Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 200 with a C4 in a 1961 Comet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Notar61, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Notar61

Notar61

Still trying to get an old 1961 Comet road worthy.

I have what I thought was a 200 straight six out of a 1964 Falcon, but it's actually a big bell Ford 200 out of a 1980 or 1981 Ford Fairmont. The block casting is E1BE-6015-BB.

Still need to find a C4 to go along with the engine. What kind of C4 do I need to be searching for? Also is there a special torque converter or flexplate I need for this specific engine/tranny combo?

Also what kind of stuff do I need to be thinking about when do this new conversion to the big bell 200/C4 combo? I need any and all info so I don't overlook something. I really need to get this thing back on the road.

Off the top of my head these issues come to mind:

-I'm going to have to cut the driveshaft

-I'll need some kind of rear crossmember support for the C4 (I think there's places that make these, so I can buy online)

-I'm probably going to need a different pedal/throttle linkage assembly

-I'll maybe need some kind of different approach to the shift linkage (I want to keep this car a column shifter)

-Will I have to hammer the hell out of the transmission tunnel to make the C4 fit?

Hopefully this isn't too many questions at once! But I'm hoping to activate hive mind so I can get all the info I can get. Thanks so much!!!
    -Andrew

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

Your 200 should have both bolt patterns drilled in the back of the block, for big or small bell C4's. You have to move the locator dowels. The ring gear is part of the torque converter and the flexplate is not much more than a steel cloverleaf. Find the small bell C4 and you're almost done. The shifter should hook up okay but you may find the range out of adjustment, as the original was a 2spd. You can swap out the detent plate for one with proper C4 detents, though. Transmission mount and driveshaft are out of my range of experience, most of my Falcons I was able to cobble up using stock Ford parts from other years. The 200 is a great little engine and treated with respect will last forever and give you pretty decent power and mileage.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Had one in a 1960 Van with 4:11 gears and a three speed overdrive. Had all the power I needed and would crusie 75/80 all day. Hauled motor cross bikes in all over the place.

Bones

Notar61 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. chopndrop

chopndrop

Notar61 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. v8flat44

v8flat44

Notar61, you might check out cliffrodperformance.net; he's got 6 cyl hop up stuff etc. I had a 200 in a 65 Mustang & in a 78 Fairmont & they were GR8 little motors. Good luck & have fun! m

Notar61 likes this.
  6. Notar61

Notar61

So much great info. Thank you so much! First step is hunting down a C4. Hopefully I can get this thing running!

7. Notar61

Notar61

Hey again!

I'm tracking down a C4 currently, but I keep seeing a difference in the torque converter sizes. Some had 10 1/4" converters and others had 12" converters. Anyone know what the difference is? Would both work for my application or do I need a C4 that uses a specific sized torque converter?

Thanks!

-Andrew

8. Notar61

Notar61

Any info on those torque converter sizes?