe.
    It got lame for a few years, but better last year. Many big name Vendors haven't been there for a while, but worth the Trip for the all the extra activities, as mentioned.
    We have a home 1-mile up from the BelAir Plaza and it is worth checking out. I'll be there with my Hot Rod Bicycles, stop by and say hi.
    When I was a kid, there were non-street legal cars running up and down A1A all night. People still sit out on the sidewalks to watch the cars at night. There is also the Gas Light Parade which is fun.
    LaPlaza was closed when I was down in May.

34toddster likes this.
  10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Thanks everyone for the info, now I need to print all of this off so I can take with me.
    Vic thanks for the Greyhound info, I'm driving my truck so I don't plan on buying anything longer than 8 ft!
    Thanks

11. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

34toddster likes this.