Register now to get rid of these ads!

2.5" Rams Horn Exhaust...are they worth installing over headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Brzezinski manifolds are real nice. I had used a set on a stock car where stock manifolds were mandated.

I am basically anti-header for street use. It took me a while to learn this and you really do not get any performance benefit unless you "tune" them in conjunction with a dyno.

Bob

arkiehotrods likes this.
  2. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I used the rams horns that came on my '66 283 for three reasons. First off I wanted a late 50s/early 60s look for my 5W. Second, the drivers side rams horn sweeps back and clears the steering. And lastly I saved $$$$ by using them.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod and arkiehotrods like this.
  3. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

The best kept secret to keeping headers from leaking is permatex ultra copper. Also remember to properly torque the bolts. Torque them down again after a few heat cycles and you should be good to go.

4. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Just for giggles, I punched in 1966 Corvette, 327cid, and came up with this from the Dorman catalog:

p/n 674-500 (left side, square bracket) and p/n 674-501 (right side).

The applications: "1980-69 Corvette 5.7L (350 CID), 1968-66 Corvette 5.4L (327 CID), 1957 Corvette 4.6L (283 CID), 1990-83 Medium Duty, School Bus 5.7L; LH & RH"

I was not expecting school bus to show up.

1963 FI Corvette:
    p/n 674-503 and p/n 674-504

If your FLAPS has a 'help!' section, they'll be able to order these in. Wonder what the price would be though. How much coming from Speedway?

Alex.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. The rams that have the outlets sweep back were common on trucks for a while, my '72 has them. Also, from the factory they used no gaskets between them and the block, no sealer, just two machined surfaces both of cast iron.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

swap meet is still the cheapest, oreilly has em for about $129 a pop. :)

1Nimrod and arkiehotrods like this.
  7. Truckedup

Truckedup

The 2 inch outlet Ram's Horn manifolds work well on mildy tuned engines.On my off topic 78 El Camino I installed the swept back Ram's Horn's,both sides swept back.I don't know the original application or if the two manifolds are matched,no generator cast mounting lugs,but they were inexpensive.A little clean up work inside and port matching.This El Camino has a center crossmember and the manifolds did clear it by just enough and the left side clears the clutch linkage Z bar no problem.Even cleared the AC bracket.
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

Will they work with angle plug heads?

9. nutajunka

nutajunka

Seems to me that any older 350 with at least 300 hp from the factory had the bigger manifolds. I compared a set from a 69 350 to a set of 65 283 and there was a big difference.

10. skunx1964

skunx1964

well, my 355 wouldnt run cool with them. held way too much heat in the head, cooked the intake gaskets twice. swapped to full length headers and havent had a real problem since, unless i get caught in bad traffic or something. just my 2 cents.....

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Larry T

Larry T

Couple of observations. The rams horn manifolds work best with stock tin heatshields.
    And if you buy good thick flanged, heavy tubed headers, they don't need near the maintenance of the cheap headers.
    Larry T

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

>1963 FI Corvette:
    p/n 674-503 and p/n 674-504

$89.99/ea. at Kragen/Checker/Shucks/O'Reilly or their corporate affiliates.
    $83.99/ea. at Autozone or ....

I am not sure about the policy, but I think that you can get them sent to the store, without paying shipping.

Oh, and I have had good luck 'deleting' stuff from iron parts by grinding smooth with a 120g flap wheel, and then sandblasting the whole part (less the sealing surfaces, or course).

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. junior 1957

junior 1957

i purchased a set off of ebay a while back. they both look like this. but no brackets, or other junk. made heavier than gm ones and reasonbly priced. i think the ones from speedway look too much like 312 ford units...

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a LEFT (3797901) manifold, showing no bracket. It must have been removed. I am unaware that they came without a bracket under that part number.

Oh, and left fits right, and vice versa, without the bracket, as shown in the picture. Yep that is a left manifold, on the right side. Note the LH under the part number.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    1Nimrod likes this.
  15. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

Dorman products has new rams horn manifolds and can be purchased through any auto parts store.

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

ha you beat me to it!i used to work for carquest and would order these for people they are way more than speedway is sellin em for!at the time 10 yrs ago they were 150 a side!

17. fast68chevy

fast68chevy

i agree with unclee and missysdad, yep!

im looking to go with hogged-out and smoothed/polished 2" rams horns manifolds - with my mostly stock 350 (with a towing truck cam and milled down or iron-eagle heads with stock Z28 springs) flat tappet cam with modified L-82 M4ME carb in my '75 C-20 truck so i can dual exhaust it with a pre-made exhaust pipes kit for the '72-older stye trucks.

because no one makes/carries this exhaust for the '73-up SBC log stye manifolds trucks..

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  18. TCATTC

TCATTC

I'll take rams horn manifolds over shorty or block huger headers any day. Headers are one thing that the old saying "You get what you pay for" is true. A $99 set of headers will cause you countless hours of grief but most likely a high dollar (and they are just that these days) set will be trouble free for years.

1Nimrod and bchctybob like this.
  19. TCATTC

TCATTC

$47.79 ea. on Rock Auto right now

1Nimrod and irishsteve like this.
  20. junkhorder

junkhorder

My experience in my trucks has been that the rams horns work well on the 283 - 327 stock small valve motors but restrict flow too much on bigger motors with 1.94/1.50 or 2.02/1.60 heads. The first 406 I put in a 65 c10 reusing rams horn dual exhaust choked the motor and made it run hot. Switched to Hooker truck headers with flowmaster 2 stage mufflers and had a raped ape. Remember , the first night out has to be with six feet of open pipe. After the tickets mufflers really do sound better but that first night is a pisser.

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Wow a 12 -yr-old thread back from the dead!

22. Careful with the online manifolds.Some like Rock Auto have fittings for air rails for pollution .The brass plugs dont look so cool.

1Nimrod and Hotrodmyk like this.
  23. msgt tank

msgt tank

headers need the flange smoothed on a belt or an orbital sander. they will seal up with cheap paper gaskets and the leaks are gone. the bolts won't come loose. put a straight edge on the flange and you will see why they don't seal. we sand the flange on every set of headers and there are no problems.

24. Blake 27

Blake 27

I used two 2" right side rams, smoothed, and ceramic coated.
    On my 290HP stock crate motor with 2" SS exhaust pipes, I'm very happy with the performance.
    Obviously street driven and never revved over 5,000 RPM.
    When they were coated, both the inside and outside were covered. They seem to run really cool.
    Before coating I trued the gasket surface using sandpaper glued on my table saw table. I was amazed how un-flat they were. DSC074971.JPG

25. bchctybob

bchctybob

I would definitely pick Chevy ram horns over shorty or block huggers for a stock or mild performance engine but once you add better heads, more cam and compression I think you need a good set of long tube headers to get the best out of the combination.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Just use a quality set of headers with 3/8 flanges. ;)

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  27. 54vicky

54vicky

not the first and probably not the last:rolleyes::rolleyes:

seb fontana likes this.
  28. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I wonder what the folks over on Speed talk have to say. The member named "exhausted" is highly qualified and makes the point a 10" or so long, smallish diameter individual pipe off each port is a key ingredient to building midrange torque, in part by snubbing reversion, which really messes up carburetion.

29. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Rams sound so nice with a pair of Porter mufflers and a dedicated exhaust, no X or H pipe..

30. Budget36

Budget36

I like the look of rams horns on prewar cars that don’t have a hood, or hood sides. For the most part headers don’t start making/freeing / etc power until you start winding the engine up.