Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 VS 4 Core Walker Radiator / 283?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedsled, Jul 2, 2010.

1. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I'm about to bite the bullet and order up a new radiator for my 34 p.u. project. Here's the low-down....

Mild 1958 283, 10-1 compression, L79 cam, 3 Holly 94's, lake headers with manual trans. Sometimes run a hood, sometimes not, driven up in WA state. But planning on some long highway trips next year.

I don't want to debate aluminum options, just if a 2 core would be enough, or should I go the 4 core option. Oh, and no I won't be running a fan shroud, I'm trying to keep the early look....:D

Thanks.

2. i think in radiators in hot rods that bigger is better. in my `36 i have a mild 283 and use the Walker Z-line and it NEVER gets over 185 degrees, even idling in traffic on a hot day. i have a mechanical fan on the water pump and an electric spal pusher up front , but never use the spal. when i filled the cooling system it took around 4-1/2 gallons to fill it. i'm very happy to know i have excess cooling capacity

however , i have a friend with two `36's.... both with stock 305 chevies and the standard Walker......has no cooling problems either. i recall when he filled the cooling systems it took just a bit over 3 gallons

so you may be fine with the thinner one , but why not for a few bucks get the bigger one

3. zzford

zzford

Get the biggest and best radiator that you can afford. It's the best investment that you can make in a hot rod.

4. CruZer

CruZer

Ditto. You can't have too much cooling capabilities.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have room and it isn't a budget breaker I'd go with the bigger one. Good insurance and one less thing to worry about. It may sound like overkill now but when you are out cruising in the car or headed across the state to an event in a year or two keeping the engine cool enough will be the last of your worries at the time.

6. Are you using a mechanical (engine driven) fan? What does your fan setup look like and how far from the radiator will it be.

I'd suggest getting the 4-Row... that way you can add more heat (power) later without any worries or regrets.

Lastly... I always suggest a shroud... but the 4-R will probably let you get away with it.

Love,
    Radiator Guy

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

In 1988, I bought a 4 core Z series Walker radiator for my 1932 Ford. I had a 350 horsepower 350 SBC in the roadster at that time. I ran it for years ( here in the HOT, HUMID South ... where 100 plus is common in the Summer :) ) without any problems at all.

I added some more horsepower a few years ago ( 430 HORSEPOWER from a 350 SBC ) and I did add a shroud. The new, tight engine wanted to run 195/200 on a 100+ day. Mind you this was with a 20 year old Walker 4 core radiator. I bought and installed the Walker shroud and now the radiator still cools the 32 ... with no problems.

[​IMG]

I suggest going ahead and buying the 4 core Walker and their shroud. Their shrouds do not distract or hurt the looks IMHO. Their help and the benefits vastly out weigh any concerns over looks ... IMHO.

I like this setup so well that when I started a new 32 Ford 3W coupe project, I bought a Walker Z series 4 core radiator and the Walker shroud for it.

[​IMG]

Works great and both of my 32's run right on the thermostat ... even in the hottest, most humid Southern weather.

:D

8. KScooter

KScooter
    from California

Looks like I'm going to be in the minority. It's not so much the number of cores, as the width of each tube within the core. With a 4-row core, you're reaching the point of diminishing returns because the thick core itself restricts airflow.<br /><br />

Talk to the techs at the radiator company, and they will tell you that a 2-row core with one inch tubes is more efficient than a 4-row core with 1/2 inch tubes. <br /><br />