Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 problems : tapa tapa tapa and sputter sputter pop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Aug 23, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

when i stop accelorating at like 45 and hold it at 45 it taps really really loud but if i keep accelorating or just completely let off it stops... problem 2: when i accellorate im 2nd or third it sputters and backfires ..... so whats wrong?

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

What are you driving?

What is tapping?

3. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

its a 55 ford f100 with a 400m:rolleyes: i guess its the valve train because it sounds like a deisel when it does it...

4. Big Pete

Big Pete

Major distributor failure

5. mojo66

mojo66

where is your total timing???

6. DrJ

DrJ

Smog distributor?
    Vacuum advance probably advances too much. disconnect V-advance and plug the port just to test it.
    "smog" distributors were set up to run retarded initial timing just to pass smog and they made up for it by having sometimes 25º of vacuum advance.
    If you run "performance" initial advance you only want around 10-12º vacuum advance, like older distributors had.

Or you may have a serious carbon build up...

7. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

im thinking its like 6* before tdc... it just started the sputtering bullshit its been doing to tapping thing for a while.... its got the for electronic ignition. i just went through and cleaned both the fuel filters... i thought that was the problem but its not...

8. Don't drive it anymore until you do a compression test.

The 400-M's are somewhat famous for breaking valve springs.
    Regardless of cam in use.
    The problem I heard was that the springs had undergone an improper heat treat.

Keep going and eventually the valve will break and the head will drop into the combustion chamber with interesting results.

I had three stock valve springs let go one at a time and the problem stopped when I put a set of Crower valve springs in.
    After that, no more problems.

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i just changed the plugs caps and rotor still does it. i took it out and itll lite up the tires until 2nd then it craps out:confused:

10. Blair

Blair
    from xx

the solution is two part: start with a bang bang bang then follow up with a clicka clicka clicka

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

me or the truck? i was thinking about the same thing.....

12. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

btt rebuilt my carb and fuel pump.... still does it:mad:

13. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

Why dont you do what C9 told you? or have you already?

14. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

because my father keeps insisting that thats not what wrong and keeps having me go through and mess with what he thinks is wrong....my father is one of those people that cant be wrong.... he cant even say "i dont know" so if you ask him a question he doesnt know the answer to he acts like he didnt hear you.... i just go along with it so o dont get bitched at:eek:

15. plan9

plan9

C9 knows a thing or two about the automobile.

what makes you think its fuel or ignition related? was the carb/ign. in bad shape to begin with?

sure doesnt sound like a fuel/ign. problem if you heard serious noises from the valvetrain....

do you loose any power when all this monkey business is happening?

16. plan9

plan9

pops means well but its your ride, not his.

17. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

when its tapping it doesnt lose power but when it starts sputtering i do... im pretty sure they are seperate problems because its been tapping for well over a year.... i hate that engine and i hope it explodes.... so in all honesty i could care less if it dropped a valve into the piston.... it would prove my dad wrong and give me a good reason to build a sbf

18. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

its in his name i just drive it and fix it:rolleyes:

19. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

you should maybe just drive up here to me and leave it behind, I'd likely buy you a plane ticket home unless your partial to bus rides?:D

20. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

im to the point where if it got "overhauled" theyd be all pissed because id be stoked that it got stolen or whatever:rolleyes:

21. KoppaK

KoppaK

tapatapatapa, has it got vacuum advance if so disconnect and try, if not retard the timing a few degrees and try again if the tapatapatapa goes or decreases you've got a big end on the way out. As for the bogstumblemisspopfart, I haven't got a clue need more info. Doesn't seem to matter if theres a shell 10-4rd.

22. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

the tapping is only at a certain rpm (maintaining 45mph) the bogstumblefartpop got worse it does it when you rev it in neutral now... im gonna do a compression test tomorrow. what kind of pressure is acceptable?

23. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

24. KoppaK

KoppaK

Try it with the vacuum off/timing retarded istill sounds like a bearing to me. If you rev it up stationary then let the throttle right back so it just holds the revs up do you get it then?

25. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

when i unhook the advance it sputters out at anything more than idle... the only time it taps is when its moving

26. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

27. DrJ

DrJ

U joints?

28. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

no its definently the motor... like ive said its only at a certain rpm ( maintaining a speed) then if you let off or keep accelorating it stops.... its floating something in the vavletrain....

29. 215slowpoke

215slowpoke

"its floating something in the vavletrain...."

Sounds like you already know what it is, soo why dont you pull the valve cover off and have a look see?
    Thats a hell of alot easier than all the other stuff your doing.

30. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

the other stuff was to fix the starvation issue... i was told that the tapping was normal for this engine....