Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 lane blacktop.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'chevy, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I just watched the movie for the first time and......well....WTF???? I get the cars and the street racing, but story? Dialog? Plot? DAMN.

O.k, they are driving across the country racing for gas money. They don't talk, other than to "Check the jets and the valves".

Whats up with the girl getting into what ever car she wants to and no one has a problem with it.

GTO is a pathological liar.

They are racing to DC for pinks, yet hang out with each other at every opportunity. Neither seems too concerned about actually going to DC, even plan to go to Cleveland instead. If I were racing for my car, you better get the hell out of my way!

The film "burns" in the middle of a "climactic" race, that isn't really that important, ending the film......

I love car movies, I know they don't always have award winning plots and dialog, but this one???? Am I missing something? Can anyone explain it to me?

2. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

When you figure it out let me know.

3. Larry T

Larry T

You watched the whole thing? I'm impressed!
    Larry T

4. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

maybe you would enjoy the Justin Bieber Christmas Special better?

5. Tony

Tony

Not much to explain really. Goofy movie with a kick ass 55, a strange plot and stupid ending.
    I've watched it many time's though, and have no real explanation why aside from i like the 55. Take it for what it is, weird.

6. grabrr

grabrr

It's a car movie, watch it for the cars, not the acting.

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

8. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

When you watch it 6 times and know the history, come back to this thread and tell us whats up.

best movie :)

9. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Cool cars, always loved the 55. I know it is classic car movie, cult following, whatever. That is one strange piece of celluloid.

DAMN.

10. Motornoggin1

Motornoggin1

It's probably more "real" than any other car movie made. It's lack of story line and dialog is the plot. If you work to hard to try to understand it, you're gauranteed to miss the point.

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I read a story in a Playboy magazine about a movie they were going to make.
    A year later I was driving thru San Angelo Texas and saw a nice 55 Chevy in front of a movie theatre. I stopped to look at the car and saw that it matched the Chevy on the movie poster so I went in and watched the movie. As the movie progressed I recognized it as the Playboy movie story. They had changed the name of the movie to Two Lane Blacktop. When the movie ended I went out and the 55 in the parking lot was gone.

Great movie! Ratracing across the USA made as much sense as anything else that year.

12. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

it was a differnt time. things the suck now, dident then.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's an "art" film. You don't define art. You appreciate the parts that move you... then start wearing black clothes and hanging out at coffee shops, while working on a novel that's already taken 5 years to write and doing this so others can see you and think, "Hey, that guy must appreciate art because he's wearing black clothes and hanging out at coffee shops, while working on a novel that's already taken 5 years to write."

14. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

read between the lines bro ..acid trip

15. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

If your read between the lines like POPROCKCRUSHER said.
    Goerge Lucas made American Graffiti. Study that and Vanishing Point!

16. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

hahaha good one.....an old biker mentor told me the driver (James Taylor) blew his mind from all them drugs.....then again I have to question all the drugs my mentor was doing

17. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hell, I AM an artist.....Mural artist, been doing this since 98, I appreciate different art, strange art, and just plain off the wall, gonzo shit. It is cool that they shot it for like $75k. They shot it in sequence across the country as they went. I get that it won't be Oscar material, but I figured on a little more than that. I know the 70s were fucked, I grew up in them. Grew up with B.J and the bear, smokey and the bandit, Land of the lost......Damn. Loved the Wraith in the 80s..not cenematic genius, either, but much easier to watch.

I can appreciate the flick, but I don't get the status following.

18. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

O.K......now go punch yourself in the junk twice for even bringing that up......

19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Like "other" movies that aren't watched for the acting.

Scotty

20. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The movie wasnt about the 70s. It was about a HOTROD and a RACE. For those of us who grew up in the 50s, the movie was GREAT. I remember having to analyse and critique every sentence of a story in English Class. This movie is not like that, its just pure America

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Besides the car action, any good T&A in it? Wondering if I should check it out myself sometime.

22. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

No you pervert :)
    Its about a hotrod running across America

23. DVD makes it easy to watch just the cars and races. Doesnt take as long to watch it that way.

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not even a little? What is the chick doing in movie then? :)

25. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Shes just acting as stupid as most chicks act

26. I know what you're looking for: a work of art where "the road" offers a place of freedom, discovery, self-reflection, and ultimately redemption. If you want that, go read Kerouac's On the Road or Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Two-Lane is road noir. The road is just the road. Don't go looking for anything more, 'cause there ain't nothing else there.

That's the whole movie.

27. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, that seems a little harsh. I'm sure she is a nice girl.

Here is the NYT's take on it for what it is worth.

28. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

She does the mechanic first, in the hotel room....you wait outside with the driver and listen to grunts and moans, then she does some kissing that probably leads to more with the driver in the car.

Driving cross country not leaving the car.....can you imagine how funky they all must be???

29. Gotcars?

Gotcars?
    BANNED

Back then car movies were pretty rare. So, we liked every single one we had offered to us. BUT, to watch them now, with current film technology is painful

30. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

So I seen one part of it where they went to Mary's Cafe...did they film that part here in Arizona because there is a Mary's Cafe off HWY89 that I drive by everyday and the building and background look EXACT.