Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2011 MELTDOWN DRAGS -VINTAGE DRAG MEET- July 23-Byron, IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Lild

Lild

For those who missed the 2nd band. You actualy didnt. They backed out because they saw rain coming on the radar. A good friend of mine is a roadie for them

2. The first band stayed all night. The one night standards actually played until 1:00? or so. Good times!

3. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

5. Lild

Lild

Thats awesome. We enjoyed listening to them

6. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

Holy crap !!!!
    Awesome.. Makes drag racing fun again.. I won't ever miss this one..awesome job guys,and gals !!

7. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I heard my friend made it up there with his glass bodied Thames. Any pictures?

8. SLCK64

SLCK64

9. bgas56

bgas56

Thank you to all of the racers and spectators.Can you believe it has already come and gone? Not to fear as the dates for 2012 are already posted! Again thank you for all of your support of The Meltdown Drags!!

10. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

Hey Torkwrech, I found a video on utube of your 55 and the Handgrenade going at it. Pretty cool. Look up Meltdown Drags and it is by Kruzin USA. I think it is the one that is 3:48 long. Thanks to everyone for all the cool video and pictures. There was so much happening it would be impossible to remember without them.

11. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Had a great time, made 11 passes and Eric I kept my promise to keep it 13 seconds or slower since my rollbar wasnt done. And even though I had to drive 60 miles in the rain in a roadster, I will absolutely be back!

12. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

ok - ok
    it is video from 2010
    BUT there are still some cool cats that were at BOTH years - so check it out - YOU just may be on the video....
    if not - it is cool to see some of these cars making passes

13. barbara

barbara
    from wisconsin

What a great event, and a great group of racers. I lost the belt on my blower at half track on my 2nd pass...coasted to the end. Every driver that came through offered to help & asked if I needed a tow back to the pits...hell, Mike Bilina (green '56) even offered to tow me back with his '56! We had a great time...thanks Eric, Ryan, Paul, and all the guys that put this on, you guys covered all the bases.
    Doug

14. 62Furious

62Furious

thanks for the invite I too wil be back next year, I had a blast

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

There was a cool thames racing with kidney bean wheels up front. Kind of a salmon color. Same car?

16. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I'm going to post this in case there was any confusion.

SO everybody knows... we actually didn't have a closed track this year. Byron Dragway wanted to see the event one more year before it was confident in fully backing it in a closed event.

I didn't want people to know about test and tune because I didn't want non meltdown cars to even be there.

THE LATE MODEL MUSTANG that showed up later in the day was for test and tune and that was one of the fears that our club had with not having a closed track. That was not our decision and we didn't want the car racing either.

2012 WILL BE A CLOSED TRACK! MELTDOWN ONLY!!!!

17. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

And FYI....the Fugitives are the Organizers, participants, and guys who put it on. We DO NOT get a dime from the entry fee's that are paid....we are a NON-Profit organization and this event came to be simply because the Meltdown and HCHU are the kind of events we LOVE to participate in....

THANK YOU to all the guys that bought t-shirts and posters, the little $$ that we make on those items go to paying for the web site, post cards, advertsing in magazines, flyers, decals, watere slides, etc to make the event happen.

SO THANK YOU for the support it ensures the future is solid for the MD.

And don't forget to let people know PERIOD wheels, or a repro of a period wheel ONLY for 2012.

Looking at those pics of the staging lanes makes the hassle we got from one Jackhole all over his pro star wheels all worth it......THANK YOU GUYS!!!

Meltdown = VINTAGE RACING......NOT NOSTALGIC racing...

18. hrbhrb

hrbhrb
    from Polo,IL

I agree wholeheartedly regarding the multitude of videos and pictures. As a participant, it is impossible to see every run and every car. I am even more impressed after seeing all the pics and videos. Thanks again to all.
    Bob

19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Another great shot...Brian u the man!!!

user114588_pic311999_1311629097.jpg

20. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

That's flathead Denny runnin against him. By far the fastest and one of the few Flatheat Fords of the day. What a great shot.

21. Hambgrenade

Hambgrenade
    from Byron Ill

Sorry my bad, after a closer look that is not the Flathead. It was worth saying anyway about his blown dragster. I tried to get him to run his Blown flathead 31 coupe but he would do it. We need to work on him for next year cause it looks great going down the track.

22. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

That is Skinny Mike's...Honorary Fugitive Associate!

I do love Denny's Dragster though.....only blown flattie on site!

23. My new favorite shot.

[​IMG]

24. The clean hippie:

[​IMG]

25. Bitten by the go fast bug:

[​IMG]

26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Rich.....Found it. Here's a link, in case it hasn't been posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msSpUAOflDk Excellent video. Just listening to the sound is cool.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  27. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I had a great time, and the track photographer got one of my coupe with daylight under the front... which I thought was pretty cool. (since it's just a 289 in a street car that I drive to work) Going to buy that one I suppose, it'll look neat on the wall.

Inlaw, I looked for you a little as Von Hartmann wanted us to line up, but didn't see you. I think you'd have probably smoked me, but it would have been fun to run'em anyway.

28. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

2012....Kamp Vs Inlaw.....