Register now to get rid of these ads!

$20000 Hackjob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnnykck, Dec 17, 2008.

1. CalrewireMatt

CalrewireMatt

to the guys credit that looks like a trans crossmember out of possibly a chevelle. They are fat tubbed like that with the double humps and flattened edges. Still nasty workmanship if you wanna call it that. Was this bought off of ebay?

2. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

god damn mike, you have done an amazing job, considering what wayne at mhp left you to deal with..i was there when he started hacking on the truck, and knew damn good and well, that he could never pull it off, he was, is and always will be a hack, its a shame craig couldn't have seen that earlier. Nick

3. Tweekin' on methyl-ethyl-bad-stuff comes to mind upon seeing this. Anymore news on the fix of the $20,000 hackjob? Could careless about the O/T truck. Pics?-Weeks

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

To say nothing of the tierod shank welded into the cutoff wishbone up front, not adjustment there.
    AND that beauty out back with the big bolt used as a spacer in the hacked radius rod and then the tire rod end welded into it too!

That destroyed X-member is something else too.

But the car looks like its been around a long time and who knows how many miles got put on that shit box chassis.
    Well, angels are said to ride with fools so it must be a really holy car.

5. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

+1!!

6. 69fury

69fury

never seen anyone run the exhaust OVER a double hump crossmember. I'm glad it's in good hands now. I feel SO much better about my fabricating skills, now. ( and i'm using an arc welder)

7. bonesy

bonesy

Wow - harsh crowd. The poor guy got taken for $20k, and 50 people have to call him not car worthy.

I'm glad I've never made a mistake.

8. i got screwed by a professional shop here in cleveland (not lobecks) lucky i knd got the car out before he finished the f/u this idiot puts a tremec 5 speed behind a 351w with out the throwout bearing cause he did not understand hydraulic throw out and how to hook it to slave cylinder, my car is a 37 ford and i had enough after he puts the fuel filter on top of the gas tank cause his lift was broke and he did not want to get dirty by lying on the ground to put the filter on the side of the frame were it can be serviced. this was cool with my project before i brought it in and then he bitched about all stupid stuff i wanted to do. all the patch panels had to be redone, actually all he work had to be redone. took a 37 ford running barn find got back 2 trailer loads of parts, all he could do was take the car apart charged me $12,000 feel lucky after reading the first post

9. and South Dakota is full of fucking Einstein car builders? Yes there are a couple of folks out here who know there shit, Im sure just as many in shitty little SoDak as there are in Wyo. If I knew who built that car I would personally kick 'em in the ass for ya and once more making Wyoming look bad. But don't let one bad apple give this whole State a bad rep. Thanks alot Tman...:D

10. No self respecting traditional rodder would be caught dead building that type of cobbled mess. That car is gives streetrods a bad name...ha ha! Hope the body does not look like the firewall and undercarriage beneath the paint. What a shame; sorry to hear about the misfortune.

11. So how much should the car have actually sold for had the condition of the frame been presented up front? Maybe the same price less the cost of someone's repro frame fresh from the 1-800-hot-rod ads in the magazines?

12. fenian65

fenian65

hope your buddy learned a lesson..........as for the seller he needs a serious boot party

13. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

Damn! almost makes me sad to be from Wyoming. No inspections, no emissions, that's what you get sometimes. I do enjoy being able to have my glasspacks and straight pipes, though. One good thing, is no salt on the roads here. If that's an original Wyoming car, he shouldn't have to much rust when he strips the paint off.

14. johnnykck

johnnykck

We actually took a closer look at the body the other day and it seems to be in great condition. No rust, no bondo, no dents, I was very surprised to see how nice the body is. Even the usual places where you always find rust are clean and rust free. At least it looks like we have a nice body to work with.

15. Well thats an upside that the body is in great shape. It just sucks that it had all the other issues. Im sure yall will get it to the level it belongs.

16. zombiemandan

zombiemandan
    from Wyoming

If that's an original Wyoming car, he shouldn't have to much rust when he strips the paint off.

We actually took a closer look at the body the other day and it seems to be in great condition. No rust, no bondo, no dents, I was very surprised to see how nice the body is. Even the usual places where you always find rust are clean and rust free. At least it looks like we have a nice body to work with.

Well now I have something to be proud of. No rust! :)<!-- / message -->

17. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

You know as messed up as it may be I actually like threads like this, because although I am a amateur It reaffirms that I don't totally suck at stuff.

18. What a shame! I've seem some stuff like this but not for many many years. I would always tell people who ask my opinion to ask to look at a build sheet along with a good inspection of the car itself. I have every part listed and what its from. My best advice is to take legal action IF you can, if not then start it as a fresh build. Strip it and do it right, You have an expensive start but that does'nt mean you cant make it right. I agree with alot of the other guys here and trash the frame. He has a good friend in you, help him out!!!

19. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Yes, a professional thief. Ok the horse is now dead. Let's move on.

20. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Come again??? Oh, I get it. It's irony. You're making a joke! HAHAHA That's a good one! Powdercoating sure wouldn't hide that torched x-frame.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  21. Jettback50

Jettback50

I used go go all over the country and look at cars like that before E Bay and emails. Some guys lied. More didn't know what they had and didn't bother to look even if you asked. Telephone calls, pictures in the mail. Wrong side, middle of the night, 8 miles away.

I know the guy who built that car. He's the guy at the show who pisses on you when you try to say something nice about his ride. He's always the expert at the bench racing sessions. If you have one, he's had three and they were all better. He has some shadetree work on his car and tells the guy what to do, eventhough he doesn't know shit.

Yeah, I know that guy.

22. Yeah, I thought the craftsmanship looked pretty decent myself. As far as your comments about good ole Wyo, I gotta agree for the most part. But, seriously, what does South Dakota got going for it? Sturgis? Mount Rushmore? Sodomy? If you added a few more miles to the end of Wyoming, well, then you would just be left with sodomy. Oh well, better than nothin'.

23. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

sick burn!...south dakota is totally gay! as for the craftmanship displayed on that "rod"..we cant all be vagabonds

24. 41Plymouth4dr

41Plymouth4dr
    from Tioga, PA

Well by what I can see without seeing the underside, I probably wouldn't have given more then $10,000-$12,000

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

so true... :D

26. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

Someone building shit like that ends up killing people. shitty design and execution. just plain sucks!!!!!!!!