Register now to get rid of these ads!

2011 ambr winner !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalvillan, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

No head lights ? , not finished.

2. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I was ther and I agree with the Judges,they finally got it rite.

3. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Nice ride....not too much bling! Low key display..

4. I did not get the chance to be there this year to spectate but I have seen the car been build a few times I had stop at there shop a few miles from my home. This shop has build some of the best cars seen in Arizona they are a class act shop in my book. And the best is they are bringing one in Arizona. Way to go guys!!!!!!

Frenchy

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Reminds me why I prefer Kustoms.Looks like just a generic street rod to me.
    Paul

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. R Pope

R Pope

"Not finished...."! Never heard of hideaway headlights? Or plug-in ones stored in the trunk in the daytime?
    That car would have looked right at home in the early AMBR shows. Might not have won, though!

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Good point!

Looking at the show the last two years has me wondering whether the financial crisis or the 'situation' in your country is contributing to most of the 'Big Name' builders to stay away. Many International Auto shows in recent times proves this.

8. dt50chev

dt50chev

This car has probably never been "driven" at all.

9. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I realize this thing isn't our kind of car, but it was well built and actually looks like it could be driven. That's more than can be said for many previous AMBR winners.

10. Bingo!

11. Well, I'm with Ryan - Thats a cool roadster - Big deal.. Lots of people really love that stuff like I love really correct traditional stuff... and my take is this;
    I can't wait for Autorama.... Everything about it what I like - what I don't like... and the Basement... Where I will spend my time as a part of the Singlefinger Crew.
    See ya'all there !!

12. Ditto. ^^^

13. Dar73

Dar73

Not my style.. to Boyd'ish for me. Although neither car was entered into the AMBR, Troy's (Hollywood Hot Rods) Bugatti inspired roadster or Alan Johnsons (Johnsons Hot Rod Shop) Black 32 were stand outs to me. Those are the type of cars I would like to see competing.

14. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Had the pleasure of touring Squeeg's shop last November - now I know what good paint means!

Is any AMBR a hot-rodders ideal? Has anyone ever seen or bought or owned a car that didn't need something changed?

Personally, I'd prefer something to carve up a windy road . . . .

"My thoughts... It's a gorgeous car. Meaning, if I was 8 years old and had no pre-conceived notions, I would totally dig that thing. Seriously. And the craftsmanship? Over the top good.

The AMBR award isn't relevant to me as a traditional guy. I don't think it's supposed to be. And there is nothing wrong with that. "

15. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I think it is refreshing that they didn't pick an over the top circus wagon like usual.

16. 65COMET

65COMET

I like it because it actually looks like a car you could drive! Not one of those giant wheeled swoopy things that I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like!! I was there Friday and a lot of the cars seem to be going the more traditional route.There were many cars I had to say WTF,but had to admit the details were awesome! ROY.

17. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

18. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I already spoke with him, but here's a public attaboy for Doug and the gang at Squeeg's Kustoms. The Dad, Squeeg, hisself and various crews have been turning out incredible work since 1964. They've been in the valley since the 70's and have been involved with so many incredible cars, trucks, boats and planes (a few helis too), it would make your head swim. Always meticulous irregardless of the quantity. Congratulations Doug and Squeeg and everyone at the shop! This car was built by two families with a long mutual history.
    The reaction here, honestly, is way better than I thought it would be. The HAMB always amazes.

Traditional hot rods?
    Some of the younger guys need to understand something....
    The passion* that we all share for these old cars can be bonding as well as extremely divisive. Everyone has their opinions on what is right or wrong with any given car. Many younger guys are incredibly well versed on early hot rod history. Bitchin'! It's great to know new generations will perpetuate hot rod sickness for years to come. But traditions are still being forged. Older galoots that have been there and are still building or tinkering have progressed through the decades. I'm talking about folks staying true to the hot rod credo here, but they are not as obsessive about era correctness. More to the point, these older guys build cars that occupy their minds, keep their hands moving and feed their souls.
    That's why I get a little bent when I hear a young guy basically dismiss the efforts of others that built cars that were actually big deals "back in the day". I mean, tell me, what is more "REAL DEAL", someone who scours the swap meets and classifieds and networks for that just right part including the time it takes to lovingly restore said piece, or the guy who brainstorms, sketches and actually hand fabricates his own hot rod part? You guys want to say you can't appreciate both equally?!

Anyway, HAMB'rs, that's my over inflated, gassy, post GNRS editorial for 2011. So from this MIDDLE aged hot rod freak to you all, keep building and enjoying and again....
    CONGRATS Doug, you little Fugger!!

*overused word of the new millenium

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Very well thought out and written Jeem. I agree with you 100%.

20. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

It looks like Doug jerger took the KISS method to a new level and won the whole shebang ! congratulations !! Perhaps the WMBR is getting back to it's roots ?

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car is bad ass... some people here are just weird.

while surely not "traditional'' , it is definitly "timeless". it will never become outdated. something not often seen in the past AMBR winners.

22. rick finch

rick finch

Well said Jeems.....:)

23. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Well, this is the first year I've ever seen a half-dozen contenders for the AMBR that I'd want to own, and even though my heart is with the Takeout T, this year's winner is a huge step above the "chrome-rotored, tourettes-styled nightmares" of the years past. This is subtle and clean, and crafted with respect, it is a real hot rod.

Thank God for the judging changes. Tradition is being recognized for what it is, classic.

Congrats to the winner! In the future, this one deserves to be a classic, too.

24. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Interesting reaction by some. That car is, ~in concept~, very traditional. A black roadster with Halibrand wheels is about as traditional as it gets.

25. 61falcon

61falcon

nice car, congrats to the winner.

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Only because no one has yet to take a serious run at it with a "traditional" car. Russ cracked open the door a little with their light-hearted ALL FUN entry that they themselves were talking about how little out of pocket they spent and EVERYTHING was done at home by friends having an excellent time. Dollar per Pound they by no question had the MOST fun there, but as far as a truly BEAUTIFUL "traditional" roadster in the sense of a Doane Spencer styled car- that's actually built with PERIOD parts (not obviously modern production pieces) it has yet to be done- and it easily could! Saw some of these Muscle Cars at the show that easily have 3 or 4 times MORE spent on them than what a respectable "traditional" roadter with a shot at the AMBR would cost to build and it BOGGLES MY MIND! These Muscle Cars aren't down for any big awards or will they go down in history as truly memorable- but that's what apparently has the money spending populations attention right now more than the 60-plus year old idea of "America's Most Beuatiful Roadster".
    And in context, remember a "Roadster" is what REAL hot rodder's of the '40s and '50s aspired to - as a "hot rod" was not a liked term necessarily in the community. Just a slight bit of symantix- but still very important to remember.
    After this weekend I'm TEARING at the bit WISHING I had the money to build a car for next year's competition as I feel I could build a "traditional" car with a balance of style, ingenuity and historical respect that would have a real shot. But like is so often the case I will have to wait until I'm 64, not 44. And on that thought- Does this competition have 10 more years of relivence? Time will tell.

27. Killer

Killer

what Jeem said.

28. firingorder1

firingorder1

Jeez what a whiney bunch! '34 roadster, right stance, right wheels, done right, wins and everyone bitches. Or maybe I should have written "Eh! I coulda built that". Congrats on the win!! Screw the begrudgers.

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Well, it's alot nicer than anything I can build. If I can't build something more worthy of that trophy I have no business knocking it, even though it's not exactly what I would dream of building. I can definitely appreciate and respect the work that went into it. Congrats.

30. GreggAz

GreggAz

One thing that needs to be mentioned, is that this is not a "brand new" car. By my understanding, it is a recent refresh, and this car will be used.

Well said Jeem, and Ryan