Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 Back To The 50's St. Paul, MN June 20, 21, 22

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed~On, May 20, 2014.

1. Hot and sticky on Saturday, but a GREAT show as always!

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am shocked that the car count was a bit down. When I walked the grounds, every nook and cranny was parked full. Even the huge lots on Randall were mostly full. Impressive, nonetheless.

3. jazz1

jazz1

We spent 4 days in St Paul to attend the event as I have been since '92. A Belair showing off its miles deep black paint parked beside my old binder.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  4. Soooooo, after posting this quess what happened Sunday morning? The sky was looking a little ominous so I decided to get an early start home. I got caught in a brief, but torrential down pour on 212 heading West out of the metro. I was going around a sweeping right hand bend trying to gradually slow down to prevent from being run over. I had moved to inside lane, which had more standing water and that is when the back end slipped out. I managed to maintain the slide for a few hundred feet doing my best Kyle Busch (which also gave a few cars time to slow down and watch something spectacular happen!) During this I slid up into the "high groove" before scrubbing off enough speed, then it hooked and turned me towards the median ith left front just in the median gravel. I collected myself, refired the car (had some raw fuel pumped into it), and got to the next underpass without getting run over, checked the car out, everything looked and felt fine. Less than mile up the road was a car on it roof, with fire and rescue on site, which was a little sobering. The rest of the drive was uneventful!

5. flew out thursday for our annual "guy trip". what a show! i took a lot of photos here are a few of my favorites. loved the american graffiti reenactment. DSCF3016.JPG DSCF3016.JPG DSCF3133.JPG DSCF3135.JPG DSCF3153.JPG DSCF3187.JPG DSCF3194.JPG DSCF3195.JPG DSCF3154.JPG

6. the fair grounds were beautiful. i had my first corn dog,tasted great, but......
    this buick had the "it factor" DSCF3029.JPG DSCF3028.JPG DSCF3027.JPG DSCF3030.JPG

7. too much to see...... DSCF3072.JPG DSCF3074.JPG DSCF3075.JPG DSCF3076.JPG DSCF3078.JPG DSCF3080.JPG DSCF3081.JPG DSCF3085.JPG DSCF3086.JPG DSCF3087.JPG DSCF3088.JPG DSCF3091.JPG DSCF3101.JPG DSCF3102.JPG DSCF3103.JPG

8. Speed~On

Speed~On

Lots of great cars at BTT50's as usual. Here are some more...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a great time. My Ford ran flawlessly. Got a little wet on the way home but I figured I won't melt. Good to see many of my friends including Bob K and Bobwop.

So glad they added Poutine to the menu for food choices. It was authentic therefore delicious.

bobwop likes this.
  10. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That'll wake you up, alright. Glad it ended well. Stuff happens quickly. Passed an accident scene Friday about 6:30, right where westbound I94 splits off into 35W south. A dark colored (black?) '55 Chev was parked up on the shoulder of 35W and a couple of other older cars, one of them looked like a copper or gold colored 53-54 Chev hardtop, that were pulled up on the median between the two highways. One of them must have been involved; just hope nobody got hurt. Anybody hear anything about that? Have no details and didn't really wanna be a "looky-Lou" in the middle of 65-mph three-lane traffic...
    Moral: Be careful out there!

11. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hallrods - check your PM's... oops, I mean "conversations"! :confused:

Appreciate the comments on the photo gallery, it's just a small taste and hope I didn't hijack. Thanks to all you guys for posting your pics - fun to see everything that I missed.

12. hallrods

hallrods

13. Dang, I've never seen so many '34 Chevys in one place! Usually they're Fords!
    Thx for the pics..

14. Speed~On

Speed~On

This is an amazing model of a junkyard this guy made. He made molds of different cars, then hand carved the details in each piece. He had in on display in one of the many vendor buildings at BTT50's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i.rant and Max Gearhead like this.
  15. Speed~On

Speed~On

Every Hot Rod vendor under the sun attended Back To The 50's. It was great to see all their items in person. Here is the new 1940 Ford Coupe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. some more;

Attached Files:

17. DSCF3054.JPG i was able to meet the famous bobk

18. a few more;

Attached Files:

19. some shots of the fairgrounds; DSCF3017.JPG DSCF3056.JPG DSCF3066.JPG DSCF3129.JPG DSCF3130.JPG DSCF3131.JPG

Attached Files:

20. all right had enough? DSCF3141.JPG DSCF3148.JPG DSCF3149.JPG DSCF3150.JPG DSCF3157.JPG

21. DSCF3188.JPG was this for real?

22. rickl

rickl

Thanks for the great pics. I was there all three days and seems like I missed a lot.

23. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Looks like a good show again this year.

24. That place must be on University Ave? just a guess..

25. i thought it was on snelling, during open hours they had the coffins on the sidewalk on display.

26. Oh OK, I see the reflection in the shop window of the Jehovah witness church. Must be down by the CVS, Taco Bell, Holiday gas station..close to the corner of Snelling and University..

27. I went on Sunday only - I'm lucky to live 20 minutes away from the fair grounds. I rode the space needle ride and shot these photo's. The needle is located in (almost) the south eastern most corner of the grounds. This first shot is looking west, the swap meet is almost in the middle of the photo, just beyond the trees. The southern border is the Lee and Rose Warner coliseum (home of the GSTA car show). The western border is just beyond the swap area. Minneapolis in the backround. image.jpg