Register now to get rid of these ads!

2012 Great Race in a 1954 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54fordgasser, Jul 11, 2012.

1. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Hey All,
    For my summer internship with the Historic Vehicle Association (www.historicvehicle.org) I went along on the 2012 Hemmings Motor News Great Race. The 2300 mile race began in Traverse City, Michigan and wound its way North and then East through Ontario, back down into the States in New York, through Pennsylvania, Ohio and concluded in Dearborn, MI at the Henry Ford Museum!

We began the race in a 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 that was aptly named "Miss Adventure." The car was obviously a V8 but had the very rare option of being backed by a three speed manual transmission. As cool as this was it would lead to our eventual exit as many problems existed within the shift mechanism in the column.

Living up to its name, we didn't make it too far into the race before its continued mechanical problems put us out of the race.<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:pDespite this, we continued following along on the race in our Promo vehicle, photographing the event and doing video's for our This Car Matters movement.

Check out these pictures I took and if you would like to see more, head on over to our Facebook page!
    https://www.facebook.com/HistoricVehicleAssociation

If you would like to read more about our trials and tribulations as rookie competitors in this 2300 mile journey check out our race blog at:
    Historic Vehicle Association

Thanks everybody!

Casey Maxon

Attached Files:

2. Yep!

You guys went right past my house, parked your truck at the end of my street, got in the back and took pictures. I saw probably 50 cars go by and got pics of most of them. Unfortunately I don't do facebook so I can't see your pictures.

Really cool!

Something I'm sure I'll never see again.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I ran in the Great Race twice on a vocational school team, and it's something I'd really like to do again. Great experience.