Register now to get rid of these ads!

20.000 Classic Cars Wasting Away In RI Junkyard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SaveOldCars, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Really? How does a poor buisnessman amass 20,000 cars. He could call in the chrusher and have 4 million dollars or more. If he had crushed them before when scrap was cheap he would have recieved a pittance. It all depends on how you look at something.:cool: OldWolf

2. SaveOldCars

SaveOldCars
    from Germany

Thanks for pointing that out Chuck, I was wondering if this really is the same yard. Thanks again, I'll let people know about that immediately!

3. butti

butti

I live in florida now but i grew up just a few miles from Harry Halls place. I remember walking around in there with my dad when i was a kid.

My dad bought a classic pickup from him about 16 yrs agou and used as his daily until two yrs ago.

thanks for bringing back some great memories!

4. 88 gtu

88 gtu

I know where i'm going this week!

5. In the early '80s my buddy tells me he was buying more or less complete cars for $10-$15 from a now long gone junkyard. Around 2003 it was like $70 a ton, so a car might bring $125. Now it's four times that, I junked a well-stripped Imperial a while back and it brought nearly $500 - and would have brought more if I'd junked it here in town, all summer it's been just over $300 a ton. Metal is a commodity, whether it's gold bars or junk cars, and when the economy is crap, the price goes up. You do a lot better than the interest rate on a savings account. At an average price of say $500 each for 20,000 cars that's $10,000,000 right now. For stuff that was probably often given away to him free 20, 30, 40 years ago. Sounds like damned good business to me.