Register now to get rid of these ads!

2" wide lowering blocks - who makes them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteor, Aug 1, 2007.

1. meteor

meteor

I've got 2" wide springs on my 57 ford ranch wagon...and I'm looking for a 3" inch kit.

I can only find 2.5" or 3" WIDE blocks, anybody know who makes a 2" block?

thanks

2. Pretty hard to find. A lot of kits were made in the 60-70s using steel blocks, specific to certain types of cars. You might want to keep an eye out on ebay. I found an entire lowering kit (blocks and u-bolts) for my 60 Comet. Only cost about 25.00.

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

nightprowlers iirc, also blocks for the 49-54 chevys should work. they have narrow springs.

4. olderone

olderone

You can make them your self .
    go to your local metal shop and buy your self rectangular steel tubing type metal with at least 1/4 to 3/8 " thick wall. Cut them to your Leigh drill the bottom centering whole get a small piece of steal rod drill the whole in the top of the block and get some to weld in into place. I built mine and there still in there 7 years now.
    Hope this will help you out.

Pewsplace likes this.

5. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Yeah, what he said. If your not a welder, get an allen head bolt and drill and tap the block for it. The round head becomes your centering pin.

6. meteor

meteor

okay, dumb question - if you're using rectangular steel tubing then the material is sideways right, to accommodate a pin? isn't it stronger to run the tubing vertical, does it matter? thx

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I think I understand the question, and no, it doesn't matter. If it bothers you, make some out of solid steel. My father-in-law likes to over engineer stuff. His '40 pickup broke, and spit out the cast aluminum blocks at the dragstrip, so he built some out of solid steel.
    Just drill a locating hole on one side and thread in a location bolt on the other.

8. Yeah, just build them. If you do not want solid blocks, get tubing and weld plates over the ends to make an enclosed box. I made my own and ran them for years on my old 37 Chevy truck.

9. budd

budd

i have solid steel blocks, i drilled the hole for the center bolt and just droped in a pin, grade 8 bolt, into the hole the same length as the block is tall, when i droped the block with the pin in it ontop of the center bolt the center bolt then pushed the pin up, been there for 3 years now and nothing has moved.

10. I got mine for my Chevy from Chev's of the 40's. Not cheap but they do have 2 inch wide 3 inch lowering blocks.

www.chevsofthe40s.com

11. meteor

meteor

Thanks for all the info. I'll just make some...

Do the blocks have to be a specific length? I thought I read 5" in one of the catalogues, but now I can't find it.

Thanks

12. 39 Ford

39 Ford

5" long should work, you can also "offset "the holes to center your wheels if necessary.

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I mady mine out of heavy wall rectangular tubing. Drilled a hole in one side for the spring bolt to set in, drilled a 3/8 hole in the other side and put an allen bolt and nut. Put the nut on the inside so the allen bolt sticks out and sets in the spring pad on the axle.

14. solo_909

solo_909

15. Sprout

Sprout

16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is exactly as Ive been doing them for years...works great never any issues, no welding...just cut your block to size and drill a hole in the center all the way through , drop an appropriate side piece of rod into the hole and the pin will protrude the appropriate amount...