Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 2 '59 chevy pickups... traditional twins??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wheelie, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

So if you got a steal on 2 perfect donor 1959 Apache shortbed stepsides and you were thinking of doing twins which route would YOU go? I am thinking traditional and doing one in satin white and one in asshole satin black. The Yin and Yang so to speak. So here's the dilemma, If we go trad. on them they will ride and drive fairly shitty. I want to drive these things and I love mustang II set-ups, but its not traditional. I also want them to ride decent on the hwy and not beat the shit out of my family as we cruise around. So, any ideas on how to stick traditional but have the comforts? I like super low and both will have era v-8's and I may do mechanical injection. I am close to saying screw it and do the mustang II with a rear 4 link but something keeps telling me to stay traditional and do drop axles and springs. yes I know its not as traditional as a '32 pickup but it's what I like. Thanks beforehand for the input.:cool:

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

"Trad" is ONLY for those purists...Yep...screw it...!!! If you want to drive your car, at highway speeds...update it and do it safely...there is no "rule" that says you have to stay with antiquated equipment...look at ANY hot rod...none of them came with SBC's, or disc brakes...or safety plate glass...or automatic transmissions...

R-

3. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Go with the camaro subframe! Its simple, smooth riding, disc brakes, sway bar, lowered stance, and power steering.

If you want to go traditional then your only option is to go with dropped axle, and possies springs. You can also convert over disc brakes.

4. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

Ya, I am with you on that. I am no purist but I like "original" style rods. Safety is definitly my first priority especially concerning my family riding around with me. Maybe I can save the trad. rod for my future A pickup.

edit for yule:
    Thanks for the input. My opinion on the camaro subframe is that its a kinda an ugly way to get disc brakes and p/s. ,I want to keep the frame original. Mustang II is the ideal way for me if I go that route. Welder series to be exact.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

keep the hood closed and the fenders on and no one knows the difference.

6. Wheelie

Wheelie
    from Dallas

I guess you guys don't like the idea of a ford suspension in a chevy :p

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only ford part on my MII is the spindles.

what's a "traditional" 59 chev truck look like?

8. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

ok, well ask around with guys that have a big truck with a MII. Ive never heard of someone being all togeather happy about it. The MII wasnt designed for something this big and doesnt handle the greatest. I know there is a new following for the dakota front end. And they are making tube A-arms for them I think.

I bought a 55 for my next project and Ive done all the research on just the same ideas. I desided I wanted a driver for my truck, so I dont care what the subframe looks like. under the hood isnt going to be seen by anyone. I wanted the cheapest most comfortable riding, and best performing suspension. And the $100 subframe will do everything I need.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Up to the point you posted this, I didn't read anything about not liking Ford stuff in a Chevy...why are you making this into a drama thread...???

If you want to put a MII in it, do it...

R-

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Shiny for one thing....

Mustang II's are a little lightweight for those trucks... Look at Industrial Chassis Dakota setup... ELpolacko knows what he's doing...

11. They won't ride crappy just traditional.

There is nothing in the world wrong with the way an old truck rides and drives unless you're after the late model street rod experience.

Here's a thought, try softening up the springs and installing sway bars, and a decent set of shocks. Damn what a concept.

12. Right on Pork'n Beaner!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

14. this makes no sense

15. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Well no....
    But there is ALOT more strength in the camaro than the MII.

Doesnt matter, niether are "traditional". Ive found that there isnt any real good way to make these trucks "Traditional" anyways except to restore it.

16. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Here is my '55 with a '59 nose on it, I trated it for a rat rod that I built. This truck has a Camero front clip, power steering/brakes, Fireberd posi rear, fresh 350/350...the only thing I did to it was put '60's Impala wheels with bias plys and its half way painted flat black..its 20 degrees now so Ill finish the paint and post pics in the spring...I love this truck!! Its a really dependable daily driver...(When there isnt snow and ice blocking the F'n driveway!!) Good luck with your trucks.

[​IMG]

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

But there is ALOT more strength in the camaro than the MII.

where?

18. Dude, come on. The average 2nd generation F-body weighs 3600 lbs or more. The later models with power everything often weigh over 3800 lbs, and people drove the youknowwhat out of them.

19. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

It sounds like you have your mind made up ,your just looking for approval...the old cars and trucks did'nt ride crappy....I agree with porknbeaner

20. Third here.
    Tire technology was a huge part of how older cars behaved o the road.

21. you guys must have never taken one of these over a set of rough rail road tracks, your fillings as well as all the contents of the glove box would come out every time..lol

22. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

I slow down at the tracks....... slow................no matter what Im driving

23. RichG

RichG

If you want a decent ride on the stock setup, use posies springs with the teflon buttons, a disc brake kit, and the kingpins kits with with bearings instead of bushings. Modern shocks all the way around won't hurt either. The steering isn't all that heavy in those trucks anyways, but the kingpin kit will lighten it up enough to make you forget you don't have power steering.

Out back, posies springs again. That's about it.

For me it would be a toss up between doing this and the camaro clip. The camaro clips are breeze to install from what I've seen. Find the April '03 edition of Truckin' magazine, they did an install using a couple pieces of allthread and some angle iron for installation guides.

24. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Why are there so few people that can spell Camaro correctly? I see it on Ebray, Craigslist and even in here..... a place for car folks - it is not Camero...it is Camaro.

dj

25. RichG

RichG

Be careful, the last thing we need is for the spelling police to come after us all. Next thing you know the punctuation patrol will smack their cuffs on us...

Attached Files:

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[​IMG]

lol, stock suspension, tons of miles, here it is after a 1200 mile trip to the HAMB Drags a few years back, then took it 1200 miles home. I took train tracks at regular speed all the time...

27. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lmao.... Ebray? :D:D:D

28. RichG

RichG

...I tried to warn him:rolleyes:...

29. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

[​IMG]

My '57 Chevy truck with fairly stock suspension (flipped main leaves) and 31" tall tires is my DAILY DRIVER (everyday), and so far has taken me to the four corners of California. 12k miles so far!!

It rides a little hard, but these trucks were built for MEN when MEN were MEN, they're not soft and cushy like newer trucks built for girls...

30. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

buy a 05 silverado they ride nice and go highway speeds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.