Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 2 doors vs 4 doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Ah yes, when baby moon caps were really baby moon caps !

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    clunker likes this.
  2. Pictures ?

triman62 likes this.
  3. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I'm a 2 door guy building a 4 door at the moment simply because it's been in the family 5 generations. I don't despise the extra doors , the simple fact is I'm a 44 year old kid whose Dad graduated in 1964 & he has influenced me to be the 2 door kind since I was a kid. It just so happened his first car was a moredoor & now we are reviving it to his high school era's style which I really like. It's sure to be a fun driver. image.jpeg I myself am gonna gasser this 53 club coupe , someday. Flux image.jpeg

4. I am building a four door mainly because of the price and I personally liked the four door model of this car better than the extended truck area of the business coupe. I guess it varies from model to model for me, but cool is in the eyes of the beholder in my opinion. Hobo Jim
    IMG_2672.JPG

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  5. triman62

triman62

Well 2-door for me, I like the roof line of a notchback coupe over the fastback. 0316151520.jpg 0316151224.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What rock was that guy living under? He wanted 150 and you offered 140?:eek:... Got any pics? Still got it?

jeffd1988 and Tim like this.
  7. It's definitely a generational thing. I grew up knowing that 2 doors were cool and 4 doors sucked, while a lot of the young folks now-a-days don't see anything wrong with the 2 extra doors. Personally, I think that 2 doors always have better lines than the family barges.... however, my '40 is a two-many door and I'm kind of stuck with it cause it's been in the family for 75 years. Just wish my grandparents hadn't been so practical. However, it's getting a Cad installed which will make me feel somewhat better about it.

8. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg You will see 10 pre 1950 Anglias(2 door English Ford) for one(1) 4 door Prefect(4 door Anglia) I think the 4 dr Prefect makes a bitchin little race car or street car and the 4 doors are NOT nearly as noticeable because of the size and the rarity of the minuscule Ford.

Ron Funkhouser and warbird1 like this.
  9. I like both. If anything I don't want anything to do with hardtops.
    My Belairs are 2 doors.
    The Buick I'm restoring is a four door. Ppl tell me I'm wasting time and money on the wrong car.
    Lastly I really hate when someone parts out a perfect 4 door for a 2 door.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. primed34

primed34

I'm in the two door camp. Pre '34 four doors can be pretty cool but after that it gets a little dicey.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Other than the few 4 door hardtops, it's gotta be a 2 door. I grew up in the musclecar era and you didn't see any 4 door Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers. Even the mid and compact cars like Torino's, Chevelles, Novas, Mavericks, etc looked better in the two door version. That said, my OT personal vehicles both have four doors, an Expy and a F150 with rear suicide doors. They are good for their uses, but the old cars have to be 2 door. I much prefer to have my 3.5 year old Grandson in the rear seat of a two door or the suicide door truck, he can't open a door and fall out!

bobg1951chevy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Getting into the 70s cars, I agree these 4 doors mentioned weren't much to look at but I still enjoy the opportunity to see anything older going down the road today. I like em all just some better than others.

bobg1951chevy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. When I was in high school (in the 70s) there were degrees of cool. Some 2 doors were cooler than others but there were actually a few 4 doors that might be considered in the slightly "cool" category. They were mostly Cadillacs. About the most un-cool thing you could own was a 4-door with a 6 cylinder and three on the tree. If it happened to be an American Motors product with a six and 4-doors you were double un-cool, if that's even possible.

My first car was a 4-door but the 394 Olds motor at least kept me at the higher end of the un-cool list at my school. I was just slightly above the guy with the jacked up 4-door Nova.

I'm trying hard to change my thinking and not to think "parts car" when I see a four door, but it doesn't work mostly. Should I seek counseling?

14. Here is a 4-door that I think is spot-on (Bo Huff's).

[​IMG]

15. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

You mean like my old '61 Classic with a 6 and 3 on the tree? :D

PICT0052.JPG

bobss396 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. There's a big part of all you guys that ONLY likes your kind of hot rods, I get it, but there's gotta be just a LITTLE part of you that just digs old cars, no? That's a cool old car right there, little two tone Rambler ready to go out on the open road, fearing nothing (but a headwind).

17. Some are different.
    This is one I would be happy with!
    cadillac_eldorado_brougham_41.jpeg

18. Guess I've always been odd. No cars allowed in hs and hung with the smart crowd, didn't know the word 'cool' except as the temperature of my Pepsi. I had Gene Winfield shave and paint the family 4 door '50 Merc and had tuck & roll interior added, I was proud of my ride and the girls I dated weren't into cars, just me. I'm duplicating that car now to regain my youth (anyone think that works?) and have recently learned that 2 door '50 Mercs are gobs easier to chop hence they command greater value but I don't like chopped, its disproportionate. Cool is for my next life, as a lifetime of happiness for me has primarily been 4 doors because so I can stretch out in back and let the progeny drive.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I was always and still am a 2 door guy, in 1967 when I was a senior in high school I totaled my 62
    Galaxie 500 XL 406 car. Needing a car to get to school and work,I found an ex Michigan state police 59
    Ford 4 door with a police interceptor 352. People laughed at the 4 doors until I would challenge them to
    a top end run on a country highway. That old ford would run on top end. The word got around and the laughing stopped. More doors can be cool too.

20. DSmoke

DSmoke

I'm 42 and for a hot rod, prefer a 2 door. I am not opposed to a 4 door as I've seen some great custom 4 doors. I think it all comes down to execution, don't make it look 2 door. I wanted something that I can cruise with the family and nieces and nephews, so I bought a 4 door 56 Ford 8 passenger wagon. But most important enjoy what you have and do what you want with it.

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have had a bunch of fun in my 4 door for cheep.
    Guess I would of made the 130 club if I 2 less doors.

22. Unfortunately, yes. :) When I was in high school that would have been seen as granny's car (remember, they weren't that old or uncommon then). Now I look at it and I see a neat old car that I would walk around a time or two just because it brings back memories of when cars like that were on the streets, cool or not. I'm actually glad that someone cared enough to preserve it.

You're right, Clunker. I do just dig old cars, in general and that Rambler is cool in it's own way. My brother-in-law, the computer guy, owned one in the 60s. So did Mrs. Brown, the old lady whose yard I took care of in the 70s. It wasn't cool back in the day but now it's kind of like running into that dorky, nerdy kid from high school after 40 years and you realize that it actually made you feel good to see him again and know that he was still around.

23. Rodders

Rodders

I am a 4 door guy on anything under 1940 I think the 4 door model A and 32 through 34 or just Kool when they are built right. But that's my opinion.

24. autobilly

autobilly

I'm obviously not as cool as most of you guys.:(

25. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Four (4) door cars are a lot like masturbation, real fun while you driving but you don't tell anyone it is a 4 door.

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

All we got down here were poverty pack more (4) doors, anything with less doors or body style other than a sedan was imported; i.e. pillarless, coupe, convertible and wagon. All the major players were too stingy and dicated what the consumer got based on their view of the world.

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

I damn near became the pilot of one of these once upon a time. Late '60s, my grandfather passed away. My grandmother wanted to give granddads Rambler to me as I would be getting my DL soon (15). It was a V8/auto, maroon/silver top 4dr and clean as they come. My mother, who didn't drive, or own a car, nixed it. Wheels was wheels at that point in life, I'd have gladly took it. I guess Ma figured I'd hurt myself with all that V8 Rambler power. :D

low budget and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  28. I wasn't going to give my opinion on this thread. One, because I love all old cars, and second, because I've never built a 4 door. I do think it is an age thing. I can remember when, If it wasn't a coupe, roadster, or a vette it wasn't cool. { my opinion}. Basically anything with extra doors or even a rear seat, for that matter. I paid $100. for my 29 coupe body back in 1978. I should have paid $ 1ooo. or more, for a 32 body. Because the longer that I have her, and more history that I make with her, the more valuable she becomes to me. Now days, I would not trade her for any 32 coupe. Just like I would not trade my Wife for a 32 year old either. lol All I'm trying to say is, if your like me, you had better build what you like. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see every old car saved! And I have rescued lots of 4 doors. I just don't have the money or space to keep one for myself. Do I think that rear seats and more doors are COOL now days? I SURE DO ! Ron...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  29. This thread seems really simple to a simple guy
    like me. Do what you do for yourself. If the next guy
    likes it you will be lucky. But don't be surprised if
    nobody else likes it when it has 4 doors.
    If you are building, don't bother with a 4 door because
    unless it is exotic in some way, chances are nobody else
    will like it as much as you do, assuming you like it in the first place.
    On the plus side, 4 doors tend to be in better condition,
    therfore the are usually not in as great need of work to be drivers.
    Here is one current example.
    I have been watching 2 Ford sedans. Both 1940, and both
    are really nice drivers. The prices were about the same.
    The tudor sold in a week, the fordor, which was more original,
    is still out there after a month. You could probably get the fordor
    now for a third less than the tudor, and yet nobody is buying.
    Just my $.02.

warbird1 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  30. Hot_Rod_Hellbilly

Hot_Rod_Hellbilly
    from Texas

I picked up my 4 door 53 Mercury just driving through the country side one day, I didn't care for it because it was a 4 door but once I found out it had the flathead in it and it was the last year for it, I kinda grow alittle more fond of this 4 door haha. I picked it up for $700 and it was pretty straight and I'm the 3rd owner of the car. I do like the 2 doors alittle more but after working on this car it's kinda grown on me.