Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 200 mph 40 ford sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It'll be tough to push that garage door of a body style 200 MPH. Aero means a lot above 150

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Wasn't there a race bike rider who proved that almost any noticeable improvemnt in aerodynamics is the cheapest 5 horse power you ever get, only over shadowed by the reduction in weight, that most bikes don't need.

But other then that I like the to see an old car doing a good job out side the HAMB ranks!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

200 MPH is pretty fast. It took me a long time to get there. It's a lot easier doing it on a bar stool than on the salt.

1956 F100 and Finn Jensen like this.
  4. I hit 157 on West Dodge Rd in 1979.......Before the hill.........LOL

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This is what it takes to keep a coupe on the salt at speed,, I think it did 200.. 200 mph coupe.jpg

6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Unfortunately we wasn't able to get to 200 on that run but it did run 190 on the short course with a blown head gasket and a crack in the exhaust runner we did qualify for the long course and haven't been able to run at bonneville since Without the belly pan and front end aero parts the car does get a bit loose at 175 we think that it's because the air is lifting the tail as it runs under the car Withe car as it is in this pic and on the long course 200 is attainable

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

The tail is the problem with most all 40's coupes and sedans. The truck is a wing and with speed you get airplane (lift). In the rule books you will find a number of records that have seemed to hit the wall, in the classes with stock bodies. It is hard to get past the aero beyond 145 - 165.
    In XO PRO, stock inline 6 in production Coupe and Sedan, the record is 139 since 2000. And I think there was a huge lift problem when they ran.

8. Update: Phil and Joe took the car to the Ohio mile last year for a shake-down run before going to B'ville. Phil said they didn't check the arm restraints before they ran and when he went for a gear change at a little over 50 MPH, the restraints kept him from getting the trans fully in gear...over wound the hemi and bent a buncha valves. DOH! Rookie mistake they won't make again. The motor has been swapped for a bigger hemi but I'm not sure of their plans for Bonneville this year.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. verde742

verde742

LEAVE THE TRUNK LID UN-LATCHED, AND LET IT RAISE AS THE SPEED INCREASES..

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Shown here at the Carlbad drags this 40 went 152.9 at El Mirage and the rear lifted.... Never ran on fuel again and kept it in the low 140's. Now retired in my sons back yard.

11. verde742

verde742

Did the '40 Chev ever have a Cadillac engine, and might have been owned by a guy from my home town? His last name was HUDSON?

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was built at Don Blairs Speed Shop in Pasadena for Noel Melovich in the 60's. Noel had already installed a 283 in 1958. The firewall and all interior paneling are aluminum. Only the windshield is glass all the rest was dark tinted plexi. It had a tube straight axle, Corvair steering, roll bar, and lift off hood. It was also black. At Blairs a 409 was installed along with a Pontiac rear with 4.88 gears. Noel flat towed it to various So Cal drag strips where it ran as a gasser. They retained the original dash with 4 gauges where the speedo was. I had a tach dead center on the dash at the windo split.
    I bought it in 1974 for $500 from Noel with no engine or trans, lowered the front, put in a 302 GMC6 and went lakes and Bonneville racing and set many records. Lil John Harvey painted it white because it was too hot to push up in line at Bonneville and El Mirage in 1981. I also drag raced it at OCIR, Irwindale, Fremont, and Palmdale always dialing 13.10 even thou it could run quicker. Ready to race it weighs 2910#.
    It's no longer legal for the SCTA and never will again but could easily go back to vintage drags. It does not have any front brakes. Because of running on Bonneville for many many years it does have some salt damage but is repairable.

Finn Jensen likes this.
  13. verde742

verde742

Sure good looking !!!

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Speaking of land speed, few did good at the May opener at El Mirage.
    The surface tore apart early and though tachs showed great speed, the timing tower showed different, (slippage).
    But the weather was great and the weekend was a blast.
    We go again on June 11th!

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Terrible day for us Tony. I moved around on the course but the engine tuner was the problem with my run and not the track. We will be at SDRC Patrol station 6 on the return road side all day in June. Good luck with your AIR roadster. JD

16. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Don't forget about Gang Green. Another early fastback body that went around 175 last year. Lots of areo work to make it happen.

upload_2017-5-30_10-56-32.png

And thanks for remembering us. Our XO/PRO car ('50 Chevy Fastback) was a bear to drive and would spin the tires at 130+. The answer was lots of lead weight and front end caster because no areo tricks are allowed in the production classes.

Attached Files: