Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 2 speed Fordomatic tow capacity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old2New, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Old2New

Old2New

Does anyone know what the towing capacity of a 2 speed Fordomatic tranny is. Its the aluminum case true 2 speed, no low gear, just first and second. Thanks guys

2. Old2New

Old2New

3. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

I have a Ford C4 and it is supposed to be stronger than the 2 speeds. I can tow a ton with mine easily. Stopping is a different question with all drums.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what is it in? what are you planning to tow?

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Keeping the fluid temp down will go a long ways to making your tow successful.

6. Old2New

Old2New

Im asking what the transmission is capable of towing. You dont need to know what the engine is or what vehicle it is in, and You don't need to be a smart a** with your responce. A transmission has a max pull weight, thats all I want to know.

7. Old2New

Old2New

This reply would have been "good enough" thanks

8. Old2New

Old2New

Thanks.

9. Old2New

Old2New

It has a small radiator hooked up to the transmission, is this what you are talking about?

10. You're pretty touchy for someone who just received three posts worth of knowledge and advice... Didn't see a "thank you" to any of his input or suggestions either.
    If you want just the facts with no human input, buy a service manual. :eek:

F&J, Hnstray and Texas57 like this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The transmission in a six cylinder 1961 Falcon will be different from a 1964 390 V8 Country Squire station wagon, which will be different from a pickup truck. All 3 vehicles will have different tow ratings even though they all have a Ford O Matic transmissions.

As my answers are not wanted and are no use to you I will remove them.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. finn

finn

Actually, the transmission will have a max input torque rating. I suppose that max input torque rating could be translated to a max tow rating, but you'd have to establish the gradeability requirement and gear ratio, engine torque curve , torque converter curve and cooling system design, among others.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Sense they made 4 models of the 2 speed Ford O Matic that was not a smart ass question.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

may your thread slip away like the bands in your transmission - next time use Google for answers to your questions

Baumi, F&J and Hnstray like this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It is obvious that you do not know enough to know what it is you don't know.

"There are the 'knowns', the 'known unknowns' and the 'unknown unknowns'

Ray

F&J likes this.
  16. My thoughts exactly!!

17. 1 fat chick, a small boat and a loaded cooler

Hnstray likes this.
  18. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

Im asking what the transmission is capable of towing. You dont need to know what the engine is or what vehicle it is in, and You don't need to be a smart a** with your responce. A transmission has a max pull weight, thats all I want to know. The under 30 guys have spoken

19. Old2New

Old2New

I could learn to chew the meat and spit out the bones. I just didn't understand the whole "couldn't be bothered to tell us" comment. I wasn't trying to be lazy about my post.

20. Old2New

Old2New

Thanks.

21. Old2New

Old2New

You guys are right, I don't understand enough about transmissions.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk Rusty O'Toole, sorry and thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

The engine is a 292 in a 1963 F250. Don't know the geris In second gear at 50mph its at about 2450 rpm. Im wanting to pull an 18ft travel trailer. The brakes are all stock drum.

22. check at the ford truck enthusiasts site, I would think you would be ok if all parts are in good shape

23. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're going to need the weight of the trailer, for the towing load, and the loading and tongue weight for the hitch and chassis load. The trailer should have a dry weight and a max weight. Varies with what you put in it and where. Water tank empty or full, etc. I know from experience that once the family packs everything they might need you're probably overweight.

Given you mind the limits, those 250 trucks pulled a lot of trailers and campers in their time. Trailer brakes are probably a must, with a decent controller.

Take that info to the truck site, and get an answer not a guess.

24. F&J

F&J

Anybody have dealer sales info?; Camper Special came out on Ford by mid 60s....so, "if" that same trans was offered on a Camper Special, those slide-in pickup campers were very heavy then, and lots of wind resistance.

25. I had a 1960 F150, 292 with the 3 speed up. Sold it last year (regrets). Anyways, I don't know what the actual towing capacity of it was, but after I installed a frame mount hitch, I pulled a trailer (2,000# +/- including load) numerous times without issue. I only had drum brakes all around, and once I adjusted them correctly, I didn't have any issue towing or stopping. Of course, I did drive cautiously and left plenty of space between me and the cars ahead of me. I absolutely drove defensively.

The motor should be the same as the F150, but the F250 will have upgraded shocks and struts.

26. If it's any help for point of reference, the 1960 F250 had a GVW of 7,400#.

I didn't see anything in my manual's about maximum towing capacity.

27. Old2New

Old2New

I have been debating selling but Im sure I would regret it too.It doesnt make sence to have a gvw of 7,400 lbs. and have a puny automatic behind it. Most f250s were probably manual transmissions? Thanks for sharing your experience towing with it. I forgot to mention in all of this that my emergency brake is not hooked up! Can't figure out how the heck it hooks up with the weird "arm" thing down under there. I use wheel blocks everywhere I go and it's pretty imbarassing when you try to go with one of those down there hahaha. It's a little better now that I use a real block instead of a block of firewood

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

The same trans except of bolt pattern was used behind the 292 and 352 in pass cars. The 352 had 50 to 75 more foot pounds of torque if the trans is in good shape it should take what the 292 puts out.

30. As far as automatic transmissions go, again, I can't speak specifically to 1963, but from my 1960 Ford service manual both the Ford-O-Matic and HD Cruise-O-Matic were optional transmissions for 1960. The Ford-O-Matic was available in F100 models, while the HD Cruise-O-Matic was available in F250 and up models.

I am sure this probably carried through to your 63. While most would have had 3 or 4 speed transmissions, the manual does not note a difference in GVW when an automatic transmission is installed.

Yours being an F250, are you sure you have the Ford-O-Matic transmission in it?