Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 2 doors vs 4 doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. There are exceptions to every rule. What was cool to me at 18, probably ain't so cool now. That being said, the two wagons I have only came in 4 door models. Funny how all the cool old school experts always ask, is it a 2 door, when in fact if they knew anything, they would know it was never offered. Put a built big block in them and blow the doors off 95% of the cars you go against and that makes a 4 door cool to me and a hot rod wagon.

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  2. On the other hand, Squirrel is right. It is a real challenge for me to change my thinking about this. I still see 4-doors for what they were back in the day, practical, family grocery-getters. I think it's neat to see a nice one now just because it's a piece of history. Although I'm glad that there are guys building/preserving them, I can't help but think of them as parts cars for 2-doors. I'm a product of the car culture of the time. If you want to be traditional, well, that's how it was.

3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

My dad had told me that back in high-school that if you showed up in a 4-door everyone just assumed you were driving your mom or dads car. When I was in high-school, 20 years ago, there was less of a stigma associated with 4-door cars. Today, I'd bet there's none since you can hardly find a two door late model factory car.

For me, two doors are definitely cooler. If I were to own a four door it would have to be a hardtop or hacw suicide rear doors something like a 49-51 Merc. or an older Lincoln Continental.

4. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Rant /ON
    I hate it when guys try to make 4-door cars something they are not --> Case in point: removing the rear door handles to make them "appear" like it is a 2 door car. To me, it never works and makes the car look ridiculous. Accept the car for what it is.
    Rant /OFF

DSmoke and bobg1951chevy like this.
  5. I still prefer a 2 door. Cool or not cool is just a matter of opinion.

What I like are the guys that buy more doors and then make excuses for having them. Fuck it, I say you either like it or you don't.

Anyway I still prefer 2 doors.

6. We were surfers back in the day and I always watched out for station wagons with roof racks. Boards up top, people in the front and back seats. Open 2 doors on one side and you had a place to change clothes. I had a very nice '66 Caprice 4-door with a 396 and TH400 in it, a few dents here and there but it was fast. One side was grazed by a garbage truck in the Bronx.

One buddy had a '66 Chevelle 4-door sedan with a tricked out 427 and 4-speed. A real sleeper, poverty caps and it was quiet. One of those cars you wonder where it went.

7. Amen to that !

8. On the plus side it's two less doors I have to hang and gap correctly.

patmanta, Saxman and bobg1951chevy like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

one advantage of (some) 4 doors is that you can swipe the non-worn out rear latches, to put on the front doors :)

Saxman likes this.
  10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'll never ever been able to look a a moredoor , even our five gen family owned build & not initially think of it in a non "parts car sorta way" , Salvage only. Ex. Hmmm let's see ... good front clip, deck lid, steering column, driveline, & the like. We're restoring a memory with no desire to sell for a profit, no big deal. Not saying moredoor's are bad & they are a good way to get into the hobby or have cheap fun. But cooler ... than a 2 door one asks? As Mr. Spock would often say "that's highly illogical". :rolleyes: Flux

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    bobg1951chevy likes this.
  11. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

^^^damn I love me some Jimmies^^^ 4dr or not that rod is badass!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. I agree 100% with 95% of everything you just said. Obviously when talking strictly pre '64 hot rods and customs, absolutely 2 doors are way cooler, more desirable and way more valuable. I can't imagine that anyone really thinks their 4 door is better, or more valuable. I also like your used car salesman voice.

This is the one I would differ:
    "Don't try to tell me your 4dr is "cool" because it ain't."

A lot of people who passionately dig the strictly authorized HAMB cars, (I'm one, and hope to have a Model A rod), also dig old stockers and beaters just because they are cool old cars, and rarely seen on the streets anywhere. It would be a shame, and really suck for a lot of enthusiasts if all the old 4door stockers got parted out and crushed, leaving only 2 door cars that would even be more rare, exclusive, expensive and out of reach of the ordinary poor slob gear head who digs old iron.

I have one myself, rarely post pictures of it here, rarely mention it, never would start a thread about it, would never call it a hot rod, or a real custom, traditional, valuable, even particularly interesting.

But I do like messing with the engine, tearing it apart, rebuilding all the mechanicals myself (over and over, learning how it all works), Redoing the upholstery myself, I do love driving it with my wife and kids everyday to wherever we need to go. I like being the only old car I see on the road for weeks/months at a time.

It may not be cool, but to me it's cool, and to him too
    IMG_1477430571.989842.jpg

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

If a guy thinks having two doors less on his car than another guy's car makes him or his car "cooler", then I have to wonder where he is actually falling short in his expectations of himself.....some just need to put others down to bring themselves up....not only in our hobby does this happen but in all walks of life! Stop the hate! Lol!!

Funny thread....very entertaining to see those that "have" to be right about "everything " including how many or few doors are "cool".

old1946truck likes this.
  14. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

So I bought this 63 BelAir.....................because I liked it. Its a rust free survivor. Yes its a four door and if that's not bad enough its a 6cyl. stick. The thing is, I really don't give a rats ass what anybody else thinks. Is it cool ? I dunno. to me it is. Why? Because when I drive it it takes me back to the 60s and that puts a smile on MY face. 2014-11-03 14.55.58.jpg

williebill, wraymen, patmanta and 8 others like this.
  15. I've been guilty grabbing 4-door cars as parts cars in the past. And some were practically given to me.

One guy I knew many years ago had a 4-door '56 Chevy with a lot of $$ poured into it. Built 327 with tunnel ram, it sat high up on Cragers and Mickey Thompsons, but never looked right to me.

In the spring I may pick up another car, something stock and low maintenance, a 4-door would be fine if a clean one came along.

DSmoke likes this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

I don't believe theres any hate intended. You don't need to be a Rocket Scientist to figure out 2 doors are more in demand. The higher prices they bring tells the story. Until that changes theres no sense to argue about the subject.

Gary

DSmoke likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I think you miss the whole point about what is desirable, and why it's desirable. For me, it has nothing to do with how I value myself, or how I value other people. It has a lot to do with what cars look good, and make good hot rods. If you somehow can't separate them, maybe YOU are taking it too seriously?

:)

Ed Angel likes this.
  18. RMONTY

RMONTY

I can separate the two....my point exactly! I see cool in both two doors and four doors. Opinions people have don't make cars cool or not cool.....enough said!

19. I like both depending on the car. Some 4 doors are just flat-out ugly. I don't particularly like four door shoebox Fords or 40's Chevys in four door version. If a 4 door car has rear suicides I think it does wonders for looks. Currently I am on a slow search for a 4 door hardtop '61-'70 Caddy.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  20. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

And if having a 4dr isn't bad enough, I'm building a glass 32 roadster...............What the hell am I thinking!!??

21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Oh the horror! Oh the audacity!! That is soooo not cool!!!

Got any pics of it?

22. Got it. All cars are cool...or not cool. Anyway, it's not based on opinions. What is cool, anyway? See? it's just based on your opinion so it doesn't really matter! A turd could be cool if you want it to be. Of course, that would just be your opinion and opinions don't count. Maybe cool doesn't really exist. Anyway, everyone gets a trophy so no one feels bad...or uncool. Then everything is cool, right?

I tried to tell 'em this back in the 70's but they wouldn't listen. I tried telling those guys on Craigslist too, but they ignored my text messages. Bunch of haters.

My mama told me, son "don't take yourself too seriously and never lose your sense of humor. "That's cool", I said.

bobg1951chevy and RMONTY like this.
  23. [​IMG]
    Some cars transcend the whole argument.
    1979 was my freshman year in HS, none of us had anything older than '60s stuff. "Older'' people had the stuff in magazines. 4 doors weren't cool, but plenty T's, A's and 32-41 Ford rods were fo'do's. All so far out of my realm at the time the extra doors on cars like these didn't matter at all. Still don't, really.

24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

2 doors have became so cliche....:oops:....:D

RMONTY likes this.
  25. Back in the day We had a 63 ford Galaxie XL. 4dr. Htp. bucket seats console with auto shifter. loads of chrome and it just wasn't appealing to me. My core concept ,Good or bad, right or wrong is 4 drs are parts cars. At present I own a 62 olds dynamic 88 4 dr htp. Complete car 392 engine. And There is zero interest in it. I advertized here in the Hamb classifieds and zero interest. I have a solid 56 chevy 4 dr and cant even get$ 3,000 for a running car with a clear title. If I live long enough it will get the two door conversion.

chevy57dude likes this.
  26. "Falling short in his expectations of himself" ? ? ?
    " Some need to put others down to bring themselves up " ? ? ?
    I believe you're thinking beyond the entire situation.
    I get the idea that you're a 4 door fan, that's fine, leave it at that.

27. I take it your 6 cylinder has duals, since I see what looks like an exhaust pipe by the right front wheel opening area.
    Clean car !

28. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Who cares what other ppl think. That what makes us all different. To me i like 2 doors vs 4 but at same time if a nice 4 door came up ehh why not.

bobg1951chevy likes this.