Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 2013 AMBR Contenders are up on Hot Rod Magazine blog

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, Jan 24, 2013.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Is a Speed33 american manufactured? We had a car built here that was in the show (and won big) that was IIRC ineligible to compete for the AMBR.
    I think it would be awesome if cars from down under or europe were able to take a run at it....although the Rodshows.com site does say they need to be US built.

2. If it is one of those bodies that resemble a roadster but has roll up windows and convertible top then it was a convertible and not a roadster.

The Cane tourer (phaeton) was obviously accepted as it is competing for AMBR.

3. fleet-master

fleet-master

ahhh..yup i think it did, thanks Jimmy :p

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

n
    It will no doubt see plenty of duty on the street. Those Emperors don't let a little thing like no windshield get in their way of driving their hot rods. Throw on a pair of goggles or something else that covers your eyes the same way a biker has to do and you are good to go.

The problem with having an all black car is that the cameras don't love them and the detailed items that were years in the making drown in the black in the photos. Every part on that car is hand made or has been massaged extensively. Hopefully Tom Davison will take a batch of photos of it and post them so guys can see those details as it will take someone with his skills with a camera to catch them.

5. hawleywood1

hawleywood1

Great reply Sage. All the signs turned out awesome!!!

6. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

Based on past history I would say the safe money is on the Squeeg roadster. Not what anyone here wants to hear but.........GNRS is what it is

7. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

hard to pick the winner from a picture without seeing the details. who in their right mind would breed the munster coach with the monkee-mobile and stick it on too short of a chassis??? possibly pinocchio with that snout thats on it??? theres no substitute for taste.... all the rest of the cars look good.

8. My Pick is the Farley 32, just exhibits power, very traditional. The mumford gives me a "go-cart" feeling, something about it feels small and out of proportion. Agree with all that it should be a roadster, not tubs, pickups and monkee mobiles...........but, the craftsmanship and skills in these cars, WOW!!!

9. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Of course. ;)

10. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

This is why it should win. The Woodward guys should be really proud to be able to build a car of that caliber for a lot less money than million dollar guys.

11. turdytoo

turdytoo

x2.

12. Brujo29

Brujo29

My vote is for John's Woodward Roadster..Actually built by the owner and his club brothers.Building your own car and not just writing checks should be a requirement to win the AMBR award.If not,it just turns into who has the deepest pockets to pay the best builders to do it for you...

13. Brujo29

Brujo29

After I looked at the contenders,I posted my thoughts above without reading ahead.Just read this post and have to say that LisaPie hit the nail on the head..John and the boys are what Hot Rods are all about!

14. coupemerc

coupemerc

Geez...I just love the GNRS and I think that four of those roadsters have a legitimate shot at AMBR. I'd like to see the Farley 32 and Dave Simard walk away with it.

15. I would like to see a piture of the Mumford roadster with a driver sitting in it before I cast my vote. It sure is a great looking package!
    Ron

16. Here's some pics of the 12 AMBR contenders from yesterday, all I've had time to upload. The pics are on my Blog
    Didn't have time to add all the names when I posted it this morning but I will as I have time.

17. As always Dave you have the best GNRS photos, Thanks for the link. :cool:

18. Dar73

Dar73

Thanks for the pictures on your blog Dave. I am really liking the Farley 32 Roadster. I will keep checking for more pics!

19. Saw these on Youtube
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wm4UxuxFykQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tSh45yJuaBA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tSh45yJuaBA?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Am I the only one that noticed the color difference between the door/hood and body on the chevy roadster pickup?

21. Dar73

Dar73

Yeah... I thought the same thing. To his credit though I think I heard he was a fill in. I was at the show for a few hours yesterday and think I will go back tomorrow for another look. Maybe change my opinion AGAIN on who should win the AMBR. There are so many details that seem to get overlooked the first time around. The pictures that are being posted have been really good, I have noticed things that I didn't when I was at the show.

22. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

Your icon says it all to me

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  23. fleet-master

fleet-master

that car sure sounds sweet Jimmy

24. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i know what would save this, get the front wheel centered in the fender, and hang one of those 50's food tray with some plastic burgers and drinks off of the side glass. it's all about the "presentation". silly? silly like a fox. oh and some fuzzy dice.

25. Fantastic shots Dave, and lots of 'em too!
    Thanks,
    Dennis

26. It'll be close. The Mariani salt car has to be this year's dark horse, literally & figuratively.

27. Rod Hadfield pulled it off perfectly with his '55 Chevy and it would be an idea best moved on from.
    For the Mariani car to go 200 mph and look like it does in this show- that is superior.

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must be confused. No one here was talking about a Triumph. Time to give up your subscription to Import Tuner ;)

29. [​IMG]
    The ridiculous proportioned Deuce above is proof positive that deep pockets and good taste are not necessarily synonyms with each other!:rolleyes: HRP

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  30. I'm sorry. The contrast between that tub^ & Mr. Cain's lil' black beauty is so stark.
    Anyway, the Kelly Brown car by a nose from the Mariani, Simard & Jerger builds, & the others are amazing too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013