Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 2016 LA Roadster Show Express Smithfield, VA to Pomona, CA... we hope!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Dec 31, 2015.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmmmm.... looks like you guys have dislikes and misfortune in my back yard. The motel in Moriarty instructs you to plug in the refrigerator if you decide to use it. Check-in is like pulling teeth. Lots of highway noise as the trucks hit the rumble strip along there for some reason. Don't really know the place.
    The breakdown looks like the overpass to Villanueva, NM SR3. Not much there but that exit. We could have put the busted buggy in the hospital here if I'd have known.
    Keeping abreast of things here on the thread and it is making me itch to go. Just wish business wasn't backed up so much....as if I should complain! I think the help is going to get lots of OT because I'm going to be absent long enough to do this.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. gtrhotrod

gtrhotrod

Al, This was a very comfortable trip on I-40,Motel 6 at each stop,but maybe a little slow for you ( I know its too slow for Dickie and Tom) and maybe too organized. Roanoke to Nashville 450 miles 8 hrs Nashville to Fort Smith 534 miles 11 hrs Fort Smith to Tucumcari 570 miles 11 hrs Tucumcari to Flagstaff 520 miles 10 hrs Flagstaff to Pomona 420 miles 7 hrs We stopped every 125 mi for gas and P break. Kingman was last gas before a long hot desert ride. I had called ahead for reservations and stragglers or late sleepers knew where to meet up each day . Tom

3. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

I'm beginning to hear a voice in my ear...California is calling thumb_IMG_7330_1024.jpg

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Tom, I'm listening about being more organized. I have ballparked where we'll stop each night and did so after checking to ensure that there were a number of motels at each exit on I 40. I may go ahead and reserve rooms but want to have more time to think about it and go over the plan with the gang in order to keep us mostly on the same page.
    Thanks greatly for sharing your actual experiences as both a potential plan and also to serve as a measurement of actual total time each day versus on the driving times I presently have.
    From what I've heard from you and others, we'll probably try to get particularly early starts out of Tucumcari, NM and Kingman, AZ due to the heat in order to make the trip a bit less uncomfortable for those without A/C. Of course, I don't know how much help A/C is going to be in a convertible with the top up but it should be much better than no cool air at all.

My initial plan looks like this:
    Smithfield, Va to Harriman, TN 520 miles with driving time of 9.25 hours (I hope!)
    Next night will be Russellville, Arkansas 556 miles with 8.5 hours driving time
    Then Tucumcari, NM 627 miles with 9 hours of driving
    Then Kingman, Arizona 641 miles with 9 hours of driving
    Then get to Pomona, CA 295 miles with 4.5 hours of driving.

If the above plan ends up being close to accurate, I will really be surprised!

Tom's trip covered 145 miles less than this one as we're a bit east of Tom.:)

Larry (winduptoy), thanks for the added info about the motel in Moriarity... I think we'll try to miss that one.;)
    Keep planning the work for the gang while you're gone. I hope it all goes smoothly.

I'm still getting PMs about meeting somewhere along the way or possible riding a few exits with us. I want to explore more planning of the lunch stops with help from the HAMB but guess I need to nail down the days first so will have some idea when will be where for lunch.:rolleyes: Details, details!:D

Jack! Great to hear from you and the picture is great!
    I know you plan to be there, like always, but would love to have you go with us.
    We're all looking forward to your help and guidance about what to see and when once we get there. Having help from Jack will be priceless!!:)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. gtrhotrod

gtrhotrod

Al,this trip was better planned,longer first day but we got to Pomona by 1:00.

Roanoke -Jackson Tn 538 mi 8 hr (add 3hr from Smithfield)

Jackson-Oklahoma City 570 mi 8:40

Oklahoma City -Albuquerque-550 mi 8:45

Albuquerque- Kingman 480 mi 8 hr

Kingman- Pomona 330 mi 6 hr

Al, we left early each morning to beat the heat. We were usually at the motel by 2: 00 or 3:00. Time to clean up and go to dinner. Evenings might be a better time to meet friends along the way or to hook up with people who join us. Tom

Hamtown Al likes this.
  6. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Roadsters don't have any windows, (Al get what I mean ) Bigs & Littles wheels will be rolling... jac jalopyrama.jpg

7. This sounds like an epic trip. I'd give anything to Cannonball it to LA with Dickie Burke!!! To say I'm jealous would be an understatement!

If you guys need anything near Knoxville, TN let me know. Unless I'm traveling for work, I should be close by.

Likewise, count me in for dinner if you stop on your way through the area. If I'm in town, I'd love to meet you guys on your way through.

Jim

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jim, it will be great to have you join us for dinner... and to LA if you want!!:D
    How about checking with some of your pals to scout us out a good restaurant in Harriman?
    We'd prefer a local mom and pop place if there is one but we'll go on your recommendations.
    I'm guessing it is about 30 minutes up the road from Knoxville.

I keep talking to Tom in Vinton, Va to get his help and insight and guidance. I'm hoping all this coaching will help us make the trip a successful and fun experience. I'm also pressing 'ole Tom to GO with us to make sure we don't get lost!!:eek:

Tom has assured me he WILL be in Pomona, one way or the other, and between he and Jack; our touring in Pomona to see the rod shops and other attractions should be a great success. I'm honored that these fine fellows are going to help us newbies see the sights. I'm hoping we will NOT need their help with any repairs to the cars!:eek:

I've made contact with a number of folks in CA over the years while doing research on just how many 1936 Ford 4 door convertible sedans were made with slantback rear styling versus the trunk model. I'll have to research my notes to see if any of them are near Pomona or usually attend the LA roadster show... it would be neat to shake their hands and put a face with a name.:) More homework but it is fun.;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

thumb_IMG_7378_1024.jpg when are we leaving got a gig in California...

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well this is starting to shape up in some respects. If you decide to make Albuquerque a stop over for the night I'll work on trying to figure out a good place for you all to stay with reasonable security for the cars. It gives me less time to get the car ready though.

Larry

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack,
    Your pictures are precious!
    Thanks for sharing such neat pictures.:cool:
    I heard you are building a 32 taxi to take a whole load of fellas to CA!:D
    How is the sedan coming? Please see if you can get your model to show it to us.;)
    Keep workin'
    Al

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

No, Larry, you are not going to be able to blame me if the car isn't ready!:D
    You stay on the car as that matters most.;)
    At the moment, we're planning to stay in Tucumcari, NM, about 175 miles east of Alburquerque Saturday night.
    Hopefully we'll add you fellas to our convoy Sunday morning. Not sure about the time but we'll get that coordinated as we get closer to the trip but we're being advised to leave real early that day in order to travel in cooler conditions for as long as possible. I'll have to work that out with the gang. We'll also want to leave real early Monday morning from Kingman for the same reason.
    Just 3 months and nine days and we'll be heading your way!:) And... you can start working on your cars!!;)
    My co-pilot is coming over a day early to pack the car so we can get off to a quick start the next day.

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Just got back from a strategy lunch with Shadow and a new recruit... sorta, that we'll call Scout.
    Scout, sometimes known as Jack, is leaving June 9th from VA but he apparently has to make sure roosters are awake each day so he'll leave REALLY early; probably about 3 hours ahead of us. Thus, he becomes "Scout."
    Of course, if he should happen to get held up due to last minute adjustments or not being able to find that spare fuel pump or his sunglasses, or oversleeps:rolleyes:; his trip moniker will change from Scout to Sleepy!:D
    Scout might be able to scare up a few more victims... er, I mean recruits to go with us.:)
    I'm pleased that Scout is planning to give it a shot. We also worked out a secret procedure wherein Scout will mark the way for us... white lines along the edges of the road with yellow stripes every so often down the middle.;)
    Scout said he was using yellow for the center stripe because he knew that was my favorite color... I might be calling him Scout but he has definitely done his research!

Anyway, went over to Scout's to check on the taxi I heard he was building. Scout very graciously granted me permission to take some pictures but strictly cautioned me about taking any closeups!:eek:
    Can't be disclosing any trade secrets! You have to know that a guy known as jackandeuces is building a 32.
    I was very impressed with the build. Not just the craftsmanship, which was great; but the little details in the planning and construction that to me were off the chart!! This guy can build a deuce. I doubt he knows how many he has built and/or help build over the years. He will help build anything as long as it is a 32!
    Some might call it one dimensional; I call it focused!! Like me and 36 Fords and 40 pickups. I understand. I just wish I was even remotely as good at it.:(
    Enough of the bull, here's the chassis and the chopped body:
    IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    A lot of planning is incorporated into the body. In the process of building and rebuilding the inner structure of the top, he incorporated a wiring harness that plugs in at the firewall and comes out at the back of the body, down low to connect to the rear lights and gas tank... no wiring running along the chassis or the floor of the car!:)
    The top was filled with the roof from a 59 Edsel... we all have those laying around, right?:rolleyes:
    That top is well insulated and solid as all get out. The body is already insulated inside as well.
    It will be a neat car.
    Updates when available.
    Anybody else?
    Surely you want to tag along for a few exits or meet us for lunch or dinner. Dinner might work better, as Tom pointed out earlier, as we will hopefully have a much better idea of just where that will be.:)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hmmm. June 12th, you say........I`ll have to really think about that....

15. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Al ,you did good , wish I could finish the mor/dor in time , but what the heck it is LARoadster show not LA mor/dor ...You liked the pictures so much , there's another.....
    thumb_IMG_7369_1024.jpg

Hamtown Al, OL 55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. So are you making the trip Jack?

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Kiwi Tinbender, we'd love to see you in Kingman but it looks like a 300 mile plus detour that would let you get to cross the desert twice in just two days!:eek:
    Make and send me something small that I can bring back to you as evidence of you being with us "in spirit" if you want but your interest and good wishes are more than enough.
    No matter what, I still want you, and anybody else that would like to, to find us and introduce yourselves.

I don't know what the rest of the gang will be wearing but I most likely will be wearing a light blue club shirt like the one in this picture. For reference, I'm to the right of the lady and will likely be wearing the same goofy hat... that helps keep the sun off me!!;)
    York2014Sarah.jpg
    This picture was taken in York and these same five fellows are going again this year.
    The fellow on the far right couldn't get a hall pass but the rest of us are planning to make the trip to the roadster show. George, on the left, will be driving the silver 39 cabriolet. Next to him is Shadow, my co-pilot. Next to him is Lighweight, who is flying out there. I thought our shirts would show up better.:(
    Here's the logo that is screen printed on the back of the shirts. This is an old decal as the club is in its 42nd year now. Time flies and seems to be picking up speed!:eek:
    PSRAlogo.JPG

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Al, I got the '29 Model A Roadster out today. All the time I've been running 60 mph indicated on the speedometer, I've really been traveling 72 mph. This according to the app that gives me the speed on my smart phone. I would have known this sooner but just recently traded my rotary flip phone in for the smart one. I guess this is a good thing other than folks keep calling me on it. It would appear that there will be a banger in the bunch. As it stands right now you will be adding two cars to your convoy at exit 178 on I-40 in New Mexico.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Wow! Larry, you can thank me now for making your 29 12 MPH faster!!:D
    If we hadn't sucked you into joining us you might not have ever known!:rolleyes:
    I'm glad to hear that you fellows are good to go and am looking forward to meeting y'all.
    I also saw somewhere else on the HAMB that you have checked out your tires, too. I think everybody is doing all they can to prepare their cars for the trip and have along a few spare parts... just in case!:eek:
    I, too, got my cabriolet out the other day and took it on a 50 mile spin and all seems in order but, like everybody else, there is one or two little things I'd like to do to it before we go.:rolleyes:
    We should be hitting exit 178 fairly early that morning as we will likely be trying to get ahead of the heat from the sun but since you will be about two hours up the road; we'll probably be ready for a gas and pit stop if we haven't already done that at least once!;) Please let me know if there is not a good gas stop there and we can adjust our planning.
    All of the planning is subject to revisions and I want to review it with the gang beforehand to see what we might have overlooked and make sure it seems reasonable to all concerned.:)
    I think I have managed to work out the timing of the take off for the initial five of us such that we'll reasonably converge at about the same time and hopefully get to Montvale, VA for breakfast with Tom Richardson and maybe a few others.
    While the trip is intended to be an "express" trip out there, it is not intended to even remotely become a job.
    We're going to do our best to have a fun time that is not so strenuous on the way that we are too pooped to participate in the events related to the LA Roadster show once we get there.;)

I think Scout made it clear that while he was happy to show me his progress and even predicted he'll have it running this spring, he ain't driving any more door to the roadster show! I didn't think he would but what kind of pal wouldn't kid him about it?!! Jack has seldom been seen driving anything with a permanent top for many, many years; if ever.

20. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Now I have to think about what to get mailed! I probably can get your address from Mike Thompson. I know him a bit, and he lives pretty close to me...

Hamtown Al likes this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You Al, probably saved me a speeding ticket...
    There is a gas station at the exit it is an independent but is handy and I get free coffee there. Has some photo ops there too. I don't know why you guys are worried about the heat, it is a dry heat.
    Too bad the more door won't be ready, I sure like more doors and Scout is doing it up right.

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks, Larry, for the prompt feedback about a gas stop. I'm not so sure the whole pack will be welcomed regarding the free coffee!! Hopefully, at that point in the trip, we will still have enough money to buy our own coffee!!
    Coming back... might be a different story!!
    I wish Scout would give permission to share some of the details of his build... some look dang smart to me but what does a guy that builds 36 Fords and 40 pickups know about 32s?!?! Many are so simple and yet exhibit such knowledge and experience that make the car relatively easy to put together... and take apart again!
    The way it is built, that more door could be a 3 window in less than a week... provided you had the 3w body!!

I sent off a PM to Kiwi Tinbender with my address in case he does want us to transport a memento from him as a token of his support and good wishes. I told him his kind words and support were plenty but if he did make something and send it to me, I will bring it to him. Hopefully it will not be an ice chest!!

Larry, I hope that "dry heat" is as mild as you say but I spoke to our fearless journalist from last year's trip yesterday and he said the heat in LA "was brutal." We can tell from his trip tale the guy is a wus but he DID hang with Dickie so I MIGHT just be completely wrong about him!! I doubt I could have done what he did... shoot, I know I couldn't. He did give me some tips on researching some high tech clothing that might be cooler and more comfortable and durable on the trip. I rushed over to Bass Pro Shops to begin my research and returned home some time later impressed with all the stuff out there but confused by all the stuff out there; if you know what I mean. More research is needed but it does look promising for added options on the trip.

I was beginning to get concerned about having enough room for our stuff in the cabriolet when it dawned on my that Dickie and Tom went last year in a 32 3 window that had a rumble seat! The trunk in my cabriolet is humongous compared to what they had for space. We'll be fine but you always are concerned about what you MIGHT need! Then you get back and ask yourself what were you thinking when you decided to take that; and that; and that!?

I hope George doesn't feel like this on the trip:
    PSRA29Geo.JPG

This picture was made in 2003 when George was "late" getting out of the fenced in yard surrounding our clubhouse due to time behind the clubhouse "checking the flowers!" Fortunately for George, some of us were still saying our goodbyes and BSing when he finally got finished inspecting the flowers!

23. Henry Bennett

Henry Bennett

When you see Dickie, tell him Henry, says Hi. Thanks

Hamtown Al likes this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hi Henry (and Ann!),
    I'll tell him. Your name rang a bell and I think that I bought some new drip rails for a 40 coupe I had a few years back from y'all.
    Also, I think Dickie's 34 roadster is out your way getting some updates... perhaps you can get by there(Gene's) and share a picture or two if you get time.
    Anyway, here are a few pics of the 40 coupe that had a 55 Desoto hemi that I added a 5 speed and late Ford rearend using CE stuff. THAT would have been a good one to drive to CA as it had the 5 speed and a 2.42 rear ratio!:eek:
    Yeah, I screwed up when buying the rearend... was too focused on getting the right width and completely overlooked the ratio.:rolleyes: It left for NC before I got to change the rearend ratio.
    It was funny though... I drove it around town in 2nd and 3rd and sometimes 4th if I gained much speed. One day I got it up to 70 MPH and shifted in 5th gear... the tack dropped to what seemed like about 1,200 rpm and was just looping! Lesson learned. Do a bit more research when buying stuff!;)
    Wmbg2011a.jpg
    DSC01508.jpg
    Eng1.jpg

Henry, you can go with us if you like. Want to join us for dinner in Harriman, TN on Thursday, June 9th?
    Miss Ann would be a welcome Rose among all us thorns!

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm pleased to report that we had our first planning lunch with all the drivers leaving from this end of VA with the exception of Dickie, who was off to PA to pickup another special engine for one of his treasures.
    There were six of us at lunch and the meal was great... the restaurant is our preferred Saturday breakfast spot and they insisted on putting two big tables together so we would have plenty of elbow room... full figured boys and all that!:rolleyes:

I gave them a handout, complete with map and driving instructions, of the "Pomona Plan." WAY too much detail but it was simpler to just copy the map software than try to revise it. I started to try to revise it for brevity but quickly gave up!:(

The main purpose was to give the highlights on a one page summary that we discussed; and then got into the suggested strategies for gas stops, night stops, breakfast, and dinner.

We also shared info about some of the high tech clothing that is available and found out that some already had some of the stuff.;)

Three of us drove our trip vehicles to lunch. I didn't get the memo to have the top down but I quickly revamped my car's profile to conform!

Here we be:
    20160310 Plan lunch 1b.JPG
    Jerry is on the left, George is on the driver side of his car with his co-pilot, Randy, on the passenger side. I'm last.
    20160310 Plan lunch 1e.JPG
    Tom T also came but didn't get the memo to drive his car.:eek: Scout was there, too, but he didn't get the memo either and had rushed off to get back on his more door before we could get a picture of 'ol Smilin' Jack!:D

Since we all enjoyed the food, we thought we might need ANOTHER planning lunch in about a month!;)

It was great to meet with the fellows and share ideas. Meetings with your pals is always a good thing; especially when we're eating!!:)

Who else wants to go? Come join us for dinner in Harriman, TN, Russellville, AR, Tucumcari, NM, or Kingman, AZ. Or just catch us on I 40 and ride a few exits with us. It'll be fun.:)

26. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

That's a good lookin bunch of rides!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Three months from today we will be picking up our two fellows in New Mexico.

I got a recent report from Larry that Rick is the other victim…ahem…recruit from New Mexico.
    They have had a couple of discussions about the trip but as for planning, not yet other than they will meet up with us on the 12th and motor to Kingman for the night.

Note to self: Tell Larry that if he waits to join us on the 13th, like he put in his email, it will be a llloooonnnggg wait as we'll be coming by there on the 12th!;)

Larry won’t admit that he's been going over the cars mechanically and did replace rear wheel bearings on the ’31 and worked on the tri-power set up of the carbs. He also got another tire on the ’29 that looks to run pretty true and that has mostly solved front end vibrations above 70 mph.

Larry seems to think we'll be "too pretty" to let then hang with us but he doesn't know us and also "pictures can be deceiving!":eek: Larry claims they probably will address the amount of clothes needed by wearing the same outfit over and over.;) He says it is a low tech solution and may make us want to distance ourselves even farther!:rolleyes:

That might work for them but we will already be on our FOURTH day of travel when we MEET them! You can talk about "distancing ourselves" but after driving that far in a painted, upholstered 1936 or earlier car so we can qualify for "roadster area" parking; we are NOT going to risk still being rejected for "foul odor!":D

Larry's hoping to get a photo of him and Rick, maybe with cars, with chairs tied to the roofs. He says there's more room for tools and spare parts that way. No, he's not taking a spare tire; "I have a chair to sit in waiting for road service if I have a flat.":)

Larry, we're going so far in planning in VA that one of our gang, Jerry, has a BACKUP ride that would qualify for "roadster parking", too! Lucky Jerry has TWO cars that were built by Rick Talbot!:) Some guys have all the luck at being at the right place at the right time!:rolleyes:

Here's the backup car that he drove to breakfast this morning:
    20160312 backup.JPG

No word yet from Henry Bennett as to whether they will join us for dinner in Harriman, TN but we're hoping.;)

I found my contact list of 1936 Ford convertible sedan owners in California and sent off emails last night... a couple got returned as it has been awhile since I've contacted them. Hopefully, I'll get to meet a least a few of them while we're out there.:)

I'll end this update as Larry ended his email to me:

"On Countdown."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  28. gtrhotrod

gtrhotrod

Al, With Dickie, Tom P, and Jack I count 7 Roadsters and 12 guys from Va, with 2 joining in Kingman. Any one else along the way?
    I have two good days of shop tours lined up for Wed and Thur.
    91 days! Tom

29. Henry Bennett

Henry Bennett

We will sure try. Ann, Henry.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Tom, I think your count is pretty close. We're still trolling for more victims... er, recruits!! Our scout, Jack, might stimulate a few others to come along but no word yet. Another local that has been to Bonneville with the Bones has expressed an interest but nothing else thus far. Some are concerned that we'll get to be too large a pack but I'm confident that with the great number of "independent thinkers" in this crowd that we'll likely be spaced out on the highway and following slightly different versions of "the plan" but I think it will work out fine. Those "slightly different versions" will mostly be guided by the demands of a few smaller gas tanks and many more complaining bladders!!:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for lining up a couple days of shop tours for us. That will be great.

I found a restaurant in Harriman, TN called the Roane Street Grill that advertised home cooking. I called and talked to Becky and she assured me that home cooking was the order of business. She said she thought they could put up with 15, or so, of us for dinner; one time anyway!:D Becky also hoped she'd be working that night so she could see our cars!!:)
    Roane St Grill.jpg

I forgot to ask if they had possum stew on the menu for the mountain fellows! It will just have to be a surprise!

Ann, please see if you can get Henry to take you up to the Roane Street Grill in Harriman; if it isn't too far from you, and give us a first hand account of the delights of the food and what they have for dessert!!;)

I'm not sure just how much of a favor I'm asking so if it's too far we'll just have to wing it unless some HAMBer up that way either knows the Grill or can check it out for us beforehand. Of course, any "food scouts" would also be welcome to join us that Thursday night for dinner, too.:) I've got to check my notes but I think I got a PM from another fellow that might join us for dinner.

Tom has us down to the days!

On countdown... 91 per Tom!

Al