Register now to get rid of these ads!

2 barrel carburetors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Nov 15, 2010.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I have a 259 .030 over hemi that i want to run a 3x2 intake on and i am looking for some two barrels that wont break the bank to bad. i want to run progresive linkage. The only intake i have found has a three bolt pattern. What do you guys recomend as far as carbs and what size, 350 in the center and two 500s or alll 350 ect.
    thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

general rule of thumb with carbs is 1 1/2 x CI= CFM, there are other more precise ones but that is the simplest, So 259x1.5=388cfm. Holley 94's and strombergs 97's are both around 170 cfm each, so 510cfm, a little big, but ran progressive should work good.

Now 97's are classier but over $100 for a core, 94's are plenty cool and only around $30 each for cores, they are both equally good, so its your decision, guys on here also offer rebuilds and rebuild services for both. Now as other carbs go there arent a lot with 3 bolt bases, but there are adapers, 3 small base rochesters will be 600 or more cfm but they are more modern carbs, and are a good choice, but most people wouldnt consider them as cool, but they are right at home too

As the carbs you mentioned, i'd think that'd be a little too much, even for a pretty warm motor IF i had my heart set on those carbs i'd go the smallest possable

3. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

Im not set on those carbs at all its just what i saw some people using but then agian the wat on a sbc. looks like the 94s are going to be the way to go.

4. MERC 55

MERC 55

Of course you could get 3 bolt to wide 4 bolt adaptors and use motocraft 2100's.

5. Stromberg 97s is what you want but they can be pricey.

With some simple adaptors or even a redrill you can run Rochestor 2Gs. They will be cheaper don;t look bad and are a superior carb. They come in 2 bore sizes 1 11/16 and 1 7/16. Ideally you want the big one as your primary and the small ones as your secondaries.

In theroy you could possibly come up with between 900 and 1200 cfm if you buy your carbs right. I would shoot for the lower number.

There is a book by Doug Roe published by HP Books called Rochestor Carburetors that will be worth its weight in gold to you for carb selection and setup. it sells for around 25 bucks delivered from Summit racing or maybe you can find it at a book store for less.

6. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

If I go with the holleys it seams like there is a bunch of versions which one do I want

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

basicly there are only a few versions, the holley 94 and the holley 92, the 94 is a .94 diameter venturi for the 38-53 ford flathead v-8's and the 92 is a .92 diameter venturi for the v-8 60's and is pretty uncommon. There are larger variants too that came mostly on Y-blocks which shouldnt be overlooked either, just make sure you match the venturi sizes they come up to 1 3/16 or 1 5/16 venturi's. I dont know about these, but id assume they are just as good only bigger

But closer to your problem, you can get away with grabbing the first 3 decent carbs that say 94 on the back of them, but if given a choice id go with 1938-48 ones that say on the side of the bowl 21-29, 91-99, or 59 because they dont have a venturi vacumn port on the back side of the carb. Second choice would be the 1949-53 8ba or eab, but only because of having that port that needs to be pluged. There are plenty of them out there so dont hesitate to be picky and it also isnt a bad idea to try to match them. There are still a lot of variants even if you get carbs that look identical from the outside, some of the internal parts that may be a little different, but shouldnt be a problem