Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2009 Speed Week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 8, 2009.

1. brady1929

brady1929

great pics, thanks

2. AF/X

AF/X

looks like a great time, thanks for taking the time to post all the pictures. it's great for all of us who didn't go, we appreciate it!!!

3. mow too much

mow too much

Those are some great pictures. Thanks, Bruce

4. Michael_e

Michael_e

Does anyone know who owns this Scenicrusier?? Or how to get ahold of them? Are they a HAMBer??

Attached Files:

5. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

me too. any more pics of this car?

6. Scott K

Scott K

No, the salt surface does not regenerate itself, at least not fast enough to overcome the man-made damage. There has been a potash mining operation going on for years that, as a part of the mining process, removes salt making the thickness of the salt cruse thinner with each passing year. There's a campaign to pump the leftover salt back onto the flats in the form of brine and it has helped reverse the mining effects, but it will never be what it once was. More info here http://www.saltflats.com/save the salt.html

Thicker = better. Thicker = longer course = faster (400mph cars) can run. As it is now, I don't think that there is enough room for the fastest cars to slow down.
    I'm certainly no expert here, but I overheard one Bonneville vetran say that the best conditions are for the ground water level to be only an inch or so below the surface of the salt. His reasoning was that a certain level of moisture was needed for best traction.....don't know, could be total B.S.

7. Scott K

Scott K

...and thanks Squirrel for the picts, good stuff.

8. zippeay

zippeay
    from Hooper, Ut

I saw that bus too. That thing is cool as hell!